The next boom town ? ( Alpha, Qld 4724 )

I am confused, plenty of people are saying watch out for FIFO as properties may not be needed, now the part I am confused about, FIFO or permenant, it is the same thing isn't it, if you FIFO this will not be done on a daily basis or you would spend more time flying than working, if they FIFO they will still need somewhere to live for the bulk of the time so they will still need to rent the house on a permenant basis?

Fifo stay in camps

Look for a job in the mines there and you will get an idea of who will be staying where. Having said that there are always contractors and they will stay in houses.

I think they don't buy their own because there core business is mining and they would rather channel resources into that, not looking after old weatherboard shacks.

Would you do this deal?

Hhmmmm

I've got an offer of a newly completed 3br x 2 x2 duplexes (both sides) in one of the new estates in emerald. Price to be struck at independent valuation, say 425k a side, less 20k discount per side as a cash back post settlemnet as I know the current owner. (Saves them on agents fees).

I should mention that the 40k 'cash' I get out of this will go straight against the mortgage on my PPOR. Very attractive, n

I like emerald, I have one IP there at the moment which has done ok. What I'm not convinced about, is how mines 150 odd kms to the west of emerald are really going to drive values/rents in Emerald. The mines will be mostly FIFO. Is it really going to change life on the ground that much in emerald?

Respect mr Ryders opinion immensely, but concerned real estate in emerald is already pretty fully valued. The 'buyers agents/investment' groups are now onto it, and usually when they start moving I the horse has already bolted.

A I over thinking it?

Welcome any thoughts

Hi Korringal,

The thing to consider here is the requirements for this project, you have to take a big picture view to realise that Emerald will be the hub of the Galilee development.

Project requirements: Mine camps, mine development, railway camps & railway construction, water pipeline & camps, High Voltage network ( fed from the east of Emerald ) & associated camps.

These are the majors projects which will have to be built which will take thousands of staff overall.

180kms to the west of Emerald where the mines will be built is a tiny town called Alpha, population of about 400 and around 250 houses, this has no capacity to service the contractors and services needed to even build the camps required.

So Emerald is the realistic option for the main hub of services, admin, supplies etc.

http://www.alphaqueensland.com.au/

Beauty. Thanks for your perspective dubstep. Hard to really get a feel for what's happening on the ground from syd.

I have confidence that all the indications are that the big projects in the Galiee will happen on time.

Back