The Art of Stupidity

The bind moggles................. :cool:

STELLA AWARDS 2010:

It's time again for the annual 'Stella Awards'! For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico , where she purchased coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right? That's right; these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S.

*SEVENTH PLACE*

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son.

* SIXTH PLACE *

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles , California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

* FIFTH PLACE *

Terrence Dickson, of Bristol , Pennsylvania , who was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT days and survive on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish.

*FOURTH PLACE*

Jerry Williams, of Little Rock, Arkansas, garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.

* THIRD PLACE *

Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

*SECOND PLACE*

Kara Walton, of Claymont , Delaware sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000...., plus dental expenses.

* FIRST PLACE *

This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was: Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who purchased new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down?
$1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.

:eek:

Yes I believe these are all urban myths as oppose to the lady who was on the news yesterday. She suing a shopping centre for posting a video of her on the net. It is very very funny, she is texting on her phone and walks straight into the shopping centres water fountain

Jezza

But there are plenty true stories out there like the guy in Campbelltown who walking home pizzed as a fart fell down a ditch on the side of the road and was awarded a few Ks after suing council.
And the guy who dove in to the sand bed (Bondi?)

Yes I believe these are all urban myths as oppose to the lady who was on the news yesterday. She suing a shopping centre for posting a video of her on the net. It is very very funny, she is texting on her phone and walks straight into the shopping centres water fountain

Jezza

The ironic thing is that pretty much no one would have known who she was. Now she's known worldwide as 'the moron who fell into a water fountain while texting.''

On a side note, I HATE it when people walk and text at the same time. I feel like punching them in the face. You absolutely have to text some inane useless crap to your friend right now? Stop walking, stand to the side, make your text and stop freaking bumping into people, you idiot.

Jezza

Saw that - agree it was funny! :D BUT, I also think that this should not have been released. If she was suing the SC because she fell in (maybe with the excuse that there were insufficient barriers) I'd say that was frivolous. Suing because the video was released... just slightly up the scale a bit from frivolous, IMO.

She's completely unrecognisable in the video. People now will know who she is, because she wants to go for a quick cash grab. I hope she loses and has to live with the shame of not only being a complete moron, but being a complete greedy moron for the rest of her life.

She's completely unrecognisable in the video. People now will know who she is, because she wants to go for a quick cash grab. I hope she loses and has to live with the shame of not only being a complete moron, but being a complete greedy moron for the rest of her life.

True........

I used to subscribe to the newsletters from the Stella Awards website, but it became too much, even just the actual confirmed cases. The fact that those sorts of lawsuits aren't thrown out in the first place, and worse, are often awarded significant damages makes me fear for the future of the human race.

Hear, hear.
You couldn't tell it was her. She 'fessed up. What a goose.

On a side note, I HATE it when people walk and text at the same time. I feel like punching them in the face. You absolutely have to text some inane useless crap to your friend right now? Stop walking, stand to the side, make your text and stop freaking bumping into people, you idiot.

Next, you'll be suggesting we use common sense and common courtesy in our normal day to day lives Mark.

Come on man, I'm too busy doing way to much important stuff for all that errrr "poltical correctness"

Unfortunately, this appears to be where we are heading

The Stella Liebeck case, after whom the awards are named is a real case.

The quoted story is largely misreported. The settlement was under $600,000 and the original amount asked for was only $18,000. The burns were 3rd degree burns to (I believe) 6% of her body and required significant hospitalisation and further care.

The reason the amounts escalated was because McDonalds served their coffee far hotter than needed, and had ignored similar incidents. It was more of a backlash against them for ignoring the problem.

You can look it up on wikipedia.

The Stella Liebeck case, after whom the awards are named is a real case.

The quoted story is largely misreported. The settlement was under $600,000 and the original amount asked for was only $18,000. The burns were 3rd degree burns to (I believe) 6% of her body and required significant hospitalisation and further care.

The reason the amounts escalated was because McDonalds served their coffee far hotter than needed, and had ignored similar incidents. It was more of a backlash against them for ignoring the problem.

You can look it up on wikipedia.

Awww, come on, tubs! Don't let facts get in the way of a good "only in America" story! ;):D

Back