The cost of Laziness, and the demise of the practical human - ya gotta laugh.

Being lazy costs us money. We all know it, but turn a blind eye.

We'd rather pay someone to mow the lawn because we "don't have time". But the exercise will possibly keep us out of the cardiac unit and save us another IP deposit....

Well, here's a classic that I didn't know about until just recently.

As you all know; I'm now in the tyre and mechanical industry.

Last week, a guy comes in with a BMW X5. It's a very nice Toorak Tractor. Wants a quote on some tyres;

BMW quoted him - wait for it - $750 per tyre. They are 20" rims of course. :rolleyes:

Why? because they are "run flats". I'd never heard of them until this.

Run flats allow you to drive for 100km's with a flat tyre. The sidewalls are almost as thick as the tread section.

But, here's the catch; the tyre is now useless, and must be replaced when you get back home to safety.

This whole scenario was developed because the average X5 driver is either a soccer mum, or a corporate guy/girl who don't want to get dirty/can't change a tyre. Mind you; I have seen a bogun driving one of these. :eek: So now I don't want one. Sorry; I'm digressing and being judgemental....

They also don't have the time to call the RACV and wait to get the spare put on.

And, they can afford to have a system whereby they don't need to.

Enter; solution to problem meets financial opportunity at the expense of the lazy.

Now, this is not me saying this - this is from the tyre guys who we called to find out some prices. He gleefully told me the history; it's very profitable for all concerned, and he was laughing at how good it is to make money from people's laziness.

So, for the convenience of not having to change a flat tyre, or the time inconvenience of having to do it, or not knowing how to do it, it'll cost you well over $550 (cheapest option) for a puncture. And; they pay it. ROTFLMAO.

He's probably too busy making lots of money elsewhere to waste time on that crap.

Its called 'most efficient use of time'. Why mow your own lawn when you can pay some dumbo $30 and you can make hundreds or thousands of dollars in that same time. There's tons of other examples but i'm sure you get the point.

It's the way the rich think but the working class generally don't understand it. They mostly want to do everything them self (mostly very low value tasks) to save money. Its a false economy and a terribly inefficient use of time..

I'm a bit of a car nut (and owned Beemers previously) and BMW did not introduce run flat tyres for that reason. It's considered a technological breakthrough and has taken them a few years to get the tyres right. They are still improving them.

Plenty of people don't want to change their tyres in any make of vehicle.

He's probably too busy making lots of money elsewhere to waste time on that crap.

Its called 'most efficient use of time'. Why mow your own lawn when you can pay some dumbo $30 and you can make hundreds or thousands of dollars in that same time. And tons of other examples.

It's the way the rich think but the working class generally don't understand it.
I generally get that thinking, I really do - I'm very pro-outsourcing! But ...

1) How often do you get a puncture? I think I've had one in 25 years of driving.

2) Does it save you any time anyway? You still have to get it "attended to", you're just paying $2,950 for the privilege of being able to slightly delay when you do it. ($2,200 extra for a $3K set of 4 tyres instead of $800, plus $750 for the replacement tyre.) Some people would earn an extra $2,950 by being able to make a critical meeting instead of delaying it, but the chances of the moons aligning in this manner are infinitesimal, even for the most expensive suit. If you're that important/wealthy, you just lock the car if it has a puncture, catch a cab, and get your "people" to look after it. ;)

3) How many of the owners have made the conscious decision that this convenience is worth paying for? If they have - bully for them, no problem. But I bet for most of them it's about being able to tell people they have $3K worth of tyres on their car. :rolleyes:

I can see these tyres being useful for somebody who needs to ensure they can drive away from a terrorist attack where they try and stop/slow you by deflating the tyres, but for anybody else, it sounds like a bit of a w**k.

I have run flats and have decided never to go for them again.

6 months ago, the "tyre puncture" warning came up together with "urgently take your car to the nearest bmw dealership" warning.

Took the car there and they checked and said, perhaps you hit a kerb with some force and hence it triggered the warning so they reset it.

I drove it for another month and the warning pops back on - did the same thing and got the same answer from the dealership.

Third time last month it happened again so I took it to the dealership and asked them to replace the warning system (still under 3 year new car warranty).

It was only then that they said, well your rear right hand side tyre is puncture so you can only go to this shop that deal in run flats.

Took the car there and the guy showed me the tyre which originally got punctured 6 months ago and all this time I had been driving a car with punctured tyre.... however bmw failed to diagnose that... There was a massive bump in a couple of places on the tyre and thats because I kept driving a car with punctured tyre - You could look at the tryre from outside and could never tell it had a puncture..

Anyway, cost me $1300 for 2 rear tyres as the guy said it will be unsafe just to replace single tyre even though it has done a total of 32,000 kms !

In short, although it could be a god send if you get a puncture in the middle of the night on a country road and keep driving but really it is more inconvenient than a normal tyre based on what i went through

Harris

Being lazy costs us money. We all know it, but turn a blind eye.

We'd rather pay someone to mow the lawn because we "don't have time". But the exercise will possibly keep us out of the cardiac unit and save us another IP deposit....

Well, here's a classic that I didn't know about until just recently.

As you all know; I'm now in the tyre and mechanical industry.

Last week, a guy comes in with a BMW X5. It's a very nice Toorak Tractor. Wants a quote on some tyres;

BMW quoted him - wait for it - $750 per tyre. They are 20" rims of course. :rolleyes:

Why? because they are "run flats". I'd never heard of them until this.

Run flats allow you to drive for 100km's with a flat tyre. The sidewalls are almost as thick as the tread section.

But, here's the catch; the tyre is now useless, and must be replaced when you get back home to safety.

This whole scenario was developed because the average X5 driver is either a soccer mum, or a corporate guy/girl who don't want to get dirty/can't change a tyre. Mind you; I have seen a bogun driving one of these. :eek: So now I don't want one. Sorry; I'm digressing and being judgemental....

They also don't have the time to call the RACV and wait to get the spare put on.

And, they can afford to have a system whereby they don't need to.

Enter; solution to problem meets financial opportunity at the expense of the lazy.

Now, this is not me saying this - this is from the tyre guys who we called to find out some prices. He gleefully told me the history; it's very profitable for all concerned, and he was laughing at how good it is to make money from people's laziness.

So, for the convenience of not having to change a flat tyre, or the time inconvenience of having to do it, or not knowing how to do it, it'll cost you well over $550 (cheapest option) for a puncture. And; they pay it. ROTFLMAO.

What they also need to know is that running in "emergency" mode and going over bumps can damage the rims (and being a nice allow rim, they'll break, not bend)

Runflats were of course developed for rallying, where
1. flats occur often
2. a fraction of a second can cost you the entire season!

Cheers,

The Y-man

3) How many of the owners have made the conscious decision that this convenience is worth paying for? If they have - bully for them, no problem. But I bet for most of them it's about being able to tell people they have $3K worth of tyres on their car. :rolleyes:
Yes, I did make a very conscious decision to buy the car with that feature not because I wanted to tell anyone that I have runflats (why would anyone tell anyone else they have runflats ?????). The car I bought came standard with the runflats only.

I can see these tyres being useful for somebody who needs to ensure they can drive away from a terrorist attack where they try and stop/slow you by deflating the tyres, but for anybody else, it sounds like a bit of a w**k.
Not a w**k at all..... Majority of such 'w**k" features on both of the cars is to keep the occupants and pedestrians safe with early warning systems, seat belt pre tensioners, advanced crumple zones, side impact and whiplash protection system, parking sensors with cameras and things like traction and stability control.

I also have head-up display system with my car which provides key info on speed, warning signs and navigation system in a 3-D style hologram (based on fighter planes technology to assist pilots) in front of my eyes (just below) so I dont have to continously look at my car navigation or my speedometer to check the directions or to check the speed of my car or any warning signs.

This feature is for my safety as well as safety for the others on the road, so in a way I am paying extra for safety of others !

See the accident crash data and determine how safe occupants are when driving a car with maximum safety gear ! Key to note is not how safe you drive but what happens to the occupants when a drunk, speeding or lunatic driver decides to crash into you ..

Harris

Hey its not only the run flats that cost a fortune my wife got a flat and simply didn't want to stop to change the Tyre "because the kids would get cranky". We had to get the same brand due to it being a company subsidised lease car and it ended up costing us $550 :eek:. I was not a happy camper, but at least the kids Maccas didn't go cold.

they also introduced run flat tyres because a lot of the new cars don't have a spare wheel ... hence the need to be able to drive on the flat tyre ..

Not a w**k at all..... Majority of such 'w**k" features on both of the cars is to keep the occupants and pedestrians safe with early warning systems, seat belt pre tensioners, advanced crumple zones, side impact and whiplash protection system, parking sensors with cameras and things like traction and stability control.

I also have head-up display system with my car which provides key info on speed, warning signs and navigation system in a 3-D style hologram (based on fighter planes technology to assist pilots) in front of my eyes (just below) so I dont have to continously look at my car navigation or my speedometer to check the directions or to check the speed of my car or any warning signs.

This feature is for my safety as well as safety for the others on the road, so in a way I am paying extra for safety of others !

Errr yeah sorry but it is a load of w##k why not buy an Aussie built car that has a 5 star safety rating and gives Aussies jobs.

I understand what you are saying. But with the case of the tyres its an unforseen event and so its easy to make a silly example of.

But what i was referring to is the general mindset as criticised in Baviews 's post that people are lazy and useless because they don't want to do this type of low value stuff. I'm sure some are but not all and he doesn't know that guy's circumstances at all.

I'm not sure if you can option non runflats on BMW's these days.

I generally get that thinking, I really do - I'm very pro-outsourcing! But ...

1) How often do you get a puncture? I think I've had one in 25 years of driving.

2) Does it save you any time anyway? You still have to get it "attended to", you're just paying $2,950 for the privilege of being able to slightly delay when you do it. ($2,200 extra for a $3K set of 4 tyres instead of $800, plus $750 for the replacement tyre.) Some people would earn an extra $2,950 by being able to make a critical meeting instead of delaying it, but the chances of the moons aligning in this manner are infinitesimal, even for the most expensive suit. If you're that important/wealthy, you just lock the car if it has a puncture, catch a cab, and get your "people" to look after it. ;)

Errr yeah sorry but it is a load of w##k why not buy an Aussie built car that has a 5 star safety rating and gives Aussies jobs.

Aussies are getting a job Pablo - relax :)

BMW & Lexus dealerships are owned by Aussies, cars are serviced by Aussies (last time I checked), the LCT I pay goes straight back into Aussie system (so technically I put more in taxes into the system than the ones that buy Aussie made cars) and the tyre shop I went to had Aussies working in them that sold me run flats...

Harris

Ninety percent of 4WD owners are fools by definition so I'm zero surprised that they'd consider $3000 dollars on tires that let you keep driving with a flat. Some I've seen wouldn't even notice the flat!

Ninety percent of 4WD owners are fools by definition so I'm zero surprised that they'd consider $3000 dollars on tires that let you keep driving with a flat. Some I've seen wouldn't even notice the flat!

whoa..!

hats off to you Julie

great statement and representative of the 'very average' mindset :)

No wonder with these sort of beliefs some of us never get anywhere.

Stop being judgemental based on your limited understanding of others and why certain people make certain buying decisions.

Its almost like a debate we had at SS between doom and gloomers brigade and SS loyalists !

Its like those with flashy cars looking at the ones driving old cars and making statements like - "If you get hit you will be dead meat - Scrooge !" or "you must love your money more than your family by being able to afford a much safer car but driving this unsafe s**t box" etc etc

I will bow out of this debate now.. Its simply going to get ridiculous with each post :D

lmao
Run flats come from the armoured vehicles for military & security use.
Anybody who travels time critical long trips in this big country should have them imo. As should taxis and all hire cars.
And ftr I get them much cheaper than your "over $550".

Last edited:
Not sure what you're saying Harris, but I thought that statement would stir it up a bit.

I find most 4wdrivers I've met are driving something out of their skill range, ignorant of the environmental impact of their chosen form of transport, discourteous road users who have no understanding of the real reasons for driving what is essentially a truck around the suburbs. Pretty much the perfect symbol of the foolish, selfish, status conscious consumer.

The reason I'm down on the 4wd brigade because I consider their common use around the suburbs as a very anti-social act. Tradesmen and people with real reasons for owning a vehicle with the capabilites of 4wd I understand, but I do judge those who selfishly affect me and others with ill thought selfish actions as fools in preference to something meaner and harsher.

http://www.science.org.au/nova/080/080key.htm

I'm with evand here; this sums it up best:

Its called 'most efficient use of time'.

If someone's making $20/hr then it wouldn't make sense to spend that much on a tyre. But plenty of people are making way more than that, and for those that feel $750 is like 5c to you and me, it would be silly not to spend the extra*

*Not taking into account the problems Harris outlined with this particular 'indulgence'.

"I understand what you are saying. But with the case of the tyres its an unforseen event and so its easy to make a silly example of.

But what i was referring to is the general mindset as criticised in Baviews 's post that people are lazy and useless because they don't want to do this type of low value stuff. I'm sure some are but not all and he doesn't know that guy's circumstances at all.

I'm not sure if you can option non runflats on BMW's these days."

EVAND

A very sensible POV Evand.

Personally I would buy a merc over the BMW, just because of the unwanted runflats. That is how strongly I feel about this wasteful exercise.:mad::mad: Boycott silly wastefulness I say.

Personally I would buy a merc over the BMW, just because of the unwanted runflats. That is how strongly I feel about this wasteful exercise.:mad::mad: Boycott silly wastefulness I say.

This is exactly the reason we went with another make over a BMW. I'm sure the run flats are great but I cant wrap my head around them. It's been a few years since you've been able to buy most if not all BMW's with "normal" tyres

Back