"The Market Yesterday, Today and Tommorow"

W

WebBoard

HI Everyone,

I have had so many emails and phone calls from people nervous about the state of the market and where it is going, since the tragic WTC terrorist attack. People are asking my opinion on this situation, I only know, what everyone else knows.

I am a little surprised at the skittishness of investors right now, I am asking the people who have contacted me, and everyone else,
to take the time, and reflect on your plan,

Consider the market, look at it as a whole, this is a moment in time, that will make you, or break you, if you do the wrong thing, certainly, it is a moment in time, that has already broken many great icons, watch and observe and protect your butts if you feel it necessary.

Will the stock market crash? will this see people dumping their cash into bricks and mortar? who knows, we can only take an educated guess at this, I ask you to monitor your market, watch what is going on, and dont make hasty decisions.

Your decisions should be swift and clean, when you feel the time is right, watch your market and when you feel it says, GO!, then do it.

Please, the drama and stress that the T.V and radio are placing on our decisions needs to be taken into account, and put into its place, account for the hysteria in your plan, its up to you, to decide, what is T.V ratings, and what is real.

We know the attacks have happened and people have died, that is real. We know the flow thru effects of this are great, research the effects before making hasty decisions financially.

Australia like the rest of the world, is in mourning over the events last week in New York, as well as so many other events on our own shores, this is understandable, but please, keep your eye on the ball, now is the time to look at the ripple effect going on around you.

Some things that have happened that come immediately to mind for me, I am sure there are events that I have missed, I am sure you guys and gals can fill in the gaps for me.

1. New York Terrorist attack
2. NYSE Opens low
3. European Stocks low
4. FHOG finishes in Nov.??( is this correct?)
5. Japan reports 1st case of mad cow disease
6. Tampa Refugee crisis
7. HIH
8. One Tel
9. Ansett
10.Apple Imports Banned
11.Record Low Interest Rates
12.Leading Wheat brokers go belly up
13.GST

This is all just of the top of my head, I am sure there is so much more. All of the above have affected how I invest. All of the above is in any daily newspaper, its there if you so choose to take notice of it, does it affect our property prices? I believe the ripple effect of all of the above will.

The fear factor has come home to many this week. I have often had this conversation about fear with many people, I ask them, what is the most precious thing to you?

They more often than not, they tell me it is their children, or loved ones.

I then ask them what is their greatest fear?

They say more often than not, bankruptcy.

I then ask them, that if they have a total financial breakdown, and go belly up, what will they be left with?

More often than not, they say, "their children and or loved ones, that is all"

Is that not the most precious thing? They can take away your house and car and investments, but they wont take away your loved ones. More often than not, the government will support and feed you and your loved ones.

So what is then the worst thing about going belly up?

Hurt pride is more often than not the answer.

Is hurt pride so bad? Isnt it there the opportunity to re-build? re-coup?

I ask these people, How quickly can you re-build do you think, if you went belly up?

The answer is more often than not, a lot LOT faster than it took the first time, because now they already have the knowledge of what to do, and what NOT to do.

Is bankruptcy then a good thing?

I dont think so, money cant buy you love, it sure does make you comfortable.

My point is, look your fear in the eyes, and look at the worst case financial scenario, is it really that bad? And then, keep going forward, onwards and upwards. In my experience, it is almost impossible to kill the human spirit. And in my experience, it is the human spirit that drives people to financial freedom.

The above list of events that happened this year, are very bad events, yet, there has been so much opportunity brought about by the events happening ( except perhaps the terrorist attacks, although I spoke to people who are making a killing in the steel industry as the fear and threat of war looms, very distasteful, but thats life :eek:(.

Thanks for letting me ramble, I hope this gets to more people who had thoughts of emailing me about the above situations, you now know my thoughts on the matter :eek:)

Cheers, TW

~God Bless America, God Bless Us All~

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Just a quick after note.....

If there is a war that also hits Australia, my investments will be the last thing I think about, they can have it all.

Food water clothing warmth and protection will be my only priorities, You'll find me in the hills on a small food producing farm, with a big gun.

TW
~Television, is usually only someones opinion~

Reply: 1.1

I'll bring some goats.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1

im pretty sure i can round up a few sheep! and i have an apple core with a few seeds left in it!

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Thanks TW,
Great post.

This exactly what I tell to my crew if and when heavy storm hits the boat: Where do you go? Stop. We have nowhere to go. You are not going make it alone. We have to stay and deal with it. We have to survive this together.

And they do stay, because they do understand that what is required from everyone at this time is - all hands on deck, keep proper look out and look after each other and boat. If we will stay together we will make home alive.

Fear kills more people then actual disaster. And it is well known fact.

Yes, it is so much uncertainty out there but so what. Just stay cool and think, act when it is required to act by you or by others. That's all.

I do not think it would be a war in full sense of the word. All we have to do just carefully get rid of that cancer. The rest of the body is healthy. Get that t’uma out and it would be it.
It would be difficult and painful, but what can we do.
Better get it out now before it spreads all over the body and infects everything.

We still have so many things to do – rebuild the economy, elect new government, help other countries to cope with exactly same problem, get rich and wealthy and finally just simply be humans and be happy.

Serge.

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Brilliant post Sergey, thankyou for summing it all up for me! :eek:)

TW
~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Thankyou for such a thoughtful repose. The basic sentiments I agree totally with.

The threat of war I feel though is low, at least not a traditional war - but then I don't trust politicians, so who knows. I do though feel that the incident in NY has helped many people to really concentrate on what is important (It has left me with many sleepless hours at night). And although part of the community have a feeling of a need for eradication of the terrorism that has caused this, one must remember that just like the poor, or those that use drugs, human suffering, etc, that it is part of human living. This DOES NOT MEAN that one should be complacent, but that attempts as eradication will inflicts also great injustices, and does not achieve the aim. It often also leads to more horrific implications in ways not intended.

One of the best things I feel I can do as a result of this great tragedy is to continue to analyse what is important to me, to find new ways to treasure and enrich these things, people and events.

My future is important to me. But even more important to me, (now and in the future) is living today to the full.

The events of today do effect how we act and how those around us act. Tomorrow will happen. Decisions and not making decisions that we do today, will affect both TODAY and TOMORROW. Thinking and acting (or not acting) is one of the wonderful things us humans can do. The market WILL BE THERE TOMORROW - in some form or another.

JustAMum

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

J.A.M

Brilliant post, you have highlighted the need for clarity in our lives, thankyou :eek:)

TW
~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.2

The property market will be affected in only in the following ways, as I see it.
A. Property purchase prices will continue to go up, or level out, or fall.
B. Rental returns will continue to fall, or level out, or rise.

In my analysis I suppose while interest rates stay low, and more people continue to look for ways to make provision for their future, they will continue to purchase in the property market, both for their own home, and and investment. So purchase prices while interest rates stay low will continue to rise. It may experience a slight small glitch as people come to terms with the implications of the MANY things that have just happened.

Rental returns will still remain depressed as more people provide more rental accommodation.

Both these are the effect of the that old rule - supply and demand.

Now as time changes, so will the market, and so will my future, due to the market and my decisions that I made yesterday and today.

But I must never lose sight of what is my true investments - being in my family and friends, giving returns for tomorrow, today, AND for yesterday.

JustAMum

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.2.1

Thanks to all of the posts.

Some sombre thoughts and very uplifting at the same time.

Man is not an island and neither is mankind. Maybe we should build more bridges.

PJ

Back