The latest project

Hi Perky, I'm affectionately know as a bit of a tightarse by my husband.

Although you can get good prices from auctions, there are not many located around where I live, and you have to weigh the costs of time to go to them. Also you may find that you waste a whole day just to get a couple of $ discount. So, no, I don't go looking for actions for materiel, however, if there is one that is convenient I will pop my head in to see if they have something of interest.

My budget to complete the reno was around $30k. While I have been very naughty with keeping my paperwork up to date, I believe that we are quite a bit ahead of budget so far. I spend quite a lot of time looking for materials for the right price and will go with the cheaper alternatives (so long as they are of a reasonable quality) rather than expensive. This would change if the property was in a more upmarket area.

The only large expenses to come will be the deck & french doors. We will be building the deck from Merbau (spelling) rather than pine, as the dining, kitchen, deck will be the main features of the house.

The kitchen is vaccuum formed with granite benchtops and only cost $2000. I found a great little place at Wetherill Park that supplies a lot of developers & do them quite cheap. The tiles are el-cheapo Bunnings ones @ 0.48c each. The stove I got on sale & saved $500. This is the most expensive room of the house as most things are not that expensive, just time intensive (eg. paint, gyprock etc)

At the end of the day, if you can do it all yourself & you hunt for bargains, you will save a lot of $.

Last edited:
stunned

Hi skater,

Have just read this thread from the start. I'm Stunned .......you guys are amazing. We used to demo houses in much better condition than that. Obviously there's a quid to be made and congrats to you both for being so brave. Is this the type of place you were suggesting for me to look out for :eek:

I await the finished photos and any additional info you care to disclose with anticipation.

I take my hat off to you.

Regards

Jared

demoman said:
Hi skater,

Have just read this thread from the start. I'm Stunned .......you guys are amazing. We used to demo houses in much better condition than that. Obviously there's a quid to be made and congrats to you both for being so brave. Is this the type of place you were suggesting for me to look out for :eek:

I await the finished photos and any additional info you care to disclose with anticipation.

I take my hat off to you.

Regards

Jared

Hi Jared.

I would never recommend to someone to take on a project that has the amount of work as this. To do it all yourself you do need a lot of skill & patience and it is not suited for a lot of people. However, a tired property is something that most people can do.

We bought another one shortly before this one that I would consider "tired". It was very dirty (infact the kitchen/dining area was covered in grease & there were cockroach poops everywhere, including on the walls). It did take a fair while to do, as we only have the weekends available, but this is what we did:

Clean everything (you had to it was disgusting)
Paint everything
Replace benchtops with MDF & lacquer (didn't want to spend money on kitchen as it is a development site & we will pull it down in a few years)
Replace kitchen doors with MDF & paint gloss white (they look great)
Fix broken window
Polish Floorboards
Remove Ayres Rock from backyard (this was a giant pile which was started by a tree that had been cut down, & then all kinds of rubbish added on top, let the grass grow for a few years)

All in all, nothing too hard for the average person to do. We bought this place for $180k & had an offer of $235k about two months later. The reno cost under $2000.

Skater,

I think I am most happy for you that it appears that there haven't been "behavioural" concerns of the locals mentioned!! I am sure you would let us know if this had happened (as you have in the past)! Sounds like things are going much better and also a big congrats on getting it to the stage it is now! Can't wait for more photo's either!!

Dos

Great post Skater. I don't know about anyone else, but I find this account extremely motivating. Not just from an IP perspective, but also to get stuck into my PPOR and finish off some of the jobs I have been sitting on.
Thankyou. ;)

Dos said:
Skater,

I think I am most happy for you that it appears that there haven't been "behavioural" concerns of the locals mentioned!! I am sure you would let us know if this had happened (as you have in the past)! Sounds like things are going much better and also a big congrats on getting it to the stage it is now! Can't wait for more photo's either!!

Dos
Maybe I shouldn't speak too soon, but the locals are keeping to themselves lately. As I said earlier, it appears that some have moved on, which is great.

ToeEdge said:
Great post Skater. I don't know about anyone else, but I find this account extremely motivating. Not just from an IP perspective, but also to get stuck into my PPOR and finish off some of the jobs I have been sitting on.
Thankyou. ;)
Don't worry, ToeEdge, our PPOR is a mess. There are so many unfinished projects because time is short & then when we do have the time, we are renovating something else instead of where we live.

Aaarrrrgggghh I hate the JOB

This weeks progress was totally non existent as Hubby had major problems at work & ended up at the office for the weekend. Add to that the additional hours during the week. What company expects you to work from 7.30am to 3.30am the next morning then be back on the job at 8.00am for a meeting. Admittedly this does not happen all the time, but it is often enough to be a real pain. All this & they don't expect him to be claiming OT for his hours worked, just take a bit of time in lieu. Then when he says he is having one day off this week for a personal issue, they make him feel guilty. Aaarrrggghhh! This job has got to go, its just a pity we can't afford to get rid of it yet.

Sorry, rant mode over. Next week nothing will be done either as we will be away for a sporting competition. I wish there was more time.

tough boss

Hi skater,

Aint nothing worse than workin' your ass off for little thanks.There are some serious hours you're talking 'bout there (even more than the reno :D :D )

One day he will be able to give 'em the big heave ho, but I've got to say if he can reno that place he must be capable of almost anything.

Keep smiling, you're doin' great. :)

Jared

Well back on the job once again, although unfortunately really only one day as most of Saturday was taken up with Open Homes & an auction. There were only two of us at the Auction & I thought we would walk away with a steal, but it got passed in. The other bidder was another investor & neither of us were willing to go very high.

Sunday we got a little bit done, but the time just flew by. We only really got some patching of holes in the dining room & gyprock in the last bedroom. Of course I got some more painting done too. Thankyou Wayne for your help I hope it was beneficial to you.

Next weekend looks like a washout now as well as Hubby has got a breakdown at work once again. Aaaaarrrrrgggghhh!!! I hate his job!

HI skater,
hats off to you and your husband. Very motivating post. Well done. Would you be able to provide the kitchen place at Weatherill park. I need to update the kitchen in one of my IP. Would be of great help if you could give me the address. All the best and ood luck with your future renos.

arungounder said:
HI skater,
hats off to you and your husband. Very motivating post. Well done. Would you be able to provide the kitchen place at Weatherill park. I need to update the kitchen in one of my IP. Would be of great help if you could give me the address. All the best and ood luck with your future renos.
The kitchen place that we use is Paradise Kitchens. I'm not sure of the address, I know my way there without looking at street names. Sorry! The street it is in has houses at one end & industrial buildings at the other & it is located opposite a park. Hope that is of some use.

Another weekend finished and I'm weary & ready for bed.

Only half a day on Saturday as there was another auction to go to plus other houses to see and Hubby had to knock off early to go to a job interview. Sunday we worked like trojans & accomplished a fair bit of work.

The gyprock in the forth bedroom & dining room is finished. The ceiling painted, some of the skirting painted as well. Down lights in the kitchen & dining room. Kitchen painted & the tiling finished & grouted.

Hubby had today off work & we had the french doors installed. Lots of minor tidy ups still to do but it looks fabulous. We still have a doorway to install into the laundry & one to remove & fill.

Not much to go now & then I can show off some photos.

skater said:
Another weekend finished and I'm weary & ready for bed.

Only half a day on Saturday as there was another auction to go to plus other houses to see and Hubby had to knock off early to go to a job interview. Sunday we worked like trojans & accomplished a fair bit of work.

The gyprock in the forth bedroom & dining room is finished. The ceiling painted, some of the skirting painted as well. Down lights in the kitchen & dining room. Kitchen painted & the tiling finished & grouted.

Hubby had today off work & we had the french doors installed. Lots of minor tidy ups still to do but it looks fabulous. We still have a doorway to install into the laundry & one to remove & fill.

Not much to go now & then I can show off some photos.

Can't wait !!

Skater,

If you don't mind me asking, what was the going rate and what you paid for the french doors? What dimensions was that for?

Thanks!!

Dos

Back