The impotance of having a local PM

The importance of having a local PM

Hi guys,

I've got one real gun PM located in Carrum Downs.

I've also got property spread around Melbourne. The current one I need to let is in Toorak.

I know places like Metropole PM service Melbourne wide.

Do you think it's possible for a Carrum Downs based PM to manage my Toorak place? How would they do it? Would they lease it via a local agent and then manage remotely?

Would my place receive less attention as it's far away? Or I'm wondering even more focus because it's 'special'?

Would her local handymen still be able to do minor repairs? Gotta say those suburban handymen are much more reasonable than the inner suburban ones. More competition I suppose.

David.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I've got one real gun PM located in Carrum Downs.

I've also got property spread around Melbourne. The current one I need to let is in Toorak.

I know places like Metropole PM service Melbourne wide.

Do you think it's possible for a Carrum Downs based PM to manage my Toorak place? How would they do it? Would they lease it via a local agent and then manage remotely?

Would my place receive less attention as it's far away? Or I'm wondering even more focus because it's 'special'?

Would her local handymen still be able to do minor repairs? Gotta say those suburban handymen are much more reasonable than the inner suburban ones. More competition I suppose.

David.

Personally I think it is better to get someone local to manage your Toorak property, rather than a Carrum based agent.

Have you asked your local PM ? Im sure that he would give you the same advise and may recommend a local agent that could manage your Toorak property.

Cheers

Personally I think it is better to get someone local to manage your Toorak property, rather than a Carrum based agent.
I agree, I'm using a non local agent but not from too far away (10KM).
There has to be a good reason for chosing a non local one.

The main issue used to be advertising - but th enet takes care of that in most cases now.

However, the agent still needs to visit the property, tradies may need to pick up keys etc - which can be difficult for one not in the area...

The Y-man

I think local is definitely better. My property is about 20 mins drive away from the last PM that managed it.

It always got last preference for everything because it was the furthest away from their office.....

And this property is in Sydney (more specifically parramatta region). Its amazing how much more service you get when the property is closer to the agent.

Totally agree that local is better!
I have learnt this the hard way recently when I realised that my IP was let out for far less than comparable apartments in the area - the local market had clearly moved and my agent from the other side of town wasn't up to date!

Regards
Propertyman

Last edited by a moderator:
Back