The Hardest Post I’ve Ever Had To Write

Over the last couple of years I’ve chosen not to share with the forum our ongoing struggles. But on Monday the 24th of September at 7.15am my 21 year old son Matt died after a two year battle with cancer.

The loss we are feeling is indescribable, but I just wanted to thank those that did know our situation for their help and support. You have been my rock……. Shared my up’s and down’s and always been there for me. I don’t need to name names, as you know who you are. Thankfully Somersoft has given me the normality I needed over that time to deal with our trials.

I’d even like to thank those like Timmy, Thommo and a few others for the abuse and name calling they have given me over moderating decisions I have made. Even to the well regarded professional who ditched us as clients because we were unable to do things on time due to our situation………..You gave me that fighting spirit that I so needed.

I could not put into words how I am feeling at the moment, but I know each day will get easier.

I’d also really like to thank Jan and Ian, the moderation team, all my dear Somersoft friends and the wonderful MIG members. Nothing will replace my son, but your love and support has made the journey that little bit easier.

I’d also like to sincerely thank……
The Gawler Foundation: http://www.gawler.org
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre: http://www.petermac.org/
The Hope Clinic: http://www.smile.org.au/

I feel we tried everything possible to beat this thing, but the odds were stacked against Matt from the start. From being unlucky enough to have two primary cancers…..Osteosarcoma and Hodgkin’s Disease. To having to endure the ordeal of chemotherapy, having his right leg amputated and numerous lung operations to remove metastasised tumours.

Everything he endured was met with a positive attitude and a smile on his face…….he will be sadly missed by all that knew him.

RIP
Matthew

Matt.jpg

31/7/86 – 24/9/07

Last edited:
Matt was a very special person from an amazing family. I feel honoured to have met him. The world is now a poorer place.

Ruby we are thinking of you, the whole family, and everyone close to Matt. We can't begin to imagine your loss and we now hold our children that much closer.

Matt will now live on in the hearts of the many many lives he touched.

Take care

Anita

Ruby

Our love and thoughts are with you and your Family at this time of great sadness.

Matt may have not led a long life, but he led a cherished life.

To have the strong and unremitting love of your family, and to love them, too, is a blessing that not all are privileged to experience.

Matt was much loved.

Thank you for sharing this news with us.

Peace be with you.

Kristine and Mike.

Ruby,

I did not know Matt, but it's sad to read a story like this.
My condolences to you and your family.

Regards,
Bill

What a gorgeous, happy photo of an obviously dearly loved young man. My heart breaks for you Ruby,and your family. My boy is 21 and I can't even begin to imagine your pain. I'll keep you in my prayers and I do believe that life continues after death, that Matthew's spirit goes on.

bernly

Devastated

To fight such a hard battle so young in life and eventually lose. He must have had terrific inner strength which I know he must have gotten from you, Ruby.
At least Matt got to 21, which doesn't sound very old but when battling such an awful ailment can make days stretch to get the most out of life possible.
Condolences from Les and I to you and your family, Ruby. RIP Matt.

we shed tears for you ruby - tears of grief that you will no longer be able to hear his laughter and share his strength - but also tears of joy for having the privilige of having known, and shared the life of, such a special young man.

watch for him. matt is still here. in your moments of quiet, still your mind and you will know he is there - don't forget to talk to him.

i can feel his love for you from here.

Ruby and Neville

My love to you and my admiration for the strength, courage and love you have shown through this whole ordeal.

Chris

Ruby, as the mother of a 21 year old I cannot even imagine the pain you are now feeling. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

'The Angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God'

Matt will live forever in your hearts.

Ruby, so sorry to hear of Matt's recent passing. My prayers to all of your family and his friends that will miss him. In early high school I lost two friends in the one year so I know Matt's friends will remember him forever as a very important person.

My friend Tracy (who died in 1985) has a younger brother and I recently attended his wedding. He was a much adored younger brother who was 4 when his big sister died. I see an amazing young man standing at the altar and know 20 or more years have passed but the loss of Tracy still touches me. I know Matt too will have friends that hold him in their heart all their days. I am studying psychology now with a particular interest in grief that is in part due to my experiences as a teen. I know how much the passing of my friends changed my life.

Ruby, I am so so sad to read this thread. I really was hoping for you that this day wouldn't come.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family!

Dear Ruby,

May the memories you have of Matt remain with you and your family forever. So sorry to hear this news.

Yours Sincerely,

Jason.

Ruby,

My deepest sympathies.

The loss of any part of family is tough, but no more so than that of a son or daughter.

Hearing of the loss brings home to us that life gives and it takes. It makes us reflect on what is truly important. I pay tribute to the resilience you and Neville have demonstrated. Nothing can bring Matt back, but nothing can take away your fond memories of him.

Peter

Back