The Interview #9

Sailor interview

What a great post, I can see a lot of similarities to my own investing history. How can forward the post to others for inspiration?

Cheers
Charlotte30

Great interview Sailor. I have always loved your Cairns Heaven-on-a-stick, location details.
Funding IP deposits with share portfolio. Now that's something I hadn't thought about. It would be a very good way to keep on investing when hubby retires and we have no more wages.
I have never considered buying units before either. Must look into that. :)

Sailor, very interesting read, and well done,

what is your LOA? laws of attraction rule no. 6?

whats that all about then?,

I'm thinking about getting a new doodad as you call it, a ...

PLAYSTATION III .....kerrr chowwwwww as Lightning McQueen would say

some things you just can't live without...

Hi Sailor,

Great interview.

How did you play the sharemarket in your SMSF to buy IP's? You mean you you made enough money from shares (buy/hold, trading?) to buy an IP for cash outright? - as there is no leverage in SMSF? Were they relatively cheap properties?

GSJ

Great read Sailor,
I must agree with you on all your recommendations to new investors as well as some of the strategies I wish I had employed when I first started investing.
Thanks For Your Insights,
Martin:)

great interview sailor, and so much more information than asked for. we took the same wonky learning path as yourself (selling etc), so it's good to know we're not the only ones who have some regrets over the thorny path we travelled.

however, on to bigger and better things for you.

p.s. what line of work are you in? i must've missed that somewhere over the year.

Great interview, Sailor. And so much good advice for all property investors - whether newbies or more experienced.

Agree with you re selling houses - worst thing we have ever done, too. But, as you say, a wonderful learning experience. No looking back for us now!

Cheers
LynnH

Damn...................that certainly gave me some new things to think about and reinforced others that I'd already picked up around here!

There a handful of people here who's contributions I always look forward to reading, Sailor being close to the top of that list so all I can say is........Thank you very much for doing the interview.

Lizzie,

I'll take a guess that there's a medical slant on Sailor's profession............................but what do I know;) . Oh, and BTW, I'll probably be picking your brains for local knowledge in the next few months :eek: .

:cool:

Hello Sailor!

Fantastic interview, inspiring read and full of great information, love it. Top job Ruby and Sailor. :)

I like learning experiences especially...and negative Nellies, ha!

Cairns, beautiful Cairns, what a wonderful place to invest in property.

Hi Sailor,

Great interview.

How did you play the sharemarket in your SMSF to buy IP's? You mean you you made enough money from shares (buy/hold, trading?) to buy an IP for cash outright? - as there is no leverage in SMSF? Were they relatively cheap properties?

GSJ
Thank you GSJ. Yes, I made enought money trading/holding shares in my SMSF to buy 2 properties outright for cash. The first was a wee 2-bed unit for $130K (rented at $175 pw), the other was a block of 2 x 3-bed units (single title) for $220K (rented at $275 pw)....about to be renovated to increase the rent. Superfunds as far as I am aware, are not allowed to borrow money.

Hi Sailor,

We all know how well you've done in property, but you have also accumulated/made at least $350k in shares - that's impressive!

Just wondering what sort of strategy you have for your SMSF?

I would have thought that having residential properties in SMSF is not the best approach, as resi. IP's are great for leveraging off, and this can't be done in SMSF. And although you may have more cash flow type resi. properties here, my feeling has been that commercial property is the better instrument for cash flow, either directly or indirectly via property syndicates or listed or unlisted property trusts - due to the higher returns and they are often more tax-effective.

GSJ

read sailors post/reply/comments ,
can anyone give me the heads up on a savvy accountant that understands investment properties in the ipswich area (qld) the accountant my wife has used is not worth the proverbial can of h???se s??it, but then again i may be underestimating him for my wifes benefit,god i hope im right about the under estimating part:confused: :confused:

Well it wasn't a plan to begin with and I sort of did it by accident.....
Hi Sailor,

We all know how well you've done in property, but you have also accumulated/made at least $350k in shares - that's impressive!

Just wondering what sort of strategy you have for your SMSF?
I started playing...dabbling in the share market about 30 years ago with a couple of friends. Our investment at the time was $500 each. We pooled our funds and had monthly meetings...we were very professional!:rolleyes:
One of us did the charting (me cos I could do the math), one of us talked to people (she had connections), and the other one worked for a bank (she was our treasurer of sorts and handled the finances). We had heaps of fun, learned a lot and made a bit of money...which we later spent.
So when I started my SMSF, I contacted our old stock broker, and away I went again...this time solo. I took some advice from the broker, and spent hours with my mate Google, and did lots of research on when and what to buy and when and what to sell.
My strategy was to build up enough money to buy property. That was BEFORE I realised the SMSF was not the best vehicle in which to make money, as I couldn't leverage off anything.
So now I just park the rent, buy shares, and save up for the next SMSF IP. I don't put any other money into the SMSF...it just goes straight into IP's.

I would have thought that having residential properties in SMSF is not the best approach, as resi. IP's are great for leveraging off, and this can't be done in SMSF.
You got that right....and I did eventually!:)
And although you may have more cash flow type resi. properties here, my feeling has been that commercial property is the better instrument for cash flow, either directly or indirectly via property syndicates or listed or unlisted property trusts - due to the higher returns and they are often more tax-effective.
Yes, I think commercial property does have good CF, but so do my positively geared resi IP's. There's just not enough CG in commercials to leverage quickly into the next IP.

GSJ

Back