The non competetive nature of gas companies

One of our new tenants last month unfortunately became the unfortunate victim of the non competitive nature of Australian gas companies.

We normally use a utilities company to connect all utilities for our tenants - this tenant refused the service and went directly to the retailer herself - origin energy.
The previous tenants were with simply energy who refused to give up their billing rights to origin and did not allow a gas connection for 2 weeks.

We got one of our utilities companies involved as it was impossible for any one other than the tenant to speak to any of the gas companies. To cut a long story short, after much frustration the case was escalated to a gas ombudsman and it was finally sorted. The tenant had no gas connected for 2 weeks as simply energy was trying to force a connection with that company completely dismissing the tenants choice to go with a different company. Just crazy and this could create tenant compensation for landlords by way of free rent if not dealt with adequately.

Just a heads up that this could happen.

That is really interesting story, thank you for sharing.

Although I really cannot understand how this could technically happen.

At least there's more than one choice. Up here for electricity we have the choice or Ergon, Ergon or Ergon....

And if you want gas, that needs to be delivered in a bottle.

Oh how I miss my gas cooker.

Apparently the gas ombudsman was charging simply energy $1000 per minute until it was resolved (or something like that - hearsay from a person involved in that case). It was resolved that day.

Tenant is now happy so we are happy!

I had a bad experience with the same company trying to charge me months worth of connections fees when I bought my last property, even though property was vacant. Went straight to the ombudsman and got it all dropped. They'd send bills addressed to 'The resident' at the address. Glad I picked it up while I was reno'ing and before a tenant tried to move in.

Back