The Land Down Under Is Going Under

Some more D&G for you. Enjoy.
:D
August 12, 2008 | From theTrumpet.com
It doesn’t matter how many surfers there are in Australia—the coming surge of home foreclosures and bank failures will pulverize the economy. No one will be able to ride out this wave.

Robert Morley

It’s not so easy to get a loan in Australia these days. For the first time in years, the cost of borrowing is going significantly up. That’s not good news if you are trying to buy or sell a house. It’s not good news for Australian banks heavily invested in the housing market, and it is not good news for the economy.

When credit markets tighten and the cost of borrowing goes up, those who rely on debt to function end up struggling to keep their heads above water. But what happens when a whole nation relies on ever-increasing levels of borrowing and debt to operate?

Australia may be about to find out.

Financial conditions are certainly “tightening,” says Australian bank abn amro chief economist Kieran Davies. Official and unofficial interest rates are rising, and lax lending standards are being toughened. Others are a little more pragmatic. “We are in the process of bringing the curtain down on what has been a super cycle for the Western world’s financial institutions, which was built on the willingness of consumers to increase their leverage [debt] at fantastic prices,” says investment bank Morgan Stanley’s chief economist Gerard Minack.

“The escalation in leverage over the past 20 years is completely off the scale. It is bigger than the 1890s property boom and bigger than the 1920s. It is bigger than anything we’ve ever seen, and I think we’ve reached the limit of how far these trends can go. The unraveling will be extremely painful.”

Why are financial conditions tightening? Just as in America, Australians have spent too much, and their debt is backed by grossly inflated assets. The difference is that the Aussie crisis could be much worse.

Australians may be the most indebted people in the world.

As ludicrous as it sounds, according to the Australian, Australians have been compounding their debt at an average rate of 15 percent for the past 20 years. In 1988, the average household had debts totaling 32 percent of its income. Now the average is a massive 177 percent of household income, almost a world record for an industrialized nation. Meanwhile, wages have grown at less than a third that rate.

Even with the recent tightening—which included the lowest level of bank lending in 25 years in June—Aussie households have $95 billion more debt now than they did a year ago. That equates to an additional $4,750 of new debt on average for each man woman and child in the country—in just one year.

“It’s like a debt tsunami out there,” says Sandra Saker, who manages a Salvation Army Service for families in Sydney suffering financial problems. “Five years ago, the maximum debt people came in with was about A$200,000. Now we see people coming in with over A$1 million.” But all this shouldn’t be too surprising for Australians. Home prices have been going through the roof.

Housing Bubble: Soft Underbelly of the Economy

Australian homes are arguably the most expensive in the world by some measures—no small achievement considering the massive run-up in home prices in the U.S., the UK and elsewhere. Since 1999, the median house price has soared an amazing 140 percent.

Several indicators show how extreme home prices have become. The house price to average income ratio in Australia is approximately 6. That means that Australians on average are paying more than twice as much for homes as Americans were before their housing bubble burst (in the U.S., the ratio peaked at about 3). The Washington-based International Monetary Fund says Australian house prices are overvalued by almost 25 percent when compared with the homeowner’s ability to pay the mortgage.

Assessed as an investment, Australian houses are also very pricey. On average, rents earn about 3 percent, versus the standard mortgage rate of 9 percent—which means that if the house prices do not appreciate, investors go in the hole about 6 percent a year.

“By every metric I can think of, Australian houses are too expensive,” confirms Gerard Minack. He is predicting that prices will fall by 30 percent over the next two years.

If Minack is correct, and home prices are not sustainable, the economy could be in for a big shock. Rising property prices was the catalyst that encouraged consumers to increase spending and keep Australia’s economy expanding despite the “Asian Flu” in the late 1990s and dotcom bust in the 2000s. And the housing and related industries are what is largely powering the economy today.

Approaching Tsunami

Unfortunately, it is increasingly evident that Australia will not escape the housing bubble meltdown plaguing the Anglo-sphere’s two largest economies, the United States and the United Kingdom. The same factors that popped these economies—rising default rates, rising borrowing costs, and slowing economic growth—are in play in the island nation.

The wave is already breaking. House prices in every major city in Australia fell last month—the first time such an event has occurred since just before the Great Depression. Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Hobart, Canberra—all the big boys went down.

“I panicked” upon seeing the data, said John Edwards, chief executive of Residex Ltd., a company that tracks property prices. “We’ve been doing this for 20 years and have data that goes as far back as 1865, and it’s really abnormal.”

“Australia is headed for a once-in-100-year real-estate slump,” he says. “I have never seen the convergence of so many negatives.”

And when the housing market goes, the economy will really feel it.

At first it will be real-estate agents and loan brokers that lose their jobs as sales slow. Construction workers will soon follow, as property developers find that new homes are not selling either. Next it will be the employees at home improvement stores like Bunnings and others.

But that is only the beginning. Once the average home owner on the street finds out that his house is worth only three quarters or half of what it was last year, then things will really start to deteriorate.

People are not so free with their money when they think they are poor, and especially when they think they are going to get poorer. In fact, they do the opposite: They begin to squirrel money away. Once consumer spending begins to contract, then the housing contagion will spread into the general economy. People won’t be spending on flat screens, cars and vacations. Business profitability will fall, and then the job losses will really get under way. Those already announced by Qantas and Starbucks are a harbinger of many more to come.

The resource boom won’t save the economy either. As a percentage of gross domestic product, the mining and related resource industries originate approximately 8 percent of the total economy. Consumer and government spending account for 74.6 percent of Australia’s economic activity (as of 2006) and absolutely dwarf the real wealth-producing parts of the economy.

“It is amazing that in the midst of the biggest commodity boom ever seen [Australia has] still been unable to get a current account surplus,” says Gabriel Stein from Lombard Street Research. “They have been living beyond their means for 10 years.” Even houses in resource-rich Western Australia are falling in value.

And don’t forget what a collapsing housing bubble could do to Australia’s biggest banks.

Sydney research company Fujitsu Consulting estimates that 923,000 households will face “mortgage stress” by September. That is up from last year’s survey that found only 171,000 that were having trouble repaying loans. Since there are 6.9 million Australian households with mortgages, an astounding 13 percent of the total market could be in serious trouble. Any guesses what those kinds of default rates could do to Australia’s leading banks? They could quickly resemble the Bear Stearns and Northern Rocks of America and Britain. The share prices of Australia’s biggest banks are already plummeting.

My townhouse in Melbourne has just been conservatively valued (the loans mgr told me twice) at $25K more than I thought it would be. I did actually expect it to go down, so no, I dont believe a word of this release and confidently expect re values to come up over the next two years

Two Words

DEMAND

SUPPLY

Notice how i positioned these 2 words against usual preachings, that is because in this instance Demand levels are a lot higher ther supply levels... when thisw occours we have 1)Stability 2)upwards pressure on price.

Once again, Common sense will prevail.

Welcome to last month....:rolleyes:

This gem is from the same site.

Dont make me do the fact vs opinion exercise again.

A Physical Sin

Smoking is also a physical sin! You need to understand why.

There are many examples in the Bible where Christ showed people that their health problems were caused by sin. One example of this is the situation of the man sick of palsy. Jesus was returning home from a preaching tour. People brought to Him a man lying on a bed. Christ healed him by forgiving his sin. “And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee” (Matthew 9:2). What sins were forgiven? The sins that caused the man to have palsy—physical sin.

Smoking and other uses of tobacco have been proven to be of definite harm to the body. Smoking will cause permanent damage to your lungs, which God designed and created to give you life-giving oxygen. Jesus Christ was beaten with many stripes, so we could be healed of sickness (Isaiah 53:5; 1 Peter 2:24). How can we as Christians justify smoking and then expect Christ to heal us of the illnesses related to smoking? Smoking shows great disrespect for Christ’s sacrifice. If Jesus Christ was willing to be beaten with many stripes so we can be healed, then we should do everything possible to remain in good health! To do otherwise is sin!

There is a final component in my view and that is affordability. Generally this means the ability to purchase the asset with cash reserves or the ability to service the loan.

Lots of people like living at Palm Beach but prices have reached a level where the buyers who can afford have determined a price they can pay. If a load of Russian ogliarchs suddenly found Palm Beach attractive then prices would rise to an average of $10M. Just look at the south of France where one just paid $750M for a house. Similarly in Kensington prices average tens of millions because the world billionaire want and can afford to up the prices.

Migrants coming in might increase supply but I don't think that the majority are working for Macquarie Bank. Therefore their ability to service a $5M loan is not likely. Most of them are from China and India where it is quite common for 5-7 people from different generations to purchase a home together.

Affordability isn't increasing in my opinion as wages in Australia aren't increasing that dramatically. Add to the new equation a drop in the dollar and it just makes debt more expensive for the banks and the likelihood of a drop in interest rates a far of proposition.

No one will be able to ride out this wave.

I believe I have a balanced view on many things. But that quote lost me right there.......no point continuing to read on.

NO ONE............what a generalist statement to make

ta
rolf

meh.

never mind the fact that we are brought up to aspire to land ownership - it's part of our culture.

never mind the fact that out economy is fundamentally strong through any correction.

never mind the fact that the RBA is confiscating our after-tax money to prop up our nation's banks.

no, the economy is headed to the 5h1tter. just like the tech bubble, right?

"Dyin' in a den in Bombay...

Slack jaw - not much to say...

I said to the Man are ya tryin' to tempt me?...

'Cause I come from the Land of Plenty!"

Such sensationalism...where is "Chicken Little" when you need him!

Blah...blah....same crap as stuff back in 1990.....things will turn...maybe not tomorrow...but will within the next 2 years!

...too busy for such drivel...."oh" look another bargain in Tassie on the net...!:D

Some more D&G for you. Enjoy.
August 12, 2008 | From theTrumpet.com

....Official and unofficial interest rates are rising.....

"The Trumpet", as already spotted, is an apocalyptic armadeggon religious outfit. It gets quoted a lot, and supported, on the GHPC. That's probably where bananas got it from.

With regard to "unofficial interest rates are rising", they need to get up to date. The ING yesterday slashed their one year term deposit rate by a very significant 0.75% from 8.5% to 7.75%. Rates are rapidly falling. Falling deposit rates means the banks are getting the dosh they need more easily. Mortgage rates will follow soon. Maybe even before the coming RBA action.

Just had a quick browse at "The Trumpet" site.

Here's an excerpt from their article on Aus:

"Assessed as an investment, Australian houses are also very pricey. On average, rents earn about 3 percent, versus the standard mortgage rate of 9 percent—which means that if the house prices do not appreciate, investors go in the hole about 6 percent a year."

Again, another opinion from someone who assumes all investors are only in it for, or only able to make money from, cap growth.

They talk about rent earnings as "on average, about 3%". :eek:

That's AVERAGE, so this means that there must be rental yields below 3% that people are signing up for in Aus. This is absolute madness.

The worst rental yield I've ever had at purchase was 5.5%, so how low must some of them be if the average is around 3%?

Maybe he is talking about the rental yields now, compared to the current national median house price?

At best it's a very broad, innaccurate generalisation I'm tipping.

Anyone who buys an IP with this sort of rent yield is either;
a) hoping for the big cap gain win - and soon, or is;
b) going to be doing a development on the site soon to create the cap gain and are prepared to cop the neg cashflow for a short time, or they are;
c) very bad investors with high incomes who can service the neg cashflow, and they'd better hope they don't lose their job, don't get sick, or the interest rates stay low, and all of the above.

Sydney research company Fujitsu Consulting estimates that 923,000 households will face “mortgage stress” by September.
Funny, I thought September was when the RBA was going to start cutting rates and easing mortgage stress. And the big banks have already hinted they'll follow just not sure they'll go the whole amount... :rolleyes:

AFR front page today said:
The Reserve Bank of Australia has all but confirmed it will cut official interest rates next month, and has increased the pressure on commercial banks to pass on lower rates to bussinesses and mortgage holders.

Deputy governor Rick Battelino said yesterday the RBA was now "confident" inflation was under control and the central bank was "in a position to respond on interest rates".

"We cannot wait to see a fall in inflation before we start cutting rates because by then it would be too late," he told a parliamentary inquiry into the banking sector in Sydney. "We try to be pre-emptive when we start tightening and pre-emptive when we start easing."

** edit **

Ralph Norris, chief executive of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, the country's biggest mortgage lender, said banks still had to decide how quickly they could follow the RBA down.

"We will pass on a reduction but at this stage, I can't tell you exactly how much," Mr Norris said.

Michael

Back