The Property Mood in Perth - Feb 2011

My son says he feels that Subiaco has a much higher crime rate than Northbridge, The Saphire Bar being well known for street brawls. Would be interesting to see the stats.

Last time I saw the stats, the CBD and Northbridge were leading the pack, significantly, and were both very similar.

When you consider that there are tens of thousands of people in Northbridge every weekend, your odds of facing any trouble are very low. The CBD is dead at night, and yet the stats compare to Northbridge.

That's not to say trouble is non-existent, but quite honestly, it's a very small issue. Your odds of facing trouble outside any busy pub/club around closing time are probably very similar.

I feel very safe in Northbridge, in the last two years I have lived here, I have not faced the slightest of trouble. I am out most nights (eating!), and work, fulltime, during the day in Northbridge.

Yesterday at work, I had a customer from Sydney. With his wife and small baby. They were on holiday, staying at The Vines. His family members in Perth had *warned* him not to go to Northbridge. We were both having a little chuckle, he couldn't understand what the fuss was about, and spoke of how interesting and multi-cultural the area was.

I explained it was the media.

I can think of one stabbing that has occured in the last 2 years.

When I lived in highgate, 8-10 years ago, at one point there were 3 murders, within 100meters, and within a few month period.

NOBODY wanted to live in Highgate then.

Now, well, try and buy a nice 3 bed house fin Highgate or under a million dollars.

YES, I have bias, as I live in Perth (technically Perth, not Northbridge). However, I can't think of an area in Perth with greater potential than Northbridge for passive real estate investors.

Last time I saw the stats, the CBD and Northbridge were leading the pack, significantly, and were both very similar.

When you consider that there are tens of thousands of people in Northbridge every weekend, your odds of facing any trouble are very low. The CBD is dead at night, and yet the stats compare to Northbridge.

That's not to say trouble is non-existent, but quite honestly, it's a very small issue. Your odds of facing trouble outside any busy pub/club around closing time are probably very similar.

I feel very safe in Northbridge, in the last two years I have lived here, I have not faced the slightest of trouble. I am out most nights (eating!), and work, fulltime, during the day in Northbridge.

Yesterday at work, I had a customer from Sydney. With his wife and small baby. They were on holiday, staying at The Vines. His family members in Perth had *warned* him not to go to Northbridge. We were both having a little chuckle, he couldn't understand what the fuss was about, and spoke of how interesting and multi-cultural the area was.

I explained it was the media.

I can think of one stabbing that has occured in the last 2 years.

When I lived in highgate, 8-10 years ago, at one point there were 3 murders, within 100meters, and within a few month period.

NOBODY wanted to live in Highgate then.

Now, well, try and buy a nice 3 bed house fin Highgate or under a million dollars.

YES, I have bias, as I live in Perth (technically Perth, not Northbridge). However, I can't think of an area in Perth with greater potential than Northbridge for passive real estate investors.

all great points.

my issue is that we only have a few of these areas in Perth to do this.

Subiaco, West Perth (a little), Northbridge, Freo, Maylands (a little), Joondalup (should be but aint)....

What about building up areas around satellite CBDs like Midland, Cannington, Central Ave (get rid of that Bunnings FFS), Morley, Osborne Park, Mt Hawthorn, Leederville etc....?

Our existing areas have SO MUCH potential untapped. with asingle stroke of a pen we could have all these areas re-zoned "mixed use R80" and be done with it.

all great points.

my issue is that we only have a few of these areas in Perth to do this.

Subiaco, West Perth (a little), Northbridge, Freo, Maylands (a little), Joondalup (should be but aint)....

What about building up areas around satellite CBDs like Midland, Cannington, Central Ave (get rid of that Bunnings FFS), Morley, Osborne Park, Mt Hawthorn, Leederville etc....?

Our existing areas have SO MUCH potential untapped. with asingle stroke of a pen we could have all these areas re-zoned "mixed use R80" and be done with it.

Someone suggested to me that lack of gvernmental planning may have somehting to do with it

Your suggestions sound good to me, epsecially if you add Osborne Park to your list of suburbs.

Someone suggested to me that lack of gvernmental planning may have somehting to do with it

Your suggestions sound good to me, epsecially if you add Osborne Park to your list of suburbs.

... i did..?

the lack of foresight is the issue. our governments have become a reactionary force instead of a proactive force and until that changes, nothing will be done.

Whomever suggested lack of govwernemnt planning did not suggest oit was only a recent phenomenon

Thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:

Mactiernan was pushing reforms of which you speak which were great ideas, not particularly ground breaking but essential measures to address urban sprawl, reducing govt infrastructure expenditure (over the long term) and revitalising urban centres around train stations.

The trouble with perth is combination of a gutless govt and voters who are resistant to change. Small town, small thinking.

exactly, if you are going to spread the population from Two Rocks to Preston Beach at least have the courtesy to provide more than a 2 lane freeway

Thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:

Mactiernan was pushing reforms of which you speak which were great ideas, not particularly ground breaking but essential measures to address urban sprawl, reducing govt infrastructure expenditure (over the long term) and revitalising urban centres around train stations.

The trouble with perth is combination of a gutless govt and voters who are resistant to change. Small town, small thinking.

Oh, you were wanting me to praise Alanah....

sorry

Back