The ATO power of data matching

ATO + Centrelink + Immigration are also linked. Pension holders can no longer leave the country for more than 6 weeks or they lose their pension.

No longer can people spend our winter in their homeland summer and receive the govt pension.

centrelink should just be merged with ATO and be done with it. scrap all these ridiculous rebates and welfare for all classes and drop the marginal rate to reflect the change. then dismiss half the staff at centrelink and the govt could bank all those staff costs.

Pension

ATO + Centrelink + Immigration are also linked. Pension holders can no longer leave the country for more than 6 weeks or they lose their pension.

No longer can people spend our winter in their homeland summer and receive the govt pension.

Really? Is this the latest? where did you get info from?

I have a Malaysian friend who goes back with hubby and spent 6 months happily on her pension.

I just came back from Chiangmai, Thailand and know this Aussie bloke who bought this booming restaurant there. He just turned 65 and has to come back to live for another 2 years till he is eligible for pension at 67...then he is off back to Chiangmai...now he will not be happy to hear that if i were to tell him this latest news:eek:

Really? Is this the latest? where did you get info from?

I have a Malaysian friend who goes back with hubby and spent 6 months happily on her pension.

I just came back from Chiangmai, Thailand and know this Aussie bloke who bought this booming restaurant there. He just turned 65 and has to come back to live for another 2 years till he is eligible for pension at 67...then he is off back to Chiangmai...now he will not be happy to hear that if i were to tell him this latest news:eek:

I was going on what my Dad told me so I've looked it up - looks like it might just be the supplement affected.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia

Rule changes from January 1 2013

Age Pension and Pension Supplement
You can get Age Pension for the whole time you’re overseas, regardless of whether you leave Australia temporarily or permanently. The rate of Pension Supplement you receive will reduce on departure if you leave Australia permanently, or after six weeks if you leave Australia temporarily.

The amount you receive may change again if you remain outside Australia for more than 26 weeks. If you're travelling to New Zealand, the amount you receive may be affected by the social security agreement between Australia and New Zealand.

If you returned to live in Australia and were granted or transferred to Age Pension within the last two years, you will not be able to receive your Age Pension outside the country. After you return, to be paid outside the country, you must have been living in Australia for two years since your last arrival for residence. If you travel to a country that Australia has a social security agreement with, you may be able to continue to get your payment under that social security agreement.

Age Pension when overseas

Phew! sounds okay....

I knew there was something about half a year living overseas as my Malaysian friend is very careful whenever 6 months is up :D

Back