The Boy from Nowhere

Recommend this book.

"The Boy From Nowhere" - Kerry Stokes.

Fascinating insight, he was adopted/raised pretty much in poverty, left school at 14 as they could not afford further education.

One of the stories goes like this .......
In the 60s Stokes was installing TV ariels in Perth his offsider stuck it out long enough to subsidise his studies and became a teacher, 50 years later by chance met up at a function in Perth.

What Stokes found out was the retired teacher vaguely resented that they installed aerials together as youngsters yet ended up leading such different lives. His attitude implied that if they were equals in a menial job at 19, they should have been equals in life.

The difference between them was that the teacher had been content at 20 with his education and the career it opened for him. Meanwhile Stokes had no education to speak of, or any of the accomplishments the other took for granted - and so he was not defined by them.

MTR:)

Recommend this book.

"The Boy From Nowhere" - Kerry Stokes.

Fascinating insight, he was adopted/raised pretty much in poverty, left school at 14 as they could not afford further education.

One of the stories goes like this .......
In the 60s Stokes was installing TV ariels in Perth his offsider stuck it out long enough to subsidise his studies and became a teacher, 50 years later by chance met up at a function in Perth.

What Stokes found out was the retired teacher vaguely resented that they installed aerials together as youngsters yet ended up leading such different lives. His attitude implied that if they were equals in a menial job at 19, they should have been equals in life.

The difference between them was that the teacher had been content at 20 with his education and the career it opened for him. Meanwhile Stokes had no education to speak of, or any of the accomplishments the other took for granted - and so he was not defined by them.

So the teacher resented why he as a tertiary educated professional had to be at the same function as an uneducated multi-billionaire?

Yes. I think its something to do with the green eyed monster coming out.

So why did one end up a teacher while the other a billionaire???

I guess one wanted to service humanity and the other wanted to milk humanity for all its worth. Or it could be one's greed was far greater than the other. Both leave a legacy to future generations. The legacies are different. One legacy is that of passing on knowledge to become more teachers whilst the latter allows his descendants to date models and tv stars whilst riding around in rolls royces.

china, well said!!!
MTR - hilarious. :p Having money and being a teacher aren't mutually exclusive. Just like being beautiful and being smart don't cancel each other out. Imagine if you were all of the above. :)

Last edited:
china, well said!!!
MTR - hilarious. :p Having money and being a teacher aren't mutually exclusive. Just like being beautiful and being smart don't cancel each other out. Imagine if you were all of the above. :)

A few come to mind. People with the lot. Beauty, brains, wealth.

Natalie Portman from Harvard University. Speaker of four languages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalie_Portman

Emma Watson from Brown University
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Watson

Wladimir Klitschko PhD and speaker of four languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wladimir_Klitschko

I guess one wanted to service humanity and the other wanted to milk humanity for all its worth. Or it could be one's greed was far greater than the other. Both leave a legacy to future generations. The legacies are different. One legacy is that of passing on knowledge to become more teachers whilst the latter allows his descendants to date models and tv stars whilst riding around in rolls royces.

Read the book or just google I think you will realise your summation is totally wrong.

Last edited:
china, well said!!!

Of course I think we all get this.

What I posted was an extract from the book and got nothing to do with teacher vs billionaire.

Last edited:
he said that when he went broke in the early days that everyone wrote him off, thought he was a complete loser and didn't want to know him, but memories are short and the scorn soon turns to accolades

Back