The latest project

Dos said:
Skater,

If you don't mind me asking, what was the going rate and what you paid for the french doors? What dimensions was that for?

Thanks!!

Dos
Hi Dos, the french doors were $1500 fully installed and they are lovely. They are 2400 wide which includes sidelights on each side.

Skater,

Is that police tape in the picture? This could be a purchase for someone else.

I admire your efforts on the renovation. I'm just a paint and garden type of renovator. I've been doing a bit of an overhaul on the front garden of an inner city terrace...and that has taken a bit of willpower. Amazing what you have acheived in a short space of time with foresight, hard work and just getting on with the job.

Ajax

Ajax said:
Skater,

Is that police tape in the picture? This could be a purchase for someone else.

Ajax
Ajax, could be police tape, I'm not sure. Aparently someone threw a molotov cocktail through the lounge room window while the residents were watching TV. Nice huh!

Wow.

I have just read this whole thread.
Skater, you and your hubby are an inspiration.
My wife and I are beginning to dabble in some tidy up work, but are a long way from anything this major.
Can't wait to hear how some more of the numbers work out, if you are happy to share that info of course.
Keep it up.

Hi Skater,

Just interested as to what you think the property was worth. Personally I think it is a Demo job for sure. How much is the land value around there. Not that I'm looking at that area, just interested.

Cheers

Jared

demoman said:
Hi Skater,

Just interested as to what you think the property was worth. Personally I think it is a Demo job for sure. How much is the land value around there. Not that I'm looking at that area, just interested.

Cheers

Jared
These properties come on the market quite often (3-4 a year). Funnily there was a second one sold the same day for $132k (in a better area), but none of the bidders from the first one were there. The R/E Agent for the first auction is very good at their marketing campaigns while the R/E Agent for the second auction isn't as pro active. We bought the one we are currently doing from the Agent who sold the second house.

There was one sold earlier this year just up the road from the house I am renovating & it sold for $146k which is probably about the average price they go for.

Hi skater,

I assume you'll be selling thru the more pro active agent then. :D

And continue to buy from the other one. :)

Cheers

Jared

demoman said:
Hi skater,

I assume you'll be selling thru the more pro active agent then. :D

And continue to buy from the other one. :)

Cheers

Jared
Nah, they're only any good if you auction. It seems they are able to get high prices for the worst of properties, but not so good prices for good properties. Go figure!

Reactions: Les
This weeks progress was very disappointing. Saturday, I had to go to Sydney for the day with the kids & Sunday Hubby was sick, so we really only had one day between us.

Despite the setback, Hubby filled in the doorway from the outside & matched the cladding perfectly, although the inside still needs doing. Unfortunately that took most of the day. I was able to get a bit more painting done. As I said, very disappointing. Hopefully next week will be better.

Well next week (this week) wasn't any better. Sat morning saw hubby have to rush off to work then on the way back, someone run into him & wrote off his car. He's not hurt luckily, but we are now down to one car. While he was busy having car accidents I was buying at auction & looking at other houses which kept me busy for more than half of the day. This meant we got bugger all done.

So, this left Sunday, which was such a nice day, we spent the day painting the exterior. There is still some more before the outside is finished, but it is looking much better now.

skater said:
Well next week (this week) wasn't any better. Sat morning saw hubby have to rush off to work then on the way back, someone run into him & wrote off his car. He's not hurt luckily, but we are now down to one car. While he was busy having car accidents I was buying at auction & looking at other houses which kept me busy for more than half of the day. This meant we got bugger all done.

So, this left Sunday, which was such a nice day, we spent the day painting the exterior. There is still some more before the outside is finished, but it is looking much better now.

Skater,

Good to hear your hubby came out unhurt from the writeoff, I also wrote my car off last year and came out of it OK. Very grateful that I wore a seat beat and the big-fella upstairs was watching over me :)

Take good care of him! and don't work him too hard for now :p

Best Wishes!

amokk20us said:
Skater,

Good to hear your hubby came out unhurt from the writeoff, I also wrote my car off last year and came out of it OK. Very grateful that I wore a seat beat and the big-fella upstairs was watching over me :)

Take good care of him! and don't work him too hard for now :p

Best Wishes!
It wasn't a bad accident. :) His car is only a bomb, so it won't take much to write it off.

He was stopped at the lights when some-one ran up his rear. Incredible amount of damage to the car though.

Great thread!

My wife and I just re-read through the entire thread and we're amazed. Amazed because we wouldn't have to guts to try this and even more amazed for the blow-by-blow you've written. :):):) The snippet about the neighbourhood kids asking if you'd live in it was priceless!

We've got a three year old and and another on the way and couldn't even contemplate the logistics of doing what you're doing. Your kids must be older. :D:D:D

Best of luck. Sorry to hear about the car, but glad your husband is okay.

Jireh

Last edited:
Hi skater.

Like everybody else, I've been following this thread (saga) and am absolutely blown away with your fierce determination and drive.

You deserve every penny you can extract out of this property.

It takes a special person (people) to endure every thing that you and your husband have put up with when you took this project on.

Can't wait to see the finished product, which for your sake will hopefully be soon.

Regards
Marty

Skater,

I must take my hat off to you. I would have crumbled if faced with this challenge. If you are able to solve problems of this magnitude you can achieve anything.

I think having the skills to solve these problems is like having your own money tree.

Just keep doing more of what you are doing and you will be a great success story. I have no doubt.

Back