The Internet is a Playground

I've only just started reading some of the articles by David Thorne, very funny (to me anyway), I thought others may enjoy a glimpse

Here's a couple of examples

Halogen Lamp

Massanutten

Adelaide loser

Advertisement

Here's an excerpt from an interview and an an insight into his humorous style

I'm a journalist and you're in marketing. Are we enemies?

In many respects, marketing gives you something to b***h about and it is therefore a symbiotic relationship. Like those little fish that swim around with sharks or the birds that clean crocodile's teeth. As my day job entails making poor products look appealing so that people will be tricked into buying them and yours often consists of taking a story nobody cares about and tricking people into reading it, we are more like prostitutes working different corners than enemies.

Love the site, own the book.

The one about about 'obvious foggot' is one of the better ones, as is the list of complaints David's co-worker has made.

He started to become well known after he posted his exchange about an overdue account on reddit which went viral. This was the one about trying to pay an invoice with a drawing of a spider. Funny guy but some say he's a cyber bully:
technology-news/funnyman-of-the-internet-just-a-bully-say-former-colleagues

Interview with Oprah here :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C22rJP6MD0

This is how he started the overdue account email, the rest of it can be found here.

Date: Wednesday 8 Oct 2008 12.19pm
To: David Thorne
Subject: Overdue account

Dear David,
Our records indicate that your account is overdue by the amount of $233.95. If you have already made this payment please contact us within the next 7 days to confirm payment has been applied to your account and is no longer outstanding.
Yours sincerely, Jane Gilles

Date: Wednesday 8 Oct 2008 12.37pm
To: Jane Gilles
Subject: Re: Overdue account

Dear Jane,
I do not have any money so am sending you this drawing I did of a spider instead. I value the drawing at $233.95 so trust that this settles the matter.
Regards, David.

spiderdrawing.gif

Yeah, limp wristed PC dinguses. Dude is a master of pranks.

‘‘David is the archetypal internet bully,’’ says software developer Simon Edhouse, who features in Thorne’s "pie chart" web post, which went viral after it was featured on Late Night with Conan O’Brien and The 7PM Project. ‘‘David’s greatest weapon is his humour.’’

Yeah the guy calling him a cyber bully in that article was a victim of his pie chart post which started off like this before it escalated:

Date: Monday 16 November 2009 2.19pm
To: David Thorne
Subject: Logo Design

Hello David,
I would like to catch up as I am working on a really exciting project at the moment and need a logo designed. Basically something representing peer to peer networking. I have to have something to show prospective clients this week so would you be able to pull something together in the next few days? I will also need a couple of pie charts done for a 1 page website. If the deal goes ahead there will be some good money in it for you.
Simon

Date: Monday 16 November 2009 3.52pm
To: Simon Edhouse
Subject: Re: Logo Design

Dear Simon,
Disregarding the fact that you have still not paid me for work I completed earlier this year despite several assertions that you would do so, I would be delighted to spend my free time creating logos and pie charts for you based on further vague promises of future possible payment. Please find attached pie chart as requested and let me know of any changes required.
Regards, David.

simons_graphs_01.gif

What a classic bloke!

That Simon guy needs to realise the more he complains, the more DT loves it.

The solution is for Simon to get with the program and start a "Prank Olympics"...

One of my previous bosses has a good friend who loves pranks. One of his favourites is to order 2 metres of brickie's sand to be delivered to the driveway of someone he knows.

That's about half a day of shovelling.

He once ordered a dozen pizzas to our Proshop which we had to pay for. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the introduction. I was snorting coffee out my nose.
Had me cracking up - his style reminds me a bit of Jeremy Clarkson - love his columns too

Back