The heat in Melbourne's Inner City Property Market continues.

Delta your obviously very cluey but sometimes you need to take the blinkers off

Altona didn't see a boom?
Pretty sure where I live prices practically doubled between 04 and 10, come off a fair bit since then though
Bentleigh, Prices have probably tripled in the same period

A rising tide floats all boats , unless it's a fringe suburb with plenty of land supply
Yes some will be floated better than others but as you can see by the bentleigh example there are no hard and fast rules to what will be the best investment

Yes, you are right.

I may have some of my dates wrong, but it was some time ago now and I reside in Perth. From memory I thought it was around 2008-2009, anyway, regardless I jumped into a boom cycle in Melb.

It certainly was not only inner city that went nuts. I purchased 4 properties in Broadmeadows absolutely "on the nose" with locals but one of the best performers at the time. I also put together DA for 8 unit site and also a period home in Coburg they were all booming areas and lots of fierce competition.

MTR

Delta your obviously very cluey but sometimes you need to take the blinkers off

Altona didn't see a boom?
Pretty sure where I live prices practically doubled between 04 and 10, come off a fair bit since then though
Bentleigh, Prices have probably tripled in the same period

A rising tide floats all boats , unless it's a fringe suburb with plenty of land supply
Yes some will be floated better than others but as you can see by the bentleigh example there are no hard and fast rules to what will be the best investment

I'm talking about the boom right now. I thought the question was, what's happening in the current state of market.

Everything went up between 04-10. Including Altona. Is it moving up now?

well 6 months ago,

I was looking at box hill vic, units for about $330k -$350k we renting out at about $230-$240 per week, =3.7% not bad

I had no idea this is how people calculated yield. Surely this is wrong? Don't you need to account for costs and look at net?

For me I calculate yield as total yearly rent * 0.7 (I generally set aside 30% for agent fees, rates and other expenses) / cost of house.

On that basis it brings your calculated yield above from 3.7 to about 2.5%

Back