The only way to achieve success is to have a strong self esteem

So many people today go to courses, investment seminars and motivation sessions all to try and be successful, to make them feel happier and turn their lives around. However there is one fact that everyone needs to understand and that is no one can make you feel successful that has to come from within. Even when you see people at events breaking boards and walking on hot coals and dancing in ecstasy these feeling rarely last longer than the event. Which is why people go back to the event, time and time again? The next step is to spend more money going to longer and more detailed events. However once you come off the high you often return to where you started from.
Before you invest it is important to look at what motivates you. You may be surprised to learn that rarely is money the main motivator.
Most if not all people fail or succeed due to the strength or weakness of their self-esteem. No one will be able to make you feel better about yourself that has to come from within. If you don’t feel good about yourself you cannot expect other people to view you any differently.
If we look at well-known successful people they all have a few things in common they have a healthy self-esteem. They are focused to achieve in their given area and they are positive about their success. If you don’t have these traits to start with then don’t be surprised if success eludes you. I believe that anyone can achieve whatever they like providing they have a strong sense of self belief together with positive attitude and self-esteem and ambition.
So to start with sit down and write down all the things you believe are your strength’s. What makes you happy? What turns you on?
Once you do this make a list of the things that you would really like to do. Life sometimes makes us forget these things
Remember we all have the ability to achieve great success all you need to get there is a positive attitude, determination and a strong self-esteem. Believe in yourself and your whole world will change.

Great post.

Self esteem is definitely an asset.

It obviously helps with the guaranteed/frequent? issues an investor will stumble across.

As they say - the key to success is to be able to continue after being knocked down.

I actually think that self esteem is something that can be worked on/improved - hence the purpose/benefit of the courses you mention.

True......sort of.....

I now believe we all have levels of self-esteem.

I am as confident as all heck in the right circumstances , but my Mother can still manage to reduce to me a 12yo nobody :(
My 27yo daughter can also make me feel like a terribly inadequate mother in a number of ways.

I have found I am able to psyc myself into doing whatever I want to do with the dog-gone determined stuff that needs to make it happen. If I want it to be .... It is going to happen, Why.? Because I said so...that's why. :)

Hahaha oh man, what a load of crap.

You might have better luck selling that flowery, sparkly unicorn stuff to the Oprah crowd. Telling people 'you can achieve anything, if you just believe in yourself!' is a cheap, hollow soundbite with no actual relevance in the real world.

Have you read The Snowball? Read between the lines and there's a lot to be said for low self esteem and success right there.

True......sort of.....

I now believe we all have levels of self-esteem.

I am as confident as all heck in the right circumstances , but my Mother can still manage to reduce to me a 12yo nobody :(
My 27yo daughter can also make me feel like a terribly inadequate mother in a number of ways.

I have found I am able to psyc myself into doing whatever I want to do with the dog-gone determined stuff that needs to make it happen. If I want it to be .... It is going to happen, Why.? Because I said so...that's why. :)

This resonates with me. My mother has passed away but we were very close, and even though I was 49 when she got sick, in many ways I was still her little girl. I always wanted her approval, always sought her advice even though not always taking it. She was a great sounding board as I was for her.

And some of the things my kids say and do hurt me, and I'm sure that works in reverse too.

You can have low self-esteem and still be successful, just ask any Jewish comedian.

Conversely, you can have all the self-esteem in the world and still be unsuccessful. And likely intolerable.

Self-esteem is not the ONLY way, as the title alludes to, but having a healthy - balanced - self-esteem certainly helps.

Try negotiating a pay rise or putting oneself forward for promotion with low self esteem.

Try standing up to a service provider (tradie, etc) who's done a poor job with low self-esteem.

Conversely, as Fifth pointed out, if one's self-esteem is too strong, one can end up unsuccessful, eg, by spending all income on gadgets, toys, etc "because I deserve it". This is the difference, IMO, between ego and self-esteem.

I have met many successful, humble people, but they still have a healthy self-esteem.

True......sort of.....

... but my Mother can still manage to reduce to me a 12yo nobody :(

This reminds of that joke: "What do your parents and your kids have in common? They both hate you."

But seriously, I think I began to develop increased self-esteem when I stopped caring so much what others thought of me. Not to the point where I was narcissistic and self-absorbed, but I think a mindshift occurred when I realised that you shouldn't worry about what what you can't control - such as what others think of you. This is wasted energy.

Spend most time on what things you can control and increase your self-belief and confidence in your ability to control your life.

Try negotiating a pay rise or putting oneself forward for promotion with low self esteem.

I have to ask for one of these next week when I visit the office from a very fast talking dominant woman. It does take a bit to remind/inform hr of my strengths and is a good idea to plan some of these comments. I find complementing her hair as an ice breaker relaxes things. Even after all of these years I still feel nervous going into these meetings, perhaps it is fear of the unknown, self esteem certainly counts for a lot, but you dont want to have too much as well which makes you look like a tosser.

You get people that have high self esteem that don't necessarily have the same ability (due to other personality traits) as some low self esteem individuals, nor do they necessarily have desire and drive to attain more material wealth than they need, or to rise to the highest professional positions.

You also have people with low self esteem, who rise to the top in both of these areas, due to overcompensation - think aggressive or manipulative persons high up in organizations/companies who have shafted people along the way. Many of those people are driven by low self esteem.

Success depends on many things, and not all 'self actualized' individuals have tied success to monetary wealth.

I think you can have the confidence to do many things but lack self esteem.

I totally agree with you. The higher your self –esteem, the better you get along with yourself and with other people and consequently accomplished positive results. Having optimistic view in life is synonymous quality performance. There goes a saying .. “ If you don’t believe please don’t stop others from doing so”

Self esteem on its own is not enugh. I think persistence is of equal importance. The ability to keep going in spite of difficulties is critical. This success then adds to your self esteem.
Charlotte30

A lot of people became successful by overcompensating for their perceived inadequacies (that is, they had low self-esteem).

The low self-esteem makes them constantly seek validation, and success is a form of validation. In some cases, low self esteem can lead to lack of motivation. In others, perceived inadequacies can spur people on. Basically a 'I'll show them' attitude. Their sense of inadequacy makes them think it's not 'enough' so they try harder.

They don't enjoy their success very much, because their satisfaction comes from external validation, but that's another issue altogether.

There is no one universal trait for success. Success stems from combinations of different degrees of different traits (so high or low self-esteem can lead to success or failure, depending on other traits), complimented by environment and chance. That's why, despite all the literature and seminars and whatever, not that many people are financially successful.

Last edited:
There is no one universal trait for success. Success stems from combinations of different degrees of different traits (so high or low self-esteem can lead to success or failure, depending on other traits), complimented by environment and chance.

Ladies and Gents, we have a winner!

Self esteem is not rushing out to get covered in tats just 'cause the rest of the world is. ;)

Success comes from being willing to persist and do the hard work required to succeed in whatever endeavor you choose....

Getting up at 5.00am for those morning runs to lose weight
Sacrificing every weekend to renovate that old clunker to become a wealthy PI.
Studying for years to become the great surgeon
Millions of hours of practice to get to the top level of any sport
Sacrificing your time to spend with your kids to bring them up with good values, reading stories at night when you are dog-tired yourself etc....

And so on.

Most aren't willing...."the path of least resistance"

Back