The Biggest Tax EVER in Australia

hi Tom,

I watch Q&A and I was so suprised, my 13 year old son even pointed it out first, that there seemed to be so much negativity towards Labor/Gillard. The tide has definately turned.

I actually don't think she is useless either, I think the problem has been the complete disillusion with ALL politicians which led to a hung Parliament and The Chosen Few were left with all the power to manipulate and lead

I'm not surprised, I personally took great pleasure in seeing Bill Shorten being taken on by Mr & Mrs Average. He was sooooo frustrated that the audience wasn't buying his spin. :D

I never cease to be amazed how the Labor pollies sprout on about crap and think we actually believe their spin, it's laughable.

that's funny as most of the whinging here is from the ABBOTT (the biggest whinger in Australia at the moment) fanboys about the carbon tax :D

Are you sure about that? It's a matter of perception. I would have thought the same 5 years ago, now I say .. Go Tony!

What a ridiculous comment!

What do we manufacture here? We import massive amounts of consumer goods. We have 75% of the workforce employed in services and rising. What do you think pays for the lifestyle we all lead?

Every economy in every country has to first produce something of wealth. In Australia it is mainly coal, gas, iron ore, gold, other industrial metals and agricultural products. However in Japan it might be electrical products and cars. In Saudi Arabia it's oil. The US it's big machinery, aircraft, and agricultural products. The total amount of wealth produced in a country divided by the number of people in that country gives you an economy. You then trade what you have excess of, for what you need to import. And despite our massive commodity exports, we generally still run a trade deficit.

And you think we need to stop sending our resources to China? :p

Your thinking is exactly the thinking of our labor and green politicians. None of you get it. Do you honestly think we could stop exporting commodities to China or anywhere else and everything would continue on as before?

See ya's.

That's your opinion but lacks understanding from you ;) Open your eyes and get your head out of your *** pal.

I don't have any problem in Australia exporting it's excess resources (besides Uranium) but I do have a problem with Australia sucking up to China. There are plenty of other markets around the world, China does not need to have first pick to our resources all the time. The other thing is they have swindled their way into owning many of Australia's resources now too, they have scooped up whatever they can get their dirty greedy hands on and it's only the tip of the iceberg, in future years we will all be owned and dictated to by the Chinese. They have strategically placed people in local councils in political and local council roles too.

That's your opinion but lacks understanding from you ;) Open your eyes and get your head out of your *** pal.

I don't have any problem in Australia exporting it's excess resources (besides Uranium) but I do have a problem with Australia sucking up to China. There are plenty of other markets around the world, China does not need to have first pick to our resources all the time. The other thing is they have swindled their way into owning many of Australia's resources now too, they have scooped up whatever they can get their dirty greedy hands on and it's only the tip of the iceberg, in future years we will all be owned and dictated to by the Chinese. They have strategically placed people in local councils in political and local council roles too.

The Chinese are trying to make money. So are the Australian miners. Why is that such a big problem? Do you think they are going to start using our uranium and bomb us with nuclear warheads? Give me a break...

The Chinese are trying to make money. So are the Australian miners. Why is that such a big problem? Do you think they are going to start using our uranium and bomb us with nuclear warheads? Give me a break...

Who knows, if they did none of us would be here to worry anyway. But what I do know is that some in China have an appalling human rights record and have a history of supplying weapons and chemicals to terrorist organizations and that is the thing that everyone should be concerned about!

I don't like the idea of sucking up to anyone, but your post does sound a bit paranoid about China / Chinese ... just saying

I don't have any problem in Australia exporting it's excess resources (besides Uranium) but I do have a problem with Australia sucking up to China. There are plenty of other markets around the world, China does not need to have first pick to our resources all the time. .

It's a market. It's not like China picks what they want first, then India, then the Poms.

What your saying sounds a bit racist. Everyone else can have our commodities at this price, but if your Chinese??? well, we have another deal over here? In 5 seconds flat they'd tell us to stick out commodity where the sun don't shine and go and buy off someone else.

We sell to the highest bidder.

See ya's.

Actually I like Chinese people in general and have some very nice Chinese friends. I'm just against the political system in China. My current girlfriend is Asian as well.

The problem is that Australia sucks up to China and a lot of other countries too. It would be great to see a leader that told these countries to shove their bullying tactics and the leaders should stop being so PC and speak their minds.

Australia is strong enough and powerful enough economically to be a world leader but instead we continue to grovel up to countries like China.

If Liberals had a leader like Turnbull I would probably support them as he is not afraid to speak his mind and stand up for what he thinks is right. The only other liberal that was any good was Costello, the current bunch are a pack of shallow whinging brats.

I meant you using this thread on Australian carbon tax to make digs at the chinese govt for your own reasons

but sorry, please, do whatever you like

I was talking about exporting our resources and since China is one of our main resource importers the subject of China was part of it. It only went off topic when certain members suggested I was a racist which I'm most certainly not and I have a right to defend myself against this.

Now maybe you have done well at taking it futher off topic we should get back on topic I hope. Also do you have anything to say on these topics Jaycee besides sitting on the fence all of your life?

I was talking about exporting our resources and since China is one of our main resource importers the subject of China was part of it. It only went off topic when certain members suggested I was a racist which I'm most certainly not and I have a right to defend myself against this.

Now maybe you have done well at taking it futher off topic we should get back on topic I hope. Also do you have anything to say on these topics Jaycee besides sitting on the fence all of your life?

like topcropper I think your post could sound a little racist.

Didn't say you are a racist, topcropper didn't either, I said what you said could sound racist.. it happens to the best of us, no one' perfect.

relax and don't worry you're not missing on any pearl of wisdom or hidden gem by me not lying about my passion for or against the carbon tax whilst pretending I know what I'm talking about much more than I do

Australia is strong enough and powerful enough economically to be a world leader but instead we continue to grovel up to countries like China.

How do we grovel up to China? Do we plead with them to buy our commodities? Do we ask them to kindly sell us their flat screen TV's, their cheap clothing and electrical and computer equipment? What are you talking about?

We don't grovel, we buy off them as they are the cheapest manufacturer. The market decides, not grovelling.

They buy our commodities off us, or someone else, if they are cheaper, and we buy manufactured goods off them. There is no grovelling going on. The Australian and Chinese economies are strongly complementary. We have what they want, and they have what we want, all at the right price.

Actually I like Chinese people in general

Hey. So do I. They are super smart and hard working and buy commodities off Australia including a lot of the grain I grow, and are the main reason why we are all so wealthy here these days.

they have swindled their way into owning many of Australia's resources now too, they have scooped up whatever they can get their dirty greedy hands on and it's only the tip of the iceberg, in future years we will all be owned and dictated to by the Chinese. They have strategically placed people in local councils in political and local council roles too.

I think your getting a bit over the top now. Australian companies also own assets overseas. Ask a kiwi what they think about Australia owning most of their banks? And if they own so much thoughout the world it's only because they have so much cash to burn and look forward into the future. Hard working and clever I'd say.

See ya's.

Great. Just what we need. Another tinfoil hat wearing, conspiracy theorist!

Commodities on the whole are a purely substitutional product, Australia doesnt have anything 'special' we just have alot of it.

But other countries are flying benieth our radar.
Ive got contacts in Indonesia who are now into the coal export business (and they have no resource background, they are rich and there is a quid to be made). That coal will sell for the same price as australian coal, after adjusting for freight differencies, quality etc etc.

This whole commodity thing is just a timing issue. Demand has risen far more than expected, and supply is taking time to catch up.

The long term marginal price of commodities historically has only been just above the marginal cost of supply. This is the historical game over time, and one day it will come into effect again.

Therefore our ability to lift the two fingers in a traditional aussie salute will have a very limited time horizon.

Oh, I so agree, makes me sick the amount of absolute rubbish people buy and then toss in landfill next week. Don't see it ending anytime soon tho, people are addicted to spend spend spend and some will buy absolutely anything rather than nothing.

Same with junk food outlets, Macca's, KRc, Hungry Jacks, Pizza etc it's time to hit them up with a massive excess rubbish tax to curb all the waste their customers toss in the bin after each binge. You consume - you pay, I say.
I totally agree and what is disturbing is to see so many people throw out nearly new things like TV's,stereos or whatever just because it had a little scratch on it or one of the knobs is a little worn :rolleyes:

People are used to the consume, throw out, move on to the next thing lifestyle ... It was great to visit an old timers backyard workshop recently where had quality old items from years past that were not made of plastic and that would last for many years. Now he restores them back to nearly new condition. You could not do that with most of the items you buy these days, they are made to last a year at most and then be turned into landfill for the next generation to worry about.

Topcropper and Jaycee,

You are wasting your "typing fingers" as you have probably worked out by now. I prefer to just not go there.

Your thinking is exactly the thinking of our labor and green politicians. None of you get it. Do you honestly think we could stop exporting commodities to China or anywhere else and everything would continue on as before?

So true, it's shameful. I do like to think about 20% of the voting Australian population has "got it" by now. JUst look at the polls.
Times under John Howard just weren't so bad afterall. :rolleyes:

Regards JO

Australia wont be allowed to propser without sharing the wealth that the IMF, Trilateral Commission and the UNSCCC overlooked initially.

We didn't need the loans that Brazil needed and put up the Amazon as collateral. We didn't need the loans that Venezuela needed and offered a cut of gas and oil revenue in return.

That's why this is being forced upon us.

Mark my words, the very second Australia passes the Carbon Tax, suddenly the economic conditions here will "turn" and we'll see all these forecasts coming true of 20% house price rises.

Why? because those at the top will be getting a cut.

Until then, expect a negative market, or even a prime buying opportunity close to the release of the tax blamed on consumer sentiment aroudn the tax, which means those big super funds can pick up a bucket load of AUD again after missing the biggest currency bull run in the history of the planet (37c - 110c USD).

/end rant.

Back