The NSW Planning System

Hi all,

We've put together a quick guide to the different types of development approvals in NSW, running through exempt development, complying development and development applications. This includes links to relevant legislation and a step by step guide to things you need to consider.

Exempt Development is minor development that you don’t need approval for. This covers minor internal alterations (a kitchen reno that doesn’t change the configuration of a room by removing walls is a good example), painting, recladding, roof replacement, small decks and the like.

Complying Development is work that meets a set of predetermined numerical standards and doesn’t have to go through the strict merit assessment of a full council development assessment process. If you meet the requirements, you can get a complying development certificate from council or a private certifier within ten days. Many development types can be carried out as complying development, from a new house to alterations and additions to an existing dwelling, to change of use of a commercial or industrial building to our old favourite, the granny flat.

What is a DA? A development application is generally for works that don’t meet the strict numerical requirements for exempt or complying development. These are assessed by Council. Timeframes are very variable.

Do I need a DA? Basically, where your proposal does not meet exempt or complying development criteria you need to lodge a DA.

The following link includes all of the above links, plus some other information regarding the development approval process:
http://thedesignpartnership.com.au/development-application-process/

If you have any general planning questions, put them up and I’ll see what I can do to help if you’re a fellow Somersoftian.

Last edited:
I have a principal certifier who is certifying my house.

Do I have to apply for a Complying certificate from the same guys? Or can I apply with another? An occupation certificate has not been approved yet.

What's required to obtain the final occupation certificate? Do I have to put turf on the entire lawn area? Or can I leave out some area as they were before construction started?

Last edited:
Anyone knows what's the difference between exempt and complying development?

My interpretation is -
1. Exempt development does not need anyone's approval. You can just go ahead and do this.
2. Complying development needs approval by a certifier. You can do this after the certifier approves it.

Wrong?

Anyone knows what's the difference between exempt and complying development?

My interpretation is -
1. Exempt development does not need anyone's approval. You can just go ahead and do this.
2. Complying development needs approval by a certifier. You can do this after the certifier approves it.

Wrong?

Yep.

Exempt development is development that is exempt from needing approval.

Complying development needs to go through a certifier both doesn't need to go through a full merit DA assessment by Council. 10 day approval instead of a statewide average of 62 days.

As far as your other question goes, I'm not certain, but I can find out. I don't deal much with the certifcation side of things.

Need a certifier for a complying development in Sydney

Building a retaining wall. It will only cost about $1500, but I need a certifier to approve it.

Does any one recommend a certifier in Sydney? How much will they cost for approving such a small work?

Last edited:
Back