The latest project

Back at work again. Hubby has been off colour for some weeks & this has slowed the progress down somewhat.

We started to lay the footings for the deck on Saturday. I was absent for half the day as there were auctions to attend, so Hubby soldiered on without me. By Sunday the frame was completed, although this was not a whole day of work as I had to go Judge a Competition in the morning. Hubby off work on Monday, so this had the start of the decking being laid. He finished it today, all except for the stairs & cabling for the rails. It looks great! I have come home a lovely shade of brown from the decking oil. I looked like a vagrant picking up the kids from school.

Thought I'd post a few photos of the french doors getting fitted prior to the deck being installed.

Attachments

• Opening Back Door.psd.jpg
    Opening Back Door.psd.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 501
Wow!!!!

Skater,

After so long, I only just noticed this thread and thought I'd better take a peek. After checking out your last (thumbnails) post I worked my way back to the beginning of the thread, and man.... I was totally gobsmacked!!! :eek:

You are doing an AWESOME job there Skater; I think you (and hubby) deserve a bravery medal!!!

Without doubt, you work and your determination is an inspiration to anyone considering renovating!!!! My hat off to you both!!! ;)

Cheers,

Jo

Monopoly said:
Skater,

After so long, I only just noticed this thread and thought I'd better take a peek. After checking out your last (thumbnails) post I worked my way back to the beginning of the thread, and man.... I was totally gobsmacked!!! :eek:

You are doing an AWESOME job there Skater; I think you (and hubby) deserve a bravery medal!!!

Without doubt, you work and your determination is an inspiration to anyone considering renovating!!!! My hat off to you both!!! ;)

Cheers,

Jo

Awe shucks, don't say that. :eek: I don't think what we have done is all that special, just different to what most would do. I must say though, that I will be happy when this job is finished.

skater said:
Awe shucks, don't say that. :eek: I don't think what we have done is all that special, just different to what most would do. I must say though, that I will be happy when this job is finished.

Hi Skater,

Thanks for the update............and re above quote - don't sell yourself short, you guys are pretty special and this is my fav thread.

Cheers

Jared :)

Our half a day work on Saturday didn't see anything special added to the house. I got the oiling of the deck finished & coated the french doors. Started to finish the painting of the outside, but only got so far.

Sunday was the day to finish the outside, but it decided to rain. :( Instead we layed the carpet tiles & put up some of the curtains.

Teenage daughter is looking at this house now in a new light. There was no way she wanted anything to do with this house, now she is saying that it is looking so good, maybe we could move there? It does look good, but if we move there she will be more exposed to the neighbours, so that isn't going to happen.

Although it is looking almost livable now there are still a few finishing touches needed. We still haven't got the vanity connected in the bathroom. We need to buy several more doors & paint them. The laundry still needs painting & hubby still needs to do some repair work to the walls there first. There are blinds & curtains still to hang. The garden is a MESS. The cable & the stairs still need to be finished on the deck. The polished boards need a good cleaning & a very light sand & lacquer. We still need a new front door & hubby still hasn't finished putting the wooden trims around the front door where it had originally been destroyed. I know there is more, but I can't think of it at the moment.

Hi Skater,

Thank you for your inspiring effort, and all the effort you must go to to keep us updated. I find it very motivating like a lot of other readers.

I was wondering are you going to tenant this property and onsell? Do you find yourself becoming attached to the house now that you have put so much hard work into it?

I know you hubby is doing alot of the work, but is there anything which you find you need outside expertise? It certainly sounds like you can turn your hand to most things.

Best of Luck

Photo Update

Just back from Holidays. What a great time!

Hubby thought it was time to give you all an update. Haven't done any more since last post as we have been away, but is only one week away from being finished now (I hope).

Attachments

• Deck.psd.jpg
    Deck.psd.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 544
  • Deck 2.psd.jpg
    Deck 2.psd.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
More Pics

More Pics to view

Attachments

• Outside of House.psd.jpg
    Outside of House.psd.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 496
  • Kitchen Dining.psd.jpg
    Kitchen Dining.psd.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 513
Reach said:
Hi Skater,

Thank you for your inspiring effort, and all the effort you must go to to keep us updated. I find it very motivating like a lot of other readers.

I was wondering are you going to tenant this property and onsell? Do you find yourself becoming attached to the house now that you have put so much hard work into it?

I know you hubby is doing alot of the work, but is there anything which you find you need outside expertise? It certainly sounds like you can turn your hand to most things.

Best of Luck
Hi Reach,

Yes, I am very attached to it now. I love doing something that you can stand back & admire. We are intending to sell the place, but if no bites are to be had at the price we want, you never know we may just hang onto it.

You are right, Hubby does all the work. He can turn his hand to anything. He never ceases to amaze me. I mainly dabble in painting & general assistance.

Although Hubby can do most things, when we do a reno we usually take longer than anticipated as he works a full time job & our family is heavily involved in sport and all competitions and seminars etc are always on the weekends.

Once this is put to bed I would like a break for a few months, just to have some much needed family time. The next project could well be one we are currently holding, which will be a very easy project in comparrison to what we have just done. Of course that doesn't mean I won't keep my eyes open for the next acquisition. :D

skater said:
You are right, Hubby does all the work. He can turn his hand to anything. He never ceases to amaze me. I mainly dabble in painting & general assistance.
Hi skater.

You say your husband amazes you, but I (and I'm sure many others) are amazed by both you and your husbands efforts.

Great stuff, I wish you every success.

Regards
Marty

Hi Skater

Just a technical question as to how you have stored so many pic's.

When I look in your galery only 1 pic shows up yet when I look at the properties on the pic it shows it stored on somersoft :confused:

Also how did you make the series pics

Cheers

handyandy said:
Hi Skater

Just a technical question as to how you have stored so many pic's.

When I look in your galery only 1 pic shows up yet when I look at the properties on the pic it shows it stored on somersoft :confused:

Also how did you make the series pics

Cheers
Handyandy, I am totally illiterate when it comes to how to do pics on the computer. Hubby did all that for me.

I know that when we did the first lot there was not a lot of room left to put after shots. That would be why he has amalgamated the more recent ones. He is a wiz at photoshop as well as reno's. I believe that I will have to delete some to be able to post some more. :confused:

I didn't realise that I had any on the gallery. Don't know how to do that. It really is confusing as I know that he just added them to a post as an attachment & I thought they would all go automatically to the gallery, but when I looked they weren't there. I will have to ask him for you.

It's Finished

Well guys it has now been completed & listed for sale. :D When I get my act together enough I will work out what the total costs for the property were. Hoping now for a quick sale.

You have done a fantastic job! The house is now a gem because you have applied a lot of 'good taste' to the project. I hope you get a quick sale and that the economic result is satisfactory, you deserve a good reward. It is not easy to effectively renovate these sorts of places and realise a satisfactory result. Hope all goes well!

skater said:
Well guys it has now been completed & listed for sale. :D When I get my act together enough I will work out what the total costs for the property were. Hoping now for a quick sale.
Awesome Skater!!! Hope you get a fitting price for all your hard work. Well done!!! :D

Back