The big trip. Choosing an appropriate, reliable 4x4 and tow.

Since mid August I've done 65,000k in an 01 troop carrier - about 20k of that towing a 30ft 3.5ton trailer. I've (20 something female with not much history dealing with cars) done most of the general maintenance (oil/oil filter change, belt tighten and change, grease points etc) with mechanic services done once every 30,000k to check everything over and take care of brakes etc.

It's been brilliant.

It's also done some bush bashing, handled a full 11 adults, been camped in etc.

Love it.

Oh, and also Whitzl.

You say many 'modern' vans have 12v, does this mean that 12v is rare on older models? In which case we may have to 'gene' it?

Thanks mate.

most vans will have 12V... but more modern vans will have both 240V and 12V circuits, as i detailled in the PM.

Not a lot to add to the above, I figure you have to work out what you want to see and where you want to go IE serious off road or staying on the black stuff, crossing creeks, deserts etc.

Just keep in mind the towing capacity of the vehicle is not exceeded by a fully laden caravan.

This is a excellent site www.exploroz.com and you will get plenty of info to help you in making up your mind of the type of vehicle. In addition the site will have plenty info ie places to visit, trips ideas, fuel costs, how to set up a vehicle, gear to take, etc etc.

I will be looking at doing the same thing in a couple of years caravan and tow vehicle. Have fun.

Brian

The dsl v petrol debate is always a good one.

A lot has changed over the last 20 years where dsl reigned over petrol engines economy wise. These days a vehicle on petrol and LPG will be more fuel efficient, especially with the new sequential II gas fittings. Diesel on the other hand will give better off road performance in slow tight rocky stuff but if your petrol has a rock crawler gear then that is just as good. Water crossings still favor the diesel but oil changes go towards petrol with 10K changes as compared to 5K for diesels. Servicing is on par these days with timing belt changes and full service including plugs for petrols at 100K intervals. You can also get diesel gas systems which actually give more power for about the same running costs as if using just diesel plus the gas keeps the oil cleaner allowing 7.5K oil changes or even longer. My preference is still for the diesel as an off road camping vehicle.

This is my Expanda van and Pajero exceed turbo Diesel 4wd,suitable for the growing family,16foot in length,expands out to around 22foot,off road for the dirt tracks.You get extra height for camping near the rivers.:p
I prefer the comfort of air conditioning,solar 240V power,all the mod cons,
However I still like the camping out feeling of a tent,hence the Expanda offroad van.

I prefer turbo Diesel for the pulling power and fuel economy,I sometimes look down and see the speedo sitting on 130kms hour so lots of comfortable power,

Attachments

• caravan and pajero.jpg
    caravan and pajero.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 110
I would go for a caravan over a camper trailer if you plan on short stays. Campers are obviously better for fuel economy, but even though most of them are now relatively easy and quick to set up, you don't want to be doing it in the dark or in the rain too often.
Also if you want to pull up for a quick cuppa at a rest area, you just open the door on a caravan and away you go. A poptop caravan is a good compromise, simply walk in, and push up about 18" of roof, they are better for wind resistance (especially if you fit a wind deflector to your car).
I worked for my Dad when I left school in his caravan & camping business for 20 years, so have had PLENTY of caravan and camper holidays :)

The dsl v petrol debate is always a good one.

A lot has changed over the last 20 years where dsl reigned over petrol engines economy wise. These days a vehicle on petrol and LPG will be more fuel efficient, especially with the new sequential II gas fittings. Diesel on the other hand will give better off road performance in slow tight rocky stuff but if your petrol has a rock crawler gear then that is just as good. Water crossings still favor the diesel but oil changes go towards petrol with 10K changes as compared to 5K for diesels. Servicing is on par these days with timing belt changes and full service including plugs for petrols at 100K intervals. You can also get diesel gas systems which actually give more power for about the same running costs as if using just diesel plus the gas keeps the oil cleaner allowing 7.5K oil changes or even longer. My preference is still for the diesel as an off road camping vehicle.

Most of the more modern stuff goes to 15 k for oil and filter in diesel.

Unlike my old MQ and HJ45 where the oil would be black within 30 milliseconds of start up.

The argument of diesel reliability I reckon doesnt apply so much these days. So much electronics and rubbish under the bonnet of our 2.2 Sorrento, you just close the bonnet and hope it still works, but then youd never go bush proper with a vehicle like that

For fuel consumption, the diesels still goes a long way further on a given amount of fuel, especially in slow, moderate load work like desert sand.

Ta

rolf

Unlike my old MQ and HJ45 where the oil would be black within 30 milliseconds of start up.

rolf

haha...did my time on those suckers! when pulling down the fuel pumps, they were practically filled with a black oily jelly-like substance especially the HJ75:eek:
hands were black for days after working on them. Subsequently, they were always passed on to the apprentice (me at the time!)

Most diesel injection pumps these days (automotive) are rotary pumps so are fuel lubricated, therefore a whole heap cleaner to work with...

Boods

I've never done a trip like that, but know a few who have.

Go with technology for emergencies - invest in a satellite phone (don't trust the mobile networks) and an EPIRB and you won't end up a statistic.

Good luck!
Marg

There are a number of companies that rent satelitte phones i.e. www.rentasatphone.com.au or you can purchase outright and get onto a plan for longer trips. A lot of the schools have to take them out for out of range excursions and they are a must have with the mining, environmental and exploration companies and emergency personnel

We used to use the radphone system as our back up on our trips out on the edge of the desert, but then..

On 28th February 2002 at 2359UTC The Australian HF Maritime Mobile Radio Telephone Service sent its final message:

ALL STATIONS ALL STATIONS ALL STATIONS THIS IS TELSTRA RADPHONES TELSTRA RADPHONES TELSTRA RADPHONES

BROADCASTING FROM
BRISBANERADIO/VIB
DARWINRADIO/VID
MELBOURNERADIO/VIM
AND PERTHRADIO/VIP =

THIS IS THE FINAL TRANSMISSION FROM THE AUSTRALIAN HF MARITIME MOBILE RADIO TELEPHONE SERVICE. WE CONCLUDE OUR FINAL WATCHKEEPING AFTER 55 YEARS OF CONTINUOUS SERVICE WITH PRIDE AND SADNESS. TELSTRA AND THE AUSTRALIAN MARITIME COMMUNICATIONS STATIONS WISHES ALL SEAFARERS FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS. WE SALUTE ALL WHO HAVE SERVED OUR PROFESSION WITH SKILL AND DEDICATION THROUGH THE YEARS

= THIS IS TELSTRA RADPHONES OUT +

The transmitters were then cermoniously powered down for the last time.

Like some of the other members have crossed back wards and forwards across the country, mainly in troop carriers but have also driven a lada from east to west coast across the centre on off road tracks and taken quite a few Delicas along the Tanami and Warburton Hwy etc.

You are a brave, brave, person to admitt having a laugha-minute (lada-niva) :D

Though I guess you can kit them out?

Last edited:
You are a brave, brave, person to admitt having a laugha-minute (lada-niva) :D

I had one of these technology marvels when they were first released..................the only 4wd vehicle at that time available in Aust at that time that had perm 4wd, coils all round, central diff lock etc . The Rangie was about the next best, with all others still being leaf sprung monsters till the GQ and the 80 series came out.

That vehicle with its cn36 pirellis would hold off anything bar a subie on wet tar.

Was a great design idea, but let down by poor materials quality more than anything else. Poor dealer support didnt help either ( pretty much the same as the much malinged Leyland P76 : ) Much of the engineering was Fiat based. Lots of little nigglies which we eventually sorted, but certainly NOT a 4wd I would ever take into remote areas on a solo vehicle basis. And surely NOT a vehicle for the faint hearted or the spanner challenged.

ta
rolf

The Mahindra Jeep was fun to drive on its tour around Australia, not pretty to look at (think of the old Wiley's Jeep) but a fun 4wd. I took it for a spin behind the old meatworks when it was up in Broome. From memory it had a spring steel chassis and a Peugeot diesel engine.

Depends on what you are planning to do. From someone who lives in the middle of nowhere i will have to say I would not attempt to do any sort of serious remote off road travel without a Landcruiser/Patrol or with other people. I have a Hyundai Terracan which is great offroad but I would definately not do any serious remote travel in it without a convoy and at least 200l of spare fuel (by "serious" I'm talking the Canning Stock route or Tanami track etc).

I like landcruisers (including Prado) because they have very big long range fuel tanks to cope with the distance between fuel stops and even in the more major towns like marble bar/halls creek etc they run out of fuel (and food) very regularly or the service station will be closed when you need it most. Secondly they are the main vehicle used on stations and on mine sites so local mechanics always have parts available for them and they are usually already set up for off road travel with snorkles, high clearance, steel bash plates (not the plastic ones sissy 4WDs have). Plus they keep their value as you have found.

Don't forget too that you'll need to spend money on necessary extras like a winch, full bull bar, spots, UHF/VHF radio, satellite phone/EPIRB (if you're going real remote like to Rudall River or such). You'll also need to have enough space to carry 10l of water per person per day, spare fuel (diesel- don't even bother with petrol/or gas as many remote service stations don't even sell petrol) and enough food to last until someone can come and rescue you if you do break down.

Of course if you are happy staying on the bitumen and major gravel then any half decent 4WD with low range will do. I love my Hyundai and it's only downfall is the driver's (me) experience (and a small fuel tank). I really would stick to the more common models though simply for availability of parts if you should need them (it can take over two weeks for anything to arrive in Newman for example - the more urgently you need it, the longer it takes to get here - and they always add the BHP tax so you pay at least double :(

And make sure you have free windscreen replacement on your insurance - you'll need it :(

Rolf & Redwing.

As much as some like to ridicule the Lada it is definitely the most capable off road vehicle. When I first bought mine it was just for the odd day trip to do some bashing around and the troopy was for anything serious BUT over time it got used more and more and no matter what was thrown at it never let me down.

Must have been one of the lucky ones as never had any mechanical problems although it sometimes would run a little hot. Surprised many a fellow off roader when they turned up at some remote spot and there was this little Russian 4WD.

I have a Hyundai Terracan which is great offroad

we recently sold our terror an diesel after 140 ks of great service.

well priced, well equipped and suprising in the end the depreciation was about the same as a cruiser, but at half the entry level.

U have probably noticed by now I have a bit of a soft spot for orphan vehicles :)

have owned and bushed everything from Suzies to International D Series, and much in between.

The Terror can in manual form is as reliable as any of the new crop of stuff, but in auto "highlander" spec, the front drive can sometimes leave u in need of a tow when you least want it.

Diff vehicles for diff things, the attached MQ went anywhere a driver had the guts to take it, except super soft beach sand where the little SWB hilux tray on splitties would just go and go.

Bush proper you are right, a Tojo or Nissan is the logical option even though vehicles like the Terror Can can run the frenchline across the simpson with ease if it breaks, u are stuffed.

Push comes to shove, if I was doing solo vehicle work in the desert again (like before the days of sat phones), id prefer a fully rebuilt old style diesel MQ/ GQ or early 80series cruiser. There arent any electronic bits to go wrong that you cant fix

ta
rolf

Attachments

• gunshot.pdf
    54.1 KB · Views: 69
Back