The big one is coming say preppers

Imagine travelling 3hrs for a commute to and from work. Bloody ridiculous! So many better things to do with those hours.

When I was living in Melb if I wasn't working from home I had a 1.5hr commute each way into the city.

Now my commute is about 30 seconds but if I take a detour via the kitchen for breakfast it's about 3 minutes.

I will be increasing my commute in the next couple of weeks though which will turn into a 4 minute bike ride or under 3 mins if I pedal hard :D

Imagine travelling 3hrs for a commute to and from work. Bloody ridiculous! So many better things to do with those hours.
I once saw this couple on some show like ACA who were doing a commute like this...

Had young kids, both worked in the Sydney CBD, had to get up at sparrow's to get the kids ready for daycare :eek: before travelling to work, home at dark.

Insane.

They had moved there so they could buy the you-beaut house, had the too-much-car-for-the-income scenario each.

I'm thinking; get rid of the exotic cars, buy a smaller house closer in and have a life.

The Joneses.

Have you considered that mate? :)
I haven't got a car to get rid of (we only have one car), I live 1 km from work and ride the bike, the house will be next.

Currently working on loan restructuring which might free up some cashflow, but if that doesn't come off; selling house.

The difference between us and that couple is; we were stupid like them but in a different way - didn't go out and hock ourselves up with exotic cars and a McMansion house with a huge loan, childcare fees and a $1k per month fuel bill for the commute...we were stupid and bought a business which we thought would be a good move, but is a dud.

I haven't got a car to get rid of (we only have one car), I live 1 km from work and ride the bike, the house will be next.

Currently working on loan restructuring which might free up some cashflow, but if that doesn't come off; selling house.

The difference between us and that couple is; we were stupid like them but in a different way - didn't go out and hock ourselves up with exotic cars and a McMansion house with a huge loan, childcare fees and a $1k per month fuel bill for the commute...we were stupid and bought a business which we thought would be a good move, but is a dud.

I seen that show too. Couldn,t believe the stupidity of the choices they had made to "look good" in the eyes of all those around them with big house flash cars. They had it all except time. Wonder where they are now ?
Cheers
Yadreamin

My commute is about 3h 15m total. I use it to read and I get in 40 minutes of walking every day, so in that respect it's good. When we picked this block I didn't think I would mind this commute even with children. But when my son was actually born I quickly changed my mind. I now have 2 kids and I hate being away from them for that extra time, on some days it can be very difficult. On the bright side, living here means I had no mortgage and was thus able to borrow against the house to buy IPs.

Last edited:
Was talking to a bloke this morning, who is the GM of a larger shopping complex in Dandenong. (think along lines of complex similar to Chadstone, Southland etc - a little smaller)

Historical vacancy rates in the complex run at approx 6-7%, but last year and currently; 16.5%.

One very large Jean store franchise has put a proposal in for a no/low-rent lease, with only percentage of turnover as payment to the complex.

Back