The next boom town ? ( Alpha, Qld 4724 )

Possibly, but be careful of:
1. Prices in Alpha that have already risen in anticipation (the mine has been known about for years).
2. Workers who only do FIFO.
3. Workers not wanting to live in the sticks in Alpha but instead will base themselves in nearby Barcaldine, where prices have already risen.
4. Mining companies who build their own camps.
5. Mining companies who build their own towns.
6. Mining companies who put projects on hold even after approvals are given.
7. Mining companies who put moratoriums on signing new leases with LLs.
8. Mining companies in general.

Possibly, but be careful of:
1. Prices in Alpha that have already risen in anticipation (the mine has been known about for years).
2. Workers who only do FIFO.
3. Workers not wanting to live in the sticks in Alpha but instead will base themselves in nearby Barcaldine, where prices have already risen.
4. Mining companies who build their own camps.
5. Mining companies who build their own towns.
6. Mining companies who put projects on hold even after approvals are given.
7. Mining companies who put moratoriums on signing new leases with LLs.
8. Mining companies in general.

I got a mate doing this in this area. He would rather spend 10k per annum on flights into Brisbane in FIFO than live in one of these areas. That way his kid can get a good education and also not uplifted every 3 or so years by moving around the place

Alpha isn't anywhere near big enough to support or provide the services and infrastructure to accommodate all the workers required, it's a town of barely 400 people! More likely they will be based elsewhere.

Alpha isn't anywhere near big enough to support or provide the services and infrastructure to accommodate all the workers required, it's a town of barely 400 people! More likely they will be based elsewhere.

Emerald should play a major roll in the development of the Galilee Basin.

Emerald is a thriving regional hub and provides supporting services to a number of surrounding mines in the Bowen Basin. The airport has already expanded and there is talk of further expansion to deal with the increasing traffic.

Emerald has developing infrastructure including a new shopping centre and a planned medical centre. It's had impressive population growth over the past decade and continues to attract people to the region including families. Average earnings are high and the town is expanding rapidly.

I think you should be looking closer to home Dubstep

Hi Pinkboy,

Mackay is not actually our home, we are here for a couple of years to redevelop the Hospital and then Mrs Dubs and I will be off to the next thing. ( we are up from Brissy )

I agree though that Mackay is a good place to invest, but with all the housing estates in construction, I wonder where the tipping point will be where supply outweighs the demand ?

I think you should be looking closer to home Dubstep

Hi Pinkboy,

Mackay is not actually our home, we are here for a couple of years to redevelop the Hospital and then Mrs Dubs and I will be off to the next thing. ( we are up from Brissy )

I agree though that Mackay is a good place to invest, but with all the housing estates in construction, I wonder where the tipping point will be where supply outweighs the demand ?

I think Mackay has still got a good run left! But then again, ive been here 29 years ;)

pinkboy

Where to buy in Qld

Hi Everyone, this is my area of expertise and I would have to say in these times, stick to the major mining towns and not the smaller ones. Sure you might make a quick gain but with escalating costs and the unknown effect of the carbon tax it will be best to stick to the major regional areas.
My pick Gladstone but keep it around the 500K mark and the same for Mackay. Roma is another one worth looking at too. Good long term returns. Not to spruik our business but wealthworks.com.au has regional reports that will give you a good non biased over view of some of these regions.

Is Shift Miner considered a reputable publication these days??

Mate who owns a cattle property outside of Alpha has been had a significant amount of cash flashed his way with the intention of a certain mining company setting up an accomodation camp where his cows once roamed.. Will be interesting to see if/when it all goes ahead.
Alpha can't handle too much more development in the current town area; a fair whack of it is flood prone, as seen in last years' floods.

Back