The easy way to invest

OPM;

I guess property trusts are great if you aren't able to afford a deposit/repayments on a property -or arent interested in investing time/effort to research/management of IP's.

That said, I like the way this particular trust is thinking:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We believe classic, older-style housing is more attractive to tenants -- and more likely to generate maximum capital gains -- so we buy these properties and repair them," he says.

Jock Bing says that buying a huge, one-bedroom cottage at Newtown represents better value in terms of capital gain than an off-the-plan apartment at Green Square.

"The house includes land, and it would cost a hell of a lot more to build the house."

"We will buy flats from the art deco period, because the quality of their construction is good and they tend to be large.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, I prefer a more hands-on approach to investing, where you have the ability to drive past your investment once ina while-rather than checking on-line once per week what your porfolio is worth

Cheers

Sam

I don't like the fact that I don't have control on the property. Also, I would have to pay fees to some one else. I don't see either how to use capital growth to fund other properties outside the scheme.
I think I only would do this if I have no choice at all.
Cheers. James

Something else which isn't clear is whether they borrow to buy, or only use invested money.

For the individual investor like ourselves, it's the borrowing which magnifies the returns of growth (as well as the risk).

OPM,

I looked at this artical to. I liked what I read until the part where
they purchasd a property in Newtown for a return of only 4.6%.
The buying location is near perfect, but the yield should be around 5.5%.
I have invested in one listed property trust. Commonwealth Bank Office Property Trust.Yield of around 7%.
Two unlisted property trusts.Both with Austgrowth.They keep for six years then sell. Splitting the profits with me(and all the other investors). The yield on Burwood is 10% and 9% for Lane Cove.
With each property trust I have invested $50,000, borrowed money.

bbruham.

My big problem with unlisted proprety trusts is that I have no control.

My big problem with listed property trusts is that they are percieved too much as shares and thus get affected by both swings in the property market and the share market. Double downside, little upside.

Buy direct.

Jas

hello Jas,

You don't have any control over any kind of investment. Shares ,
listed or unlisted. Property, you can't increase the properties price other than by renovating. Then you might not increase the value. Your money could be wasted. With property you can only decide to sell. You don't decide the price, you can put a price on the place but the buyer decides if he'll pay it. You can of course refuse the offer.
Our whole lifes control is out of our hands.
Just go with the flow.
Now I feel like racing out to the Gap and jumping.

bbruham.
(haemorrhoids)
If you know what I mean??

Better chances with property thou. You buy shares, what can you do? buy lots of their product? send the directors flowers? hope? Pray?

Jas

OPM,
You solicited opinions.
The operator of this trust is a gent called Jock Bing. He has assisted a mate of mine with several property investments over several years that have proven successful. The criteria that will be used for property selection seems a proven one.

But, in my opinion you would only consider an investment in this vehicle if you wanted a total "hands off" approach. For me, I much prefer to be totally involved . I find when you hand over the control you also hand over a big chunk of the profits. Jock , or any other operator of managed funds is not doing it for nothing !!

LL

Back