The Off Topic Thread #2

I am always interested to see the latest innovations in Tupperware. Some very smart cookies design it. Though can't bring myself to don a skirt and head for the local T. Party.

Re Frankston, was down at the Peninsula last weekend. Had a nice lunch at Max's at Red Hill Winery, invited the rugby playing French waiter Hugo to stay with us when passing through Brissie, joined a nice family jumping 3-4 metres off the pier into lovely water at Flinders, walked around Cape Schanck and marvelled at the interesting rock formations, had an ice cream at Rosebud, took a wrong turn in Mt Martha up a very nice street......oh, and drove through Frankston without a second thought...................

Bloody nice part of the world that Penin.

After a very very tight 6 weeks or so (paid plan deposit, 4 new tyres and actually managed to scrape together a house deposit too and still managed to eat) we now have our land AND the first house deposit paid for :D

Next step is to pay off the bills we put forward to get all this money together. But much much smaller sums than the almost $4000 we pulled out of thin air this last month and a bit.

Oh its going to be nice to go to the supermarket and not be digging through the discount bins and looking for the specials stickers ...

What the hell are we supposed to do with our spare money now we've just paid for a block of land cash, renovated two houses mostly cash and are just slobbing around waiting for someone to do all the work for us on a new house?

I know! Some new furniture when the house is built! :D:D (in cash of course)

After a very very tight 6 weeks or so (paid plan deposit, 4 new tyres and actually managed to scrape together a house deposit too and still managed to eat) we now have our land AND the first house deposit paid for :D

Next step is to pay off the bills we put forward to get all this money together. But much much smaller sums than the almost $4000 we pulled out of thin air this last month and a bit.

Oh its going to be nice to go to the supermarket and not be digging through the discount bins and looking for the specials stickers ...

What the hell are we supposed to do with our spare money now we've just paid for a block of land cash, renovated two houses mostly cash and are just slobbing around waiting for someone to do all the work for us on a new house?

I know! Some new furniture when the house is built! :D:D (in cash of course)

We love those special discount stickers !!!!
We just got back a while ago from the supermarket and got all kinds of goodies....and real food too.
Not often you can walk out with 4 bags for $32.00

Our supermarket puts stuff on discount at the end of the week, or when a new shipment of stuff is due in. The trick is to go in almost every day rather than shopping once a week. I swear they only have two prices: $1.99 and $2.99 in the meat section. So basically every* meal we've had the last 6 weeks we've paid $2 for the meat and $2 for the carbs/veggies and it feeds 4 people :)

*except the $30 roast we got for my mother's birthday

And on a bad note, my grandmother has been given days to live - like, one or two days :eek: - so we're whizzing down there tomorrow to say goodbye. Or we could literally miss her forever. She has quite advanced and untreatable bone and lymph and stomach and bowel cancer, was only diagnosed about 2 or 3 months ago. Its all happened rather fast.

Very simple too. 3oz sugar, 9oz flour, 6oz butter

Oz? Oz? What is this strange measurement? :p

That's what i really should be doing.........But instead i try to avoid my own cooking if i can. I've now got a good cook on hand.. Just kidding, i'll get in trouble for that one!

So basically every* meal we've had the last 6 weeks we've paid $2 for the meat and $2 for the carbs/veggies and it feeds 4 people :)

Maybe i need to move further out! As i said, i've got a cook on hand so my shopping is like $20 for a week or two. Living basically off pasta, not so great, at least not with my cooking.

Tim Tams were on special for $2 the other day, so i treated myself. Although i don't think i should've eaten the whole pack to myself, in 2 days...:D

I think i like you today Elf, every quote is about yours!

And on a bad note, my grandmother has been given days to live - like, one or two days :eek: - so we're whizzing down there tomorrow to say goodbye. Or we could literally miss her forever. She has quite advanced and untreatable bone and lymph and stomach and bowel cancer, was only diagnosed about 2 or 3 months ago. Its all happened rather fast.

That's no good at all, i hope you're holding up okay, and you get to see her in time. :(

Why are we only allowed to use 5 smilies damn it!

That's what I was thinking too (what the hell is 3oz of sugar in cups) but it turns out our scales have such old fashioned measurements on them so it was all good :D

My mother has camped out at the hospital. My parents are luddites. I told them to turn their mobile phone on for once (they NEVER turn it on except to call us when they have their free hour of calls each week) in case they're not home when we turn up and they said we should just call the hospital and they'll put us through ...

That's what I was thinking too (what the hell is 3oz of sugar in cups) but it turns out our scales have such old fashioned measurements on them so it was all good :D

Haha, that makes it easy then. For the record Oz = about 30g and 8 Oz is one Cup. I love you Google! (Yes i need google, unlike some people i know i'm not such a fountain of useless unformation..) :p

My mother has camped out at the hospital. My parents are luddites. I told them to turn their mobile phone on for once (they NEVER turn it on except to call us when they have their free hour of calls each week) in case they're not home when we turn up and they said we should just call the hospital and they'll put us through ...

My Mum used to be hopeless with her phone too, getting better now. Still takes 20mins to write a message though!

And one Cup is about 3/4 of a Mug, at least in my house (we have relatively small mugs).

That is quite a small mug..

I wouldn't know, i don't use my mugs, i also have no measuring instruments.

Apparently i'm weird, because of this.

Went out for a coffee with my boss, she asked if i wanted one, i said no thanks i don't drink coffee. Okay, tea? No thanks, don't drink that much either. Soft drink? No thanks, i don't drink soft drink either. She's gone what the hell do you drink then?! Water. She's then gotten out her smokes, offered me one, when i said i don't smoke either, she's looked at me and said well what do you put in your mouth!!

I have quite a filthy mind, so i won't say what first came to mind...

Went out for a coffee with my boss, she asked if i wanted one, i said no thanks i don't drink coffee. Okay, tea? No thanks, don't drink that much either. Soft drink? No thanks, i don't drink soft drink either. She's gone what the hell do you drink then?! Water. She's then gotten out her smokes, offered me one, when i said i don't smoke either, she's looked at me and said well what do you put in your mouth!!

Chocolate! You could have said chocolate. Or Tim Tams???:D

Very simple too. 3oz sugar, 9oz flour, 6oz butter,

Since all ingredients are in multiples of threes, you could use any measure you like. Flour = 3 times sugar, butter = 2 times sugar.:D

So, you could have 1 cup sugar, 2 cups butter & 3 cups flour, or 3 buckets sugar, 6 buckets butter & 9 buckets flour. Although I would presume that if you were using the second example, you would not be able to consume it all within a day (unless you have a seriously large crowd to feed).:eek:

Elfy, so very sorry to hear about you grandmother. I hope she is well enough to see you and that she is not in any pain. Take care.

you would not be able to consume it all within a day (unless you have a seriously large crowd to feed).:eek:

fat-man-on-motorcycle.jpg

That's not me by the way.

Oi! Cheeky one! I don't take 20 mins to write a message, thankyou very much.:p

Okay, okay. 10mins.

Chocolate! You could have said chocolate. Or Tim Tams???:D

Hahaha, okay we'll run with that. Chocolate it is..:rolleyes:

So, you could have 1 cup sugar, 2 cups butter & 3 cups flour, or 3 buckets sugar, 6 buckets butter & 9 buckets flour. Although I would presume that if you were using the second example, you would not be able to consume it all within a day (unless you have a seriously large crowd to feed).:eek:

Unless you're me, i love shortbread!!!! Num Num Num :D

Back