The Mother of Backyard Entertaining Area Renovations

Great job! that looks amazing! what kind of tiles did you use? that's the next decision we have to make for our back yard reno. but what you've done in 7 months is amazing!!

How about we organise a road trip so we can ALL enjoy the fruits of Rick's labours?
Well done Rick. Very impressive show and tell. It's actually bigger and better than I imagined.

Thanks Rob and everyone else for the complements. Yes we are very very pleased with the end result. It was a design we came up with ourselves...the total length of the patios combines is getting onto 20m. All up the area covers 220m2. The pool it self is 7.1m x 4m.

Your've reduced the maintenance a bit, no lawnmowing, no pruning, just sweep the pavers, clean the pool, and clean the furniture. Wheres the fridge?

Enjoy the nice yard, you've earnt it.

Yeah Graeme that was a big consideration in the planning for us. No lawn, no gardens. Have 5 large pots with cordelines in them that get watered with a watering can and the pool pretty much cleans itself with the automatic creepy crawly cleaning system and daisy solar pool cover. Like you say just sweep the pavers and test the pool water once a week.

BTW,, the fridge is under the poolside patio shown in pic. Its the one full of beer, wine and spirits. :D

Last edited:
Bet the place looks great at night with that lighting too.
Did you put the TV up after the photos were taken? (I can't see it).

Caroline the place looks magnificent at night. It comprises quartz halogen lights around the area and a blue light that lights up the pool.

The flat screen LCD HD TV is not up in the photo's, however it mounts on the house wall under patio opposite the red wicker sofa adjacent to and also connected to the home theatre system.

So outside we have the option to watch what ever's screening in the threatre, a separate movie, music cd's, radio or HD TV. All of this also gets piped through the 120 watt outdoor speakers.:)

Last edited:
Great job! that looks amazing! what kind of tiles did you use? that's the next decision we have to make for our back yard reno. but what you've done in 7 months is amazing!!

We used Fremantle Stone for all our paving. It consists of Sandstone 400mm x 400mm x 40mm Lunar pavers throughout the area and a Red River Stone border around the pool.

Last edited:
Rixter,
Well done for the makeover. I am thinking of putting in a pool as well, the quotes (8m X 4m pool) from just under $20K for a fiberglass pool to over $60K and anywhere in between. Mind if I ask how much the pool costed you.

Looks fantastic! I would love a MOBEA like that.

One thing I can't get my head around is the roof trusses. If you look towards the garage door the end truss seems to be assymetrical (with the roof peak not in the centre). But looking in the other direction it suddenly becomes symmetrical.

Do I need to get my eyes checked??

Looks fantastic! I would love a MOBEA like that.

One thing I can't get my head around is the roof trusses. If you look towards the garage door the end truss seems to be assymetrical (with the roof peak not in the centre). But looking in the other direction it suddenly becomes symmetrical.

Do I need to get my eyes checked??

No eyes needing a check - just stop smoking that woopie weed! ;)

Seriously tho you are correct. We wanted the patio to run parallel with the fence line to maximise the entertaining area width, however the fence does not run parallel with the house. The fence runs away from the house the further it goes down the block.

Hope this clears your head space :)

Fantastic!!
I must have missed it, but how long did this project take? How many workers?

Thanks JB...Details of works carried out is in the 1st post on this thread. There must have been probably around 18 or so workers in total over the 7 month project duration.

I did the electics, shade cloth and general cleaning up type stuff. Employed contractors for trade works & labouring hard yakka.

Wow! Congratulations! That's a lot of workers and work to organise! Great job!
Would u have done anything differently, 2nd time around?
JB

Back