The great Oz property crash of 2005.

yes their is angst, i dare say with good reason, and no matter how much people believe the baby boomers will never have to sell, that is the generation who they will be selling to. I also agree that rent is dead money to a degree, if I own my PPOR and its $600 a week in repayments, i can rent for $200, there is no cap growth, where am I better off? (not incl stamp duty and other initial costs), where can I save the most money for further investments..

if i was to buy a PPOR id have to take a long position on China, which i would not be comfortable doing, though you can never predict what a govt will do to meddle in markets specifically property.

Not sure if you meant interest + repayment, but $600 a week in repayments = buying a $800k property or so. Won't be renting that for $200.

sure id love to 'can' to wager, of course this will be measurable over the net.. i love the assumption that im just sticking money in the bank aswell.. yes id say im vastly more intelligent 'that' others, but then im only young and a 40 year old is of course smarter than a 30 year old and likewise a 20 year old.

maby i just have a more macro view as opposed to micro one

'maby' you do...

sure id love to 'can' to wager, of course this will be measurable over the net.. i love the assumption that im just sticking money in the bank aswell.. yes id say im vastly more intelligent 'that' others, but then im only young and a 40 year old is of course smarter than a 30 year old and likewise a 20 year old.

maby i just have a more macro view as opposed to micro one

i'm not a 40 year old - i only graduated from uni in 2001. vastly more intelligent? - i was the top graduating student in banking and finance 1st class honours in year 2000 - got degrees in accounting, finance, marketing and IT and errr a certificate in interior design and carpentry.... Was recruited in an internship with an global investment bank out of 5000 applicants across australia and have have worked for multinational companies ever since. 6 figures big deal - that's an old story. how about you?

i bought one property in 2001ish after i graduated from uni and only just found a job and i'm still looking to buy today

wow - and just think where you'd be asset-wise if you'd bought a couple more little units before 2003 ... and then again in 2009 during the "recession".

i don't "get" the mentality of this whinging younger generation. i am not that old (an x-er) but "way back when" you just decided to buy a house and did whatever you needed to do to buy one that you could afford, wherever it was located within bus distance of work. my first house was a very little 3/1/1 on the side of an unlandscaped cliff in the outer burbs. no carpet, no curtains, cheap kitchen - and then laboured every weekend for years to bring it up to something we found pleasant to live in.

it never crossed our minds to lust after something we couldn't afford and then whinge to all and sundry about unaffordability.

came across this little quote this morning and just had to post it:

Breaking News:. The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get the Heck Over It. Any complaints about how we operate, can be forwarded to 0800-waa-waa with Dr. Snivill. Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

wow - and just think where you'd be asset-wise if you'd bought a couple more little units before 2003 ... and then again in 2009 during the "recession".

came across this little quote this morning and just had to post it:

Breaking News:. The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get the Heck Over It. Any complaints about how we operate, can be forwarded to 0800-waa-waa with Dr. Snivill. Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

i actually did.

i'm not a 40 year old - i only graduated from uni in 2001. vastly more intelligent? - i was the top graduating student in banking and finance 1st class honours in year 2000 - got degrees in accounting, finance, marketing and IT. Was recruited in an internship with an global investment bank out of 5000 applicants across australia and have have worked for multinational companies ever since. 6 figures big deal - i'm trying to earn 7 figures through all my investments and income per year. how about you?

ive got my economics degree honors, starting my masters in eco, done the whole internship with big multinationals selection process yada yada, now work for probably the largest private fund in Australia (no investor cash)... we are not special by doing this, it is quite common among young people

I wouldn't base intelligence on this at all

A lot of Gen Ys are the way they are because they are young and read too many textbooks. Not to mention their current salary levels just poses too much of a struggle to do anything meaningful.

However, there are a few Gen Ys here who don't post like that, but maybe it's just not apparent to you we're Gen Ys.

Well said Deltaberry, I couldn't agree more.

There seems to be a lot of type casting into generations particularly in this thread, but guess what? We're NOT all the same.

i'm not a 40 year old - i only graduated from uni in 2001. vastly more intelligent? - i was the top graduating student in banking and finance 1st class honours in year 2000 - got degrees in accounting, finance, marketing and IT. Was recruited in an internship with an global investment bank out of 5000 applicants across australia and have have worked for multinational companies ever since. 6 figures big deal - that's an old story. how about you?

Hey well said. I used to think like him too when I was 20. These days I just put my head down. I probably have a similar background to you and made more than him at 21, not to mention time value of money... but in hindsight it was so silly to think anything of it. Exchanging time for money in a non-scalable way.

ive got my economics degree honors, starting my masters in eco, done the whole internship with big multinationals selection process yada yada, now work for probably the largest private fund in Australia (no investor cash)... we are not special by doing this, it is quite common among young people

another economist?

Well I wouldn't too, if that's all there was to it.

Back