The Mother of All Booms is Coming??

Inflation hit 0% in the UK recently. I don't know the situation in the US, but I think that the EU is in a state of mild deflation.

OK, it's not Australia, but I wouldn't be surprised if the economy follows that trajectory.

Typically the base rate is a couple of percentage points above inflation, with mortgages a few points higher. So you might expect in that situation to have borrowing costing around 4% or 5% for the long term.

But the kicker is going to be wage growth. If earnings track inflation then they'll be flat, where's the money going to come from to push up rents and property prices?

Inflation hit 0% in the UK recently. I don't know the situation in the US, but I think that the EU is in a state of mild deflation.

OK, it's not Australia, but I wouldn't be surprised if the economy follows that trajectory.

Typically the base rate is a couple of percentage points above inflation, with mortgages a few points higher. So you might expect in that situation to have borrowing costing around 4% or 5% for the long term.

But the kicker is going to be wage growth. If earnings track inflation then they'll be flat, where's the money going to come from to push up rents and property prices?

Sharemarket

Sharemarket

Ok money could come from the share market, however when economic growth is low so are company profits and when profits fall so does the share price.

I'd be careful in shifting my money from overvalued shares to overvalued property.
Diversification comes to mind.

Apart from housing construction I can see that there is very little construction going on, projects are finishing and new projects such as the NW Rail link and the new airport are not about to start for a long while.

That's the construction cycle you are witnessing. Once the residential boom subsides, comercial projects will take off and after that industrial. Infrastructure projects are planned inbetween when needed and when the government can get the best price for them if possible.

Upgraders, with a bigger deposit from selling.

Exactly. You'll be stupid to buy 1 millions + home when you're in mid- late 20 with household income for ~150k and 5-10% deposit. Most people in Auction purchasing 1 mill -1.5 mill is around 40-50 years old. This people have saved up big money or they sold their previous house and put the money on the next deposit.

Also their household income will be ~ 200k or more.

Note: I saw a lot of young professional in their 30s in auction for a 2 bedder apartment for 650k-900k range.

That's the construction cycle you are witnessing. Once the residential boom subsides, comercial projects will take off and after that industrial. Infrastructure projects are planned inbetween when needed and when the government can get the best price for them if possible.

Good, let's hope it all happens because unemployed people can't pay the mortgage :)

Hopefully the economy is just in a period of adjustment which may take several years to play out, the AUD has dropped to something closer to its true value possibly and this will help many sectors of the economy. Wages probably overshot to the upside over the last 7-8years and there will be some subdued wages growth for a period going forward. I don't think there is any reason to believe that the sun won't come up tomorrow, wages will still edge up overall but some sector wages are uncompetitive internationally, a lower AUD will help soften this problem.
Rental growth will probably be limited in some locations unless there is an imbalance between supply and demand but most landlords will still look for increases inline with increasing costs IMO

Have just been linked this article, Australia: one of the worst housing bubbles ever, which predicts that "having the largest housing bubble and mining boom in Australia?s economic history going down simultaneously will cause a severe economic and social catastrophe."

Talk about doom and gloom! Is it really that bad?

Just entering my first property cycle.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I doubt it, this time we don't have mining boosting the economy.
Even NSW is weak and if we didn't have housing construction many of us would be unemployed.
I'd hate to think what's going to happen when all the construction finishes in 8 or 12 or so months time and no new developments start because the buyers have dissapeared :eek:

Oh well . We can agree to disagree

We'll see how brisbane goes over the next couple of years .

We've just paid off close to 2 mill debt on NSW properties . Looking at investing that and some more elsewhere .

Are you buying anywhere soon ?

Cliff

Ok money could come from the share market, however when economic growth is low so are company profits and when profits fall so does the share price.

I'd be careful in shifting my money from overvalued shares to overvalued property.
Diversification comes to mind.

I'm backing CBA to be closer to $200 than $100 a share in circa 5 years.

Exactly. You'll be stupid to buy 1 millions + home when you're in mid- late 20 with household income for ~150k and 5-10% deposit. Most people in Auction purchasing 1 mill -1.5 mill is around 40-50 years old. This people have saved up big money or they sold their previous house and put the money on the next deposit.

Also their household income will be ~ 200k or more.

Note: I saw a lot of young professional in their 30s in auction for a 2 bedder apartment for 650k-900k range.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow.

Who, exactly, are these upgraders?
The 40-50 year olds you are talking about would have little interest in living in an Inner West dwelling valued at 1-1.5 mill. At that price you are looking at 2br (maybe 3) in Marrickville, Dulwich Hill, Petersham, Lewisham. The houses are old, single storey, without much of a backyard and with little on street parking. The surrounding environment is more suited for the young family or younger adult who enjoys the cafe scene; night life; or is attending university. Essentially, they are more suitable to the younger adult or the mid 30s couple.
Hence why I don't understand what they could be possibly "upgrading" to. The only reason I could see a 40-50 year old purchasing such a property is for:
  1. Investment purposes
  2. 2nd home to be close to work
  3. Property for children

IMO, #1 is the most likely reason for why a 40-50 year old would be at an auction in Inner West Sydney.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow.

Who, exactly, are these upgraders?
The 40-50 year olds you are talking about would have little interest in living in an Inner West dwelling valued at 1-1.5 mill. At that price you are looking at 2br (maybe 3) in Marrickville, Dulwich Hill, Petersham, Lewisham. The houses are old, single storey, without much of a backyard and with little on street parking. The surrounding environment is more suited for the young family or younger adult who enjoys the cafe scene; night life; or is attending university. Essentially, they are more suitable to the younger adult or the mid 30s couple.
Hence why I don't understand what they could be possibly "upgrading" to. The only reason I could see a 40-50 year old purchasing such a property is for:
  1. Investment purposes
  2. 2nd home to be close to work
  3. Property for children

IMO, #1 is the most likely reason for why a 40-50 year old would be at an auction in Inner West Sydney.

There will be few people who will be looking (mid 30 or low 40) to upgrade from their 1-2 bedroom apartment (near the city) to a 3 bedroom terrace.

I'm pretty sure most young adult in their high 20 wont be able to afford anything around 1-1.5 mil.

Wow, you are brave and can you tell me where the growth will come from to justify the doubling of their share price?
Will their growing exposure to overvalued property have any impact?
Will the expected crash/correction in overvalued US/multinational shares have any impact do you think?

Wow, you are brave and can you tell me where the growth will come from to justify the doubling of their share price?
Will their growing exposure to overvalued property have any impact?
Will the expected crash/correction in overvalued US/multinational shares have any impact do you think?

CBA will do a share spilt after it hits $100, which will happen really soon....

My bet would be lower than $50, perhaps as low as $20. Banks get absolutely clobbered in a property crash. It is one sector I avoid these days after having been bitten in the GFC. Good dividends at the moment but too risky.

Reactions: BV
CBA was about $75 six months ago. With the lowering of interest rates by the reserve , house prices will continue to go up and do will CBA share price. The US is on the cusp of raising interest rates. Things are going to get better not worse ( where's Freckle?).

DYOR as this is my opinion only

Are you buying anywhere soon ?

Cliff
No Cliff,

Why buy when it's almost certain that I'll be holding losers and waiting for the next boom to come in 15 or so years...

I was looking at coastal properties near Sydney but prices have already moved and rents are low so it doesn't make sense to buy anything now.
I'm paying down debt instead and increasing yields.

Money in the bank earns nothing so I'm better of offsetting my loans.
Ok I'll pay more tax but there is nothing wrong with that, it means I'm making money :)

Back