The great Oz property crash of 2005.

I don't understand why people think that Gen Y assumes that their parents had it so easy???

If I find a graduate position earning $50k I will be earning more than either of my parents ever earned!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Neither of my parents finished high school or went to university, and neither of them has ever owned their own home. I went to university so I didn't have to suffer the way they have.

Many, many of the students I'm at university with come from similar circumstances. My friends of Indian and Asian background have parents who couldn't afford shoes when they were young and came to Australia for a better life. We know how hard our parents had things and that is why we work so hard for something better!

People talk about Gen Y "wanting everything now" but a huge proportion of us put off paid employment to complete an education. We delay our LIVES to get this education. This is why young people stay at home with their parents so long and put off having relationships and children. Do you think this situation is ideal? Do you think we want to live with our parents and get to 40 and realise we haven’t had children and it's too late? We're living in a society where just an undergraduate degree isn't enough; employers want double degrees and post-grad studies. This educational pressure is one that I don't think previous generations had to face to the same extent.

You're all just making ridiculous generalisations when you talk about Gen Y being ungrateful and wanting it all now. Every day I am thankful that I got the opportunity to go to university. If I lived in a country without HECS I wouldn’t be there! I'd have the exact same life as my parents who struggled to put food on the table when I was younger. But with the way property prices and rent are currently, I think many more families are going to face that struggle. Many children are going to grow up without either of their parents being around because both have to work.

Who cares if air fares are less expensive? Travel is a luxury; a place to live is a necessity!

Belle you do have a very narrow perspective, there is plenty of jobs available where you dont need a degree. I know 15 year olds just finished year 10 earning up to $50 dollars an hour after doing a course for a few days. School teachers earning an extra $400.00 dollars a week driving a trucks on the weekend after doing a course for a few hours. There is an acute shortage of employable people. There is opportunity out there if any-body wants to get out and have a look. A lot of employers dont need degrees they jusr want some -one with the right attitude and willing to have a go and show some inititive.

When I'm at careers events and I ask the young representatives what they have studied many have done Commerce/Law, Commerce/Engineering and at a minimum Commerce (Honours). At a recent careers event I didn't speak to one person who had a straight single degree. This is a reason why I'm considering honours next year. Then whilst you work you're expected to complete further study (on top of long hours). Many people do CA/CPA/CFA/MBA/Masters/PHD etc post grad to get ahead. These are the people I'm competing against for a job! It's a lot of pressure for young people!

As a Gen Y I don't want to get too involved with this discussion, as I personally see it as alot of Gen Y bashing going on by some people.

Just thought I would shed some light onto something that Belle just mentioned in regards to graduates having more than one degree now-a-days to get a job.

I work for a large Government department, and can confirm that from the 200+ graduates that we employed to start this year, that more than 75% of which either had completed; honours, a double degree, masters, a double masters, and for some odd reason two people with a PhD...also for what its worth ~10% of these new recruits were Golden Key recipients...I can only ponder on the academic achievements of graduates that got into the more 'prestige' graduate programs this year.

I have no idea on the candidate quality of other agencies, but as I was on the panel for this years graduate program I can only shed light for my particular agency.

That's quite contradictory.

On the one hand, you say that many parents from previous generations had it tougher and couldn't even afford food.

Yet on the other hand, you finish your whole rant with a "But" families this generation will struggle even more (due to relatively higher house prices + rent) and children are going to grow up without parents.

So aren't you still whinging that your generation (I should say our generation actually) is faced with tougher circumstances and have to work harder and put off having kids as a result?

As a Gen Y I don't want to get too involved with this discussion, as I personally see it as alot of Gen Y bashing going on by some people.

Just thought I would shed some light onto something that Belle just mentioned in regards to graduates having more than one degree now-a-days to get a job.

I work for a large Government department, and can confirm that from the 200+ graduates that we employed to start this year, that more than 75% of which either had completed; honours, a double degree, masters, a double masters, and for some odd reason two people with a PhD...also for what its worth ~10% of these new recruits were Golden Key recipients...I can only ponder on the academic achievements of graduates that got into the more 'prestige' graduate programs this year.

I have no idea on the candidate quality of other agencies, but as I was on the panel for this years graduate program I can only shed light for my particular agency.

i think the majority of corporate panels start with education than move on to more interpersonal interviews to see if you're a good fit. some have 3 stages some have 5 stages. It's no point scoring high grades and being a super geek or socially awkward person.

the ones who capture the market do
but majority stay behind the scenes collecting melways or star wars toys and living in a digital world.

can't believe i'm in frankston at 1am still waiting for a cutover:confused:

That's quite contradictory.

On the one hand, you say that many parents from previous generations had it tougher and couldn't even afford food.

Yet on the other hand, you finish your whole rant with a "But" families this generation will struggle even more (due to relatively higher house prices + rent) and children are going to grow up without parents.

So aren't you still whinging that your generation (I should say our generation actually) is faced with tougher circumstances and have to work harder and put off having kids as a result?

Exactly! My parents had it hard. I personally have it a little better than them, but I still face a lot of difficulties. You can't say that a person from one generation has it better than a person from another generation because it's a GENERALISATION! You can't just ignore current issues that Gen Y faces because you think previous generations had it tough too. It isn't any more or less hard, it's just different. When I talk about house prices or the job market I'm not saying "ohhhh you guys had it sooooo easy, pooooor meee, wahhhhhhhhhhhh" but I think that is how Gen Xers must take it?

What is it with the bottom end of Gen Y? It seems that 12 years of being told "wow, you guys are the first generation to go through your whole education with computers" has made you all arrogant know-alls.

The youngsters coming through these days don't know what good tiems look like.

Exactly! My parents had it hard. I personally have it a little better than them, but I still face a lot of difficulties. You can't say that a person from one generation has it better than a person from another generation because it's a GENERALISATION!

I know our education system is kinda weak. Using a generalisation is both good and bad depending on the context. Sometimes you have to generalise because it is generalised information and it is convenient to do so.

Also the generalisation seems to be assumed."Baby boomers had it easy" means that some number of baby boomers had it easier than gen y.

And you can say a generation had it easier in general, because it is only a generality and everyone with half a brain knows you don't mean every single freaking person in that generation. If they do, that is their problem and not your.s

And you can say a generation had it easier in general, because it is only a generality and everyone with half a brain knows you don't mean every single freaking person in that generation. If they do, that is their problem and not your.s

The problem is when people start applying their generalised view of Gen Y to individuals like me and others that post here. It's really irritating!

Some generalisations are very fair though. My father (your grandfathers/great-grandfathers era) went through two wars (fought in the mud of Ypres, France) and the depression. I am more tolerant of his quirks and poor money skills than most here would be because of the generalisation that people of that era could not/would not have the confidence and knowledge of today's switched on youngsters.

I try to empathise with people. They are easier to like or talk to if you think about their circumstances

The problem is when people start applying their generalised view of Gen Y to individuals like me and others that post here. It's really irritating!

Cuts both ways.

I have been subjected to a great deal of age related abuse on forums. Sometime aimed directly at me but usually at us "boomers" who have caused all the problems and contributed nothing to the world.

'Tis easy to be smart if you've had a computer and the net all your adult life, but I was 60 before I got broadband. I knew my trade and little else before then. My real knowledge and understanding has all been gathered in those years since.

Hmmm...Golden Key. Never really did understand what advantage there is to being a member.

Yeah I accepted the Golden Key thinking it was a great opportunity, but in the end it was/is pretty pointless (especially in Australia) and disappointing...although each time the panel heard in an interview that the candidate was a golden key recipient they almost started drooling.

Back