The Future!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GZCYKk_ZxkY

"Introducing World's First*1 3D Compatible Head Mounted Display Equipped With HD Organic EL Panel -Offering a new 3D-viewing style with movie theater-class virtual screen experience"

Apparently already released in Japan (?!?!) for just under $800 USD per unit, the unit essentially simulates "an experience similar to viewing a 750-inch screen from 20m away, as well as 5.1 surround sound from headphones integrated into the Head Mounted Display".

What do you think? Would you buy it? And how does this relate within the context of social tv viewing? Generally I watch tv with friends/family and it would be quite awkward to all be wearing individual sets. Instead I find this sort of technology to be the next great thing for gaming. :) Set this baby up with a body-motion responsive device and gamers will start needing to exercise for their first person shooters. I can see it now, "BF4, brought to you by Gatorade!"

What do you think? Would you buy it? And how does this relate within the context of social tv viewing? Generally I watch tv with friends/family and it would be quite awkward to all be wearing individual sets. Instead I find this sort of technology to be the next great thing for gaming. :) Set this baby up with a body-motion responsive device and gamers will start needing to exercise for their first person shooters. I can see it now, "BF4, brought to you by Gatorade!"

Maybe this is why the next gen of gaming machines is still years off so far as microsoft and sony are going anyway.

Don't know that it is worth the wait. I could imagine my missus banning it within a week or worse placing a handy cricket bat behind the couch so she could get my attention...

What do you think?

Another peice of plastic crap to waste my money on so it can be outdated in 2 years' time?

Would you buy it?

Pass.

And how does this relate within the context of social tv viewing?

It further disengages us from those around us - you can't even talk to one another about something with those stupid headsets on. It's like that scene from Judge Dredd....

redblueredblue

It's like that scene from Judge Dredd....

That is the movie they shag using headsets as well, isn't it? They put on one headset each. Or is that another sylvester stallone movie?

Human existence itself would be threatened if a headset could recreate that kind of experience with any person you so choose to download.

Human existence itself would be threatened if a headset could recreate that kind of experience with any person you so choose to download.

Nahhh....she's pretty old hat - just ask any crusty old ward nurse.

Guys have been walking into hospital asking for help with a vacuum cleaner nozzle embarrassingly stuck on since the 50's......:D

New toy - same game.....us guys have been trying to by-pass the crabby frumpy female for centuries.

Nahhh....she's pretty old hat - just ask any crusty old ward nurse.

Guys have been walking into hospital asking for help with a vacuum cleaner nozzle embarrassingly stuck on since the 50's......:D

New toy - same game.....us guys have been trying to by-pass the crabby frumpy female for centuries.

You raise a good point. It might need two headsets.

Back