The Bottom Line (is there software out there to help assess it ?)

Also Interested

I have also juggled with a number of 'measurement yardsticks' over the years, with little result.

Has anybody produced some form of spreadsheet that allows a potential investor to enter certain criteria regarding their investment profile and property details that calculates the 'fit' of the potential property for an prospective investor?

If not - perhaps this could be a collaborative forum project?

Regards
Anthony

Rolf De Roos software

Recently went to the Rolf De Roos seminar in Perth. What a waste of time (and money) by the way, but I digress...

De Roos spent about 20 mins going over his software package. Looked fairly simple actually, just a prettied up version of some spreadsheets you can get for free.

But.... I think it had feature that allowed analysis based on your investment goals - buy and hold - cashflow etc etc.

TheBacon

Why Dont you download a trial copy of the Somersoft Pia.

Its readily available. For years I have resisted buying it, mainly because I'm just too tight.

I saw it for the first time the other day and it really suprised me. Much more flexible than I had imagined. Some of its features are locked but it will give you a good idea as to whether its want you want before you pay out the cash.

If I had known it was that good I wouldnt have wasted the last year making my own spread sheet. Mind you, I did enjoy the steep learning curve involved with learning to use excel. But thats just me.

Hi all.....first post on new format so I hope it works.

I like to keep things simple , and I think some of you will think this is too simple .....but the numbers I carry in my head when I'm looking at properties are (a) the price in thousands ....so $200,000 becomes "200" and (b) the estimated rent in dollars per week ....say $220 per week is "220". Then , if (a) equals (b) that property will give a gross yield of 5.2% so that becomes your "mental benchmark". Obviously , the name of the game is normally to get (b) as far ahead of (a) as you can .....but we all know that depends on whether you are shopping for "high growth" properties which tend to be low yield ...or "high yield" which tend to be lower growth. (If you think you've found both in an area please post details on the forum and also email me !)

When we were buying in Melbourne a few years ago we were able to buy at (a) equals (b) or better. As prices rose it became impossible . In more recent times purchases in S.E Qld have
achieved (b) greater than (a).

Of course then as far as affordability and IRR goes you need to have an idea of what depreciation you can claim etc , and all the other factors like agents commission etc ...but I've found this benchmark very handy to "carry in my head" over the years and it has enabled us to make some very quick fortuitous acquisitions.

Peter H.

Originally posted by F.P
landlubber

For all those out there with a PDA, I find it useful to take it with me and enter numbers on the fly, especially when speaking to agents. They find it very intimidating when you are tapping away on your palm pilot while they are trying to give you the big sell............

G'Day F.P

I find this part of your post most amusing........
...Intimidating Estate Agents.........I'm sure I missed that chapter in Dale Carnegie's book "How to win friends and Influence people"
.......I am sure that once you intimidate one of these Estate Agents that they will bend over backwards to assist you in your search for well priced investment properties.

But I have found another way that works just as well..........I am actually nice to them..........I know this may surprise you, but it has actually worked for me on past occasions.......and what I find even more fascinating is..........that this method is still working for me.

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones that have been made aware of some really great buys by Estate Agents.......then again, maybe if had intimidated them, they would have worked much harder for me.......?

I realised long ago that having an Estate Agent on side and being on top of his/her list to call when they listed a distressed or urgent sale, translated to money in the bank, and to get on top of that list, I had to stop intimidating them and start treating them with a little courtesy and respect..........amazing, but it worked.

regards

Great IP checker especially coverage to all states
This on came to me via WISE Investments
Hope you like it

Fredo

Unfortunatley to big for forum
may be the moderator of the site would like to view and consider if it should be posted

When you meet your antagonist, do everything in a mild and agreeable manner. Let your courage be as keen, but at the same time as polished, as your sword. - Richard Brinsley Sheridan

Aaahhh Real Estate Agents!

How best to relate to them?

As Jakk points out, Real Estate agents are just human, and they respond well to courtesy and respect. But being human, they also respond well to money, age, sex and social status.

I've had many agents simply brush me aside because I'm young(ish) single, female and blonde. I'm dealing with one agent at the moment via my boyfriend who is acting as intermediary. This agent will call my boyfriend to find out where "we" are up to in buying this house. He doesn't seem to understand that I'm the one with the purse strings, despite this being made ubundantly clear to him by both of us, and despite requests that he call me, not Mr Cornflower. Unbelievable! This ain't the 1950's anymore....

I need to do stuff like the palm pilot idea, simply to get them to take me seriously at times. Of course, once I have purchased a property through them, they do take me seriously, and as I have been courteous and friendly, are always more than happy to deal with me again.

So I turn up in a late model car, with lots of tasteful gold jewellery on, with profesional looking brand-label clothes, with a manicure, with tasteful make-up. And I give them my business card from a reasonably well know company, where my title is "Manager". And I talk about my other properties and wraps and I ask them what they think of the Jenman system, and I let them know, in the nicest possible way, that I'm not a newbie, or a bimbo. This is particularly vital if I have not had dealings with them before.

And I get a MUCH better response than if I was simply nice alone :)

Dealings with Real Estate agents as buyers are inherently adversarial - the RE is representing the seller, he is not your friend and he is not working for you. Not to say that they won't put you onto good deals, but you don't get yourself onto the top of that list by simply being a nice chappie. Simply being a nice girly would get me substantially less than nowhere. You get yourself onto the top of that list because the RE has a belief that you are in a position to buy property NOW. And for a price that the vendor will be happy with, and with the least amount of effort on the agent's part. If he knows that the transaction will be smooth because you are nice, that will help, but that is not the only reason for being first in line. Much more is based on your reputation (of not being simply a tyre-kicker), either real, or *perceived*.

So, I think tactics that make you appear less of a tyre-kicker, will always work to your advantage. I wouldn't call using a PDA this intimidation though. It's more like a "reputation enhancing" tactic!!!

Originally posted by Lotana
Joanna,

You are a legend!
Where did you find it?

Sorry, no cheese today :p ,

Lotana

Hey !! that's the spreadsheet I wrote a couple of years ago. Good to see some people are still using it. I know I always do.

Need the proof that I wrote it? Open the file. Select File, Properties, and the the Summary Tab (just in case someone wants to challenge - not that anyone would doubt me right??)

Pierre

All donations to my daughter's education fund will be gratefully accepted. :D

Seriously, if anyone wants to modify or improve the file in any way - please do so and send me a copy. I've made a number of changes over time, and always like to look at improvements.

Pierre

Originally posted by F.P
Jakk
Thanks for your comments. To this day I have not met a RE Agent that I liked....
Surely there must be one out there!

They have their own motivation to suceed....
.....and you don't ??????

If that means being nice to you then so be it,
...I am touched.....

however I would say that almost all people on this forum have been mistreated by RE Agents more than they have been taken care of. That is the point I was trying to get across. I'll give you an example of an experience of mine. One of many that followed the same pattern.

I once went to an open inspection in a nice part of Adelaide (Unley). I had long hair and a beard, however I was not scruffy. It was tied in a pony tail and my beard was trimmed and I was in neat casual dress.

Upon entering the property the Agent turned his back and didn't even offer me a brochure.....
referring to your opening line above.....maybe till that day, he had never met a long haired, bearded, ponytailed man in neat casual dress that he liked.
.... It gave me even greater delight to tell him to get off my property......
...for christmas, I am definately getting you a copy of "How to Win Friends & Influence People

At this stage your probably saying that I'm an asshole or the like,.........
I swear, .....I didn't say it.....

The moral of the story is that they only take care of you because they have to take care of themselves.,.........
Well I can obviously see from your post, it's not a deep and meaningful friendship that they are after with you..
If I have offended any RE Agents, I could say I'm sorry but I won't. ,.........
......Now why doesn't that surprise me?

If there are any RE Agents out there doing the right thing you will be duly rewarded for your efforts (just as any person would in any profession), however the ones that are not...and you know who you are, I don't believe will stay long in the industry.
As you said, applies to all professions and industries.

regards

Thanks Pierre

I like it. Added some additions. Nothing fancy like you have done.

Do we give a Half credit Catherine Saul???

Regards

Brinkdude

ip calculator

Hi all,
Tried to download ip calculator, but came up with the message: 'is not a valid win32 application'. What does this mean and can I do anything about it?
Many thanks,
Hils.:confused:

Well,

this thread has got a little off topic, however...

Just to stick up for us agents...

Cornflower, I never judge a client by their age, sex or looks, it is not nice, and also, not good business practice. I know other agents may, but I don't.

FP, I am a little insulted that you tar all agents with the same brush.

I have never judged anyone by their looks, or age.

I do agree with cornflower:
Dealings with Real Estate agents as buyers are inherently adversarial - the RE is representing the seller, he is not your friend and he is not working for you. Not to say that they won't put you onto good deals, but you don't get yourself onto the top of that list by simply being a nice chappie. Simply being a nice girly would get me substantially less than nowhere. You get yourself onto the top of that list because the RE has a belief that you are in a position to buy property NOW. And for a price that the vendor will be happy with, and with the least amount of effort on the agent's part. If he knows that the transaction will be smooth because you are nice, that will help, but that is not the only reason for being first in line. Much more is based on your reputation (of not being simply a tyre-kicker), either real, or *perceived*.
So, I think tactics that make you appear less of a tyre-kicker, will always work to your advantage

Very well said, Cornflower.
The only people I have ever not taken seriously are those who have proven themselves not to be serious.
And as the Vendors agent, I AM working for the vendor.
If you were the vendor, would you want me to work my hardest for you, or not?

and, FP, if you stood in front of me tapping on your PDF... I would stop talking and politely wait until you had finished tapping before I resumed discussion. This is not intimidating, it is plain rude.

asy :D

I'm sorry I just can't resist saying something. I'm not blonde and I'm not even that young anymore however I have had my fair share of being ignored, mistreated, and brushed aside by agents.

My last agent I have to say was wonderful. She was really helpful.

When I bought a place in the Eastern Suburbs, however, the agent didn't even see me. I had to CHASE him. This is during an open inspection. I had to convince him I was serious. I just dropped a couple of hints like 'I've bought a couple of properties before now will you show me' And then when I said I was interested he was hesitant in showing me the contract. It ended up being a great buy however.

These days I will innocently say things like 'What is the rental return on this property?' and 'My other properties suffered a bit from the rental market down turn'. Just dropping the hint that I'm serious. It's getting easier the older I get I have to say but come on its not all roses and tulips out there!

Cheers!

Landholdings.:p

Back