The property manager's assistants in their super high heels

Have you looked for a rental property and property to buy at the same time?

It's doing my head in.

You rock up at a property for sale and it's all smiles and niceties and new-best- friend-land...

.. attend a property for rent and 80% of the time you are met by sullen young ladies teetering up and down the stairs in old Queenslanders in totally inappropriate stilletos, no smile in sight much less any kind of greeting, reluctant answers to any questions (omg, her expression is saying, someone has a question? how dare they -as if I'd want to know anything about this dump - snort!).

It's like living on two planets.

Just had to vent. :D

I've lived in rentals for sale and got the same deal.

Irritating young thing PM that NEVER returns calls if you want to know anything.

Older man in expensive suit and shiny car turns up unannounced to show prospective buyers through.

Renters really are treated as second class citizens in this country :(

Agreed, but build a bridge and get over it. :D

Instead, ask around for who is a great property manager in the particular area you want to rent. Then ring them up and say: "Hey, I known such-and-such who's employing you. They said you're s$$t hot. Have you got a property for me to be able to inspect?" I've done this before and it's opened many doors. I've also educated the property manager + their landlords that pets are ok (another pet peeve). :)

Hmm, it's funny how things differ.

I've been to so many open homes (for rent and buy) and i've noticed the property managers are really nice to me - in fact went to one the other day and spent about 10 mins talking to the property manager, then again he more or less ignored everyone else and i would say the reason for me catching his attention so much is because he knew i was in real estate, all the other people looked trashy (i was all suited up) and he was about 22 :p

But when i've been to open homes to buy, i get the whole "You're my new friend" thing when i walk in the door, but ignore me when i have any questions - because, you know, what 18 year old could possibly be able to buy their own home :rolleyes:

as renters (more than) a few years ago, with an eye to buying an IP and PPOR in the future, we made a note to never use a particular local real estate agent as property managers due to how they treated us as renters and their total lack of communication, even when it was in the landlords best interest to take preventative maintenance.

now we have the IP and that agent did not even get a look in.

they forget that todays renter could be tomorrows investor and the impression they make wont be forgotton. im not saying that they need to fall over the renters but a little respect goes a long way.

w0nnie - did you inform said property manager that you were definitely NOT taking them on? Just to let them know?

w0nnie - did you inform said property manager that you were definitely NOT taking them on? Just to let them know?

no, perhaps i should have as it would give them a chance to clean up their act and the more good competition the better

Last edited:
Have you looked for a rental property and property to buy at the same time?

It's doing my head in.

You rock up at a property for sale and it's all smiles and niceties and new-best- friend-land...

.. attend a property for rent and 80% of the time you are met by sullen young ladies teetering up and down the stairs in old Queenslanders in totally inappropriate stilletos, no smile in sight much less any kind of greeting, reluctant answers to any questions (omg, her expression is saying, someone has a question? how dare they -as if I'd want to know anything about this dump - snort!).

It's like living on two planets.

Just had to vent. :D

If my job was dealing with tenants all day long - and p.i.t.a Landlords who won't spend money on their properties....I'd be a bit sullen too.

But then; they can always find another job if they are not happy.

I think it comes down to "future mindset".

The ones with the future clear in their mind know that the pains are part of the journey to their ultimate goal of owning a rental roll, or Principal in their own Agency etc.

The ones who are there to earn money temporarily until they find a better gig will be like your friend in the stilettos.

I rent and own investment properties and I haven't had any issues with PM's while looking for a place to rent. Most have been quite helpful ... even the assistants in their high heels.

Of course the agent trying to sell you a place is much nicer ... probably has something to do with the difference in monetary incentives for a sale vs rental :)

Back