The flood - lessons learned

As some of you will be aware, our home was flooded during the heavy rains in Brisbane in late May. Our ground flood is split level; the rear (larger) portion was flooded to a depth of around 70cm, and the front portion to about 10cm. The upstairs is much smaller than downstairs, so the vast majority of our floor area went under. I've uploaded a few photos, if anybody's interested.

I thought it might be useful to some of you, both as home and IP owners, to share some of the things we have learned and experienced thus far in the flood aftermath:

1) Flood vs stormwater damage

Suncorp is one of the very few companies who cover flood (water rising up from a waterway) as well as stormwater damage (water rushing through your house after rain because it can't drain away quickly enough). It's pretty rare to get knocked back by water being deemed a flood rather than stormwater, and our neighbours insured with other companies weren't knocked back, but they had a few anxious nights wondering. We knew - as soon as I checked our policy, anyway - that we were covered.

2) Suncorp's reputation as a generous payer

Dealing with various assessors, builders, and neighbours with other companies, Suncorp seem to have an enviable reputation with regards to honouring claims and being generous when paying out, and that's been our experience. Of course, like all insurers, they have requirements for substantiation, but they don't seem to look for reasons to deny and/or reduce your claim. In fact, they reminded us of several things that we didn't realise we could claim! Similarly, I said to the builder "what about if Suncorp say we had this quality of finish on an item, and I think we had a higher quality and want it replaced like for like?" He only does insurance work, and said that every Suncorp home he'd ever rebuilt ended up better than it started out, with no such problems. I tend to think this is correct, because they asked me if I had any kitchen manufacturer I preferred. I told him that there was a particular kitchen designer and company I'd seen that had won lots of awards in a magazine, but I was honest and said that I suspected that they were very expensive. Within an hour, he'd booked me an appointment with their kitchen designer (for tomorrow)! :eek: Yippee! I'd also found a company who supply magnificent hardwood entry doors, and was prepared to pay extra to upgrade from "bog standard Doors Plus" entry door, to this company's. He said I could have the hardwood one within my allowance. I think I'm going to enjoy this rebuild... :D

3) Contents status post-flood - possibility of sewage contamination?

When you're flooded, if there's a chance of contamination by sewage (eg if there are septic tanks in the area, or - as in our case - the flooding causes the water to run backwards out of the sewage pipes - ewww), they write off everything that got wet, for hygiene reasons, even if it's retrievable. And in our case, Suncorp didn't want the items back, or proof that they'd been disposed of - their attitude was that if we were able to salvage anything, that was our good luck. All our electrics - nearly $10K just of fridges and freezers, plus washing machine, dishwasher, stove, pool pump, etc - were all written off (ie we'll be paid out), and I think everything still works. Suncorp are not unhappy about us keeping using those items - their argument is that mud has gotten into the mechanisms, and they could die at any time, so they've given us money to replace them as they'll probably die prematurely due to the ingress of muddy water. If they keep going for a long time - good luck for us. :) All our hardwood furniture (probably from virgin Indonesian rainforest, I don't want to know *sticking fingers in ears and closing eyes*) seems fine to me after a clean, but it's also been written off. (And when I say sewage contamination, let me be clear that we're not talking floaties here - the quantity of water was so huge that the sewage contamination was very, very diluted. ;))

4) Work required on your home post-flood

Once your walls have gotten wet, the job of fixing your home becomes huge. If you're not insured, you may not bother, but if you have an insurer, they will rip off all the plasterboard (in our case up to 1200mm), remove all insulation etc, spray with anti-microbial sprays in the cavity and on the structural timber etc, then restore and repaint. Suncorp are even repainting all the ceilings - which obviously didn't get wet - because "it would look silly to have brand new fresh paint on the walls and not have repainted ceilings", which I thought was surprisingly generous. All the doors and timber door frames also come off and are replaced. Western red cedar garage doors - they're being replaced, too. All the electrical wiring that went underwater - also being replaced. (That's most of the downstairs power points.) All the 4-year-old kitchen cabinets - being MDF core - also written off and being replaced.

5) Ensuring you have adequate coverage

I know that nearly all of you will know it: but make sure you're generous in insuring your home and contents. I thought, that at $580K for our home (6 bedroom) and $130K for contents, we were pretty generously insured, but I now think that our insurance was just adequate. It is enough, but it's not too much! When we added up all the contents that we claimed, it came to around $90K. Thankfully, relative to our sum insured and the floor area that went under, that doesn't seem outrageous and Suncorp haven't balked (yet! ;)). But I'm glad we weren't insured for any less. I actually skimped on the claim a bit - didn't claim nearly as many CDs and kids' games as we really lost - because I didn't want to raise any eyebrows. If we'd been insured for more like $140K, our claim could have been about $5-10K more, I reckon. (Not that I'm complaining!)

I also discovered that the amount available to us for alternative accommodation - as our house was rendered uninhabitable for probably 5 months - is based on the amount that the house is insured for. If we'd had the house insured for any less than $580K, we would have been quite short on the cost of alternative furnished accommodation for the 8 people and a dog that make up our household. We got an allowance of $1176 per week for furnished accommodation, but it's actually costing us $1250, so we are a little short - again, not that I'm complaining.

6) 50% Contents Rule

Many contents insurance policies have a rule that your contents claim for any event short of a total loss, or for a flood, can't exceed 50% of your contents value. I was told by the assessor that this rule would apply to us, but by Suncorp that it doesn't. In any case, something to be aware of. I know that at least one of our neighbours got their claim reduced due to this rule. He - a single guy - had contents insured for $52K, and probably lost 90% of his stuff (his home is single storey), but only got $26K due to the 50% rule.

7) Processing of contents claim

Our contents claim is coming through in "dribs and drabs". We got $5K as an emergency payment within days of the flood, and have since received another $40K for items on the claim that Suncorp considered straightforward. I believe that, for the rest, Suncorp are checking prices on the larger items, eg fridges, dishwasher, etc, and the remaining funds will come through in the coming weeks. Suncorp can get the fridges etc cheaper than retail through their buying power, so if we choose to be paid out cash rather than have them replace an item, we only get cash to the amount that it would cost Suncorp to replace (which is fair enough). So I suspect the $45K remaining on "our" list will come in around $30-40K.

Overall, despite the chaos, getting flooded has been quite a pleasurable experience. LOL

Overall, despite the chaos, getting flooded has been quite a pleasurable experience. LOL

Then you have been extraordinarily lucky.

I've lived in Brisbane all my life and have know many people who have been through floods. Usually the result has been heartbreaking. Regardless of insurance, the loss or irreplaceable family heirlooms has been devastating. And the psychological impact can be enormous.

Hubby's parents went through the 1974 river flood. EVERY time it rained afterwards, MIL would sit at the window and watch in the direction that the waters came from (ironically NOT the river side). Eventually they moved away.
Marg

Then you have been extraordinarily lucky.
Yes, we sure have. I wasn't meaning to trivialise the trauma that a flood can cause; just indicating that I'm grateful that it wasn't so much worse for us.

And I'm aware of the psychological impact; both my kids have been diagnosed with "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder". :( Apparently it's not so much about the water, but because they saw that Mum and Dad weren't able to stop the flood water, and up until now they'd thought we were omnipotent. It's the realisation that there are some things beyond even Mum and Dad's control that's causing them so much trauma, apparently. They're not sleeping well, obsessively check the weather radar online and on the TV, and are constantly scanning the horizon for clouds and asking which direction they're moving in. If it actually rains, they're terrified and cry and shake. :(

So I'm sorry if you were offended; that wasn't my intention, at all.

Yes, we sure have. I wasn't meaning to trivialise the trauma that a flood can cause; just indicating that I'm grateful that it wasn't so much worse for us.

And I'm aware of the psychological impact; both my kids have been diagnosed with "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder". :( Apparently it's not so much about the water, but because they saw that Mum and Dad weren't able to stop the flood water, and up until now they'd thought we were omnipotent. It's the realisation that there are some things beyond even Mum and Dad's control that's causing them so much trauma, apparently. They're not sleeping well, obsessively check the weather radar online and on the TV, and are constantly scanning the horizon for clouds and asking which direction they're moving in. If it actually rains, they're terrified and cry and shake. :(

Thanks for sharing Tracey. Insurance can get really complicated. I'm insured with 3 different companies for properties depending on what cover suits me best for particular property so I keep a list and a short note beside it. ie, covers fence, covers flood damage.

Sorry to hear about your kids. What do they do to treat it?- therapy?

Lemons to lemonaide

I didn't perceive ozperp's post as trivialising the event at all; merely highlighting the the fact that a positive attitude is likely to be more helpful than a pessimistic or negative one. That is testament to the tone of her posting........eternal optimist, albeit temporarily homeless ;)

As they say, no one harmed their eyesight by looking on the bright side. :)

In the absence of the loss of life or physical injury by such events, it is true that the loss of personal (emotionally meaningful) possessions can be upsetting.

Thanks for sharing the insurance nuances ozperp. Have fun restoring/rehabilitating your abode into a dreamier place for you and family.

Great post ozperp. Thanks for taking the time to detail your lessons learnt.

Fortunately I've never had to go through what your family is enduring right now. Having only been in Brisbane once, I did wonder with it being so hilly, what the poor buggers did when it rained heavy who couldn't afford to live on the top of the hills.

It does re-inforce though that there is way way way more to this subject than the glib "It's OK - we've got insurance, we'll be covered".

When we got 'flooded' in 2007 we only got 1cm of water through the bedrooms. It soaked in through the walls :eek: It was a few feet deep *outside* the house. There were so many towns in the region hit by a sudden flash flood - really just stormwater runoff, we got 40mm in half an hour - that the insurance assessors were out in force.

It was just the bedrooms that got wet, and we ripped up the carpet and carted it out and moved all the furniture so the floors could dry. They wouldn't replace the carpet until the floors were fully dry, and that took 4 months. I should proabably mention that I was about 7 months pregnant when this was happening and the inlaws were visiting. The MIL got so narky that we didn't want her to DUST the furniture that was dirty from the renovation (who cares if some stacked up furniture is dirty when we're squelching around in a quagmire of soggy carpet) so they left to stay out of our way and I got to move all the furniture the day after madly digging diverting trenches outside. While 7 months pregnant. Sooooooo helpful of them :mad:

We got allowances for all sorts of stuff. Since we'd only just finished building the new bedrooms literally the day before this happened, we had excess building materials around (and that dirt the MIL insisted on cleaning) and lost a lot of bags of mortar and plaster using them as sandbags, so they gave us money for those. And also money for taking all the linen we jammed under the back door to keep the water out to the laundromat. We got 4 inches of water through a lot of the kitchen but it was all tiled so no damage done, just had lots of silt to clean up. The in-laws did a very good job of keeping the water from getting on the horrible grey carpet in the sitting room that we since paid $1000 to get replaced, had they not done that we would have got it replaced free ... c'est la vie.

Needless to say the inlaws think we were living in the most horrible place EVER, having only visited us twice - once 1/2 an hour before the worst flash flood in 60 years, and then when the baby was born and the house was still damp so all the furniture was up on blocks or stacked up out of the way and the floors were bare concrete and musty.

They've never seen the house *finished* with all the new carpet and the new tiles down. They've never been to our new house either ... probably never will. We're expected to visit *them* instead. My parents, on the other hand, visit reasonably often. Both sets of parents live exactly 210km away from us.

Sorry to hear of the impact it had on your kids ozperp. Hope it become all ok.

In regards to your outcome, sounds fantastic! A few years ago there was a flood in Melbourne and my mates place in Balwyn was affected. Her insurance company was AAMI from memory and they were brilliant also. They put the family up in serviced apartments in Kew, fixed everything and replaced the contents. Like you, they paid out for items that appeared unaffected. They weren't complaining though. I must say their experience with lodging a claim with AAMI and my experience with lodging a claim with Comsec for a fire was totally different. Mine experience was a lot worse I felt and from experience will never purchase a comsec product again as a result.

On the bright side, how great on getting the appointment with an award winning kitchen company! I suppose things like that can lessen the blow from such a horrible experience.

Fortunately I've never had to go through what your family is enduring right now. Having only been in Brisbane once, I did wonder with it being so hilly, what the poor buggers did when it rained heavy who couldn't afford to live on the top of the hills.

I can't remember exactly what my parents experiences were with floods but we always lived at the top of hills for that reason. Skateboarding was always good fun but it sucked going up hill on your bike!

Hrm, I have insurance with commonwealth bank for the old house now, it came cheap when we moved the mortgage there. Its vacant so any day now the excess rises to $2000. Considering I've already had about $500 worth of stuff pinched (basically everything loose and not so loose in the backyard) and I don't think there is anything in the house *over* $2000 that you can carry away with you, it may be time to change insurers.

Who the heck insures vacant houses these days?

So I'm sorry if you were offended; that wasn't my intention, at all.

No Tracey, I wasn't offended.

I simply did not want anyone to get the impression that going through a flood could EVER be thought a good experience, economic or otherwise.

I know many who were severely affected by the 1974 river flood found it difficult to cope with the attitude of many who were not affected to the tune of "well, you got everything replaced and nice and new so you are better off...". The smell, the mess (they were flooded to the top of the windows), the grey mud - I shudder still to think of it.

As you are finding with your sons, it is the emotional trauma that is insidious and hard to deal with. I would not be exaggerating to say that MIL never got over it, and in the 35 years from the flood till when she died last year she always hated heavy rain.
Marg

ozperp, you are eating into my bonus, please don't buy that door :D

actually during The Gap storm Suncorp even honored some claims where policies have been expired

ozperp, you are eating into my bonus, please don't buy that door :D
I was feeling sorry for Suncorp, but they have "re-insurance" and have a maximum out-of-pocket for any single event - such as the Brisbane storm on May 20 - of $5M, apparently, and I'm sure they well and truly reached that! So the rest has been spread out amongst all the re-insurers.
Strannik said:
actually during The Gap storm Suncorp even honored some claims where policies have been expired
If true, that is extraordinary.

i was present when a decision about 1 of such cases was made

it was expired by about a month and essentially extra 100k didn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things so they decided to approve it

I keep my insurances with them for the reasons you have experienced Ozperp. Costs a bit more but I dont want to be stuffed around when I claim,.

Allianz however..............now that's a different kettle of fish................

Thanks ozperp for posting so much good info about the events.

And it is really lovely to read so many good comments about Suncorp. I guess they offer landlord's insurance policies too. I'll keep them in mind for future insurances.

I have many memories of the Jan '74 flood in Brisbane. It was a significant event in my youth.

Nearly time to move back home at long last... just the kitchen splashbacks, carpet, and some patching etc to go. It's looking brilliant; I'm very excited to have a "good as new" home. I've never built or significantly renovated before, so this is a new experience for me, to move into a home that has everything that I've selected. I may bore you all with some pics. ;)

This weekend I'm putting all the kitchen stuff back in the cupboards, and re-filling the built-in robes, to reduce the amount of work required next weekend when we finally move back home, after 5 months and 2 weeks in an apartment. (With 8 kids and a dog in the household, it's been quite an experience. :p)

A few more lessons learned/ things to watch out for:

1) Pool. We discovered our policy didn't cover cleaning the swimming pool. Not a huge deal, we'll drain it (has FISH in it now), clean it with our high pressure water cleaner, and re-fill it. But if you would find this a big problem, make sure your policy covers pools.

2) Implications of doing "extras". Our builder and insurer were happy for us to do upgrades, so if it would cost $2K to replace the entry door with an equivalent one, we could pay the $1K extra to get a $3K entry door. And we upgraded quite a lot! One thing to bear in mind, though, is that it can impact on your accommodation subsidy in ways that I hadn't anticipated. Our insurer is paying our apartment rent while our house is being repaired, but every single delay is scrutinised as to whether it's due to "replacing with an equivalent item", or "upgrade". I can understand that if you decide to add a room, and that takes 2 months longer than it would just to repair flood damage, that they're not going to pay for 2 months extra accommodation to cover that absence... but they're taking this to extremes, IMHO. For example:

a. We had carpet, and we selected another carpet (floor stock, equivalent standard, from their supplier; we couldn't have the exact same one that was ruined because it isn't made any more). But the carpet we chose happened to take two weeks to supply. The insurer's saying that if the exact same brand, colour, style etc had incurred this delay, then they'd cover our accommodation for the two weeks, but because we've chosen something different, then they won't cover us, and they're cutting off our accommodation subsidy earlier.

b. We had laminate benchtops, we paid to upgrade to stone. Stone wasn't going to take any longer than laminate, except for the fact that the particular stone that we wanted ran out of stock and we had to wait 10 days. The insurer said that because the stone wasn't exactly what we had before, they wouldn't cover the delay, even though the same delay could have occurred if we'd chosen a laminate, and they would have covered that. So basically, anything that's not *identical* to what you already had, you have to be sure that it's available within a day or two of them telling you to choose, or you risk your accommodation subsidy. :mad:

Thankfully, I don't think it's going to matter much, because some of the items that are flood repair have been delayed anyway, but it's something to keep in mind.

3) Choices. Overall, our builder's been very good at asking us if we have any preferences, eg for type of built-in robe doors (sliding or conventional open-out), internal doors, etc. But they don't have to offer you a choice, and sometimes they forget to ask in areas that you care about. For example, I went to the house this week and discovered that our Daikin air conditioner had been replaced with a Panasonic. It's output is equivalent, and I believe Panasonic's a reputable brand, but I consider that the internal unit of the Panasonic is much uglier than the Daikin one. :( But I think I'll have to live with it - they've replaced like with like. I wish they'd consulted me, though, because I could have chosen a more aesthetically pleasing unit. Not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, but mildly annoying nonetheless.

Overall, it's still been a "not unpleasant" experience from the perspective of the works to our home; our home is going to be much nicer than it was when we were flooded. Our builder was brilliant, and I still think that Suncorp are a pretty good company to deal with. I must say that they haven't queried anything on our contents claim, they've been really good in that regard.

Back