The Property Mood in Perth - Feb 2011

Yes, it does!

Northbridge has free public transport, a museum, a state library, over 200 restaurants, many small bars and pubs, many galleries, and is the closest of every suburb to the CBD.

No other suburb in Perth has this.

I am not doubting any of it, I know the place all too welll but I stand by what I said

If Northbruidge ahs the bst amenties of a suburb in Perth, what does that say about the sad state of the rest of Perth

Sundary night dinner in norithbridge, my suggestion get there before 9pm if you don't want the waiters/waitresses to look at you like you're 1/2 mad for asking if you get a table - unless you go to takeaway/China town or a late night cafe (of which I can think of 1) like I did....

Hi Ausprop

On the first article I imagine a landlord in QV1 might have some issues now! Not to mention the many landlords that BHP currently spread their operations in Perth between...

On the second article it does seem that some sales activity may be returning (that King's Hotel deal was a pretty good one for the buyer from memory...) compared to almost zero in 2010, however I suspect the DD may be factoring in some reduced market rents compared to recent years?

I've got really no idea of course. I just occasionally get snippets from some with significant exposure in this market so thought I'd share...

Still a better idea than houses in Subi of course! :)

morley - agents seem to be extremely negative at the moment, prices for some properties have risen but in a lot of cases flat and not selling. land is selling extremely slowly at the moment although there is a tiny bit of activity

Just last week i spoke with one of my sales rep friends who owns a RE business in Morley - they're going gangbusters with listings and sales at the moment and are struggling to keep up with the workload. One other agent I know in the area has no new listings and no sales.

As a side note; i think Morley is a great area to buy in, price wise it's so cheap for being 8 minutes away from the city and with a major shopping complex and bus terminal.

I am not doubting any of it, I know the place all too welll but I stand by what I said

If Northbruidge ahs the bst amenties of a suburb in Perth, what does that say about the sad state of the rest of Perth

Sundary night dinner in norithbridge, my suggestion get there before 9pm if you don't want the waiters/waitresses to look at you like you're 1/2 mad for asking if you get a table - unless you go to takeaway/China town or a late night cafe (of which I can think of 1) like I did....

You're right about the 9pm thing on Sunday thru Thursday, I know a few that will open until 10, and as you mentioned, the few in Chinatown that stay open until 4am (or at least midnight or so such as Hawkers Cuisine). The late night cafe must be The Moon. There's always the late night

This will change. At 9.30 last night, there were a LOT of people around in Northbridge. Not a stabbing in site ;)

Just last week i spoke with one of my sales rep friends who owns a RE business in Morley - they're going gangbusters with listings and sales at the moment and are struggling to keep up with the workload. One other agent I know in the area has no new listings and no sales.

As a side note; i think Morley is a great area to buy in, price wise it's so cheap for being 8 minutes away from the city and with a major shopping complex and bus terminal.

which agent is this (you can PM me if you dont want to publicly state it). from what im seeing it is a real mixed bag in morley at the moment, some stuff doing well other stuff really slow

You're right about the 9pm thing on Sunday thru Thursday, I know a few that will open until 10, and as you mentioned, the few in Chinatown that stay open until 4am (or at least midnight or so such as Hawkers Cuisine). The late night cafe must be The Moon. There's always the late night

This will change. At 9.30 last night, there were a LOT of people around in Northbridge. Not a stabbing in site ;)

The waiter's looked at me like I was an idiot for daring to think of eatin gg at that time. One waiter's reply was "For Dinner ?, " while looking at his watch, "we closed".

Except at The Moon cafe, Hweker's Hut & Bill Lee's..

When it grows up past that, I agree it will have more o fthe culture night ilfe, at the moment, the most succesful thing I see is nightclubs to get drunk in.
And it shoudl & deserves to d othis too, ofr it's own sakes and the fact that it is the clseodst suburb to the CBD

I'm 39, I've know the place for over 20 years, in fact I work in Nthbridge/East Perth I'm not naive or scared from what I hear on tv.

But it it does feel to me that the activity / outing with the most options in Northbridge is bars/nightclubs to get drunk in or get hassled by bouncers for supposedly being drunk when you have not had a drop of alcohol (true story, but not limited to Northbridge by any means).

at least you can still drink alcohol in Northbridge.

Seems that if you don't want a coffee in Perth there isn't much to do otherwise....

at least you can still drink alcohol in Northbridge.

Seems that if you don't want a coffee in Perth there isn't much to do otherwise....

Yeah in nightclubs wher eyou ahve to give your id to be recordcxed to get let in aand get more intergoation than someone who sets of alarms at the international airport

Which suburbs have stopped serving or reduced the nubmer of palces which serve alcohol ? I se more now than previously - eyars ago, Grilled Hamburgers in Mt Lawley woudl not have served beer cider etc like they do now... You didnt ahve theas many palces as the little bars etc on Beaufort st either like you do now...

There are a lot more places to drink coffee now than before

There are a lot more places to drink coffee now than before

but i don't want a coffee. i want a nice glass of red to contemplate the ballet after the performance with my wife until the wee hours of the morning.

no, no - get back in the car, drive home (no public transport at that time) and discuss it there. by that stage i'm too knackered - i don't get to enjoy the moment, only remember it.

but i don't want a coffee. i want a nice glass of red to contemplate the ballet after the performance with my wife until the wee hours of the morning.

no, no - get back in the car, drive home (no public transport at that time) and discuss it there. by that stage i'm too knackered - i don't get to enjoy the moment, only remember it.

Couldn't agree more... Perth is so isolated and parochial, i think the consensus is that it doesn't need to change because its the best place on earth, and if you don't like it you can bugger off.

I think it will slowly change, as more and more people come from different parts of the country and world, the general opinions about what makes a great city will shift.

I think we expect too much from it actually, it's still a country town. I see Perth as a bigger version of Mandurah, it's got a long way to go before it becomes an exciting city.

Having said that, there are it's finer points of course, but no-one is debating those here.

oh I see waht you're saying.. sure bars have to close early cuse otherwise, you & I asre so stupid that we havewoudl sit there all night, then not be able to get up for work How would Perth run then ?

Lucky the government saves us from ourselves and akes sure we have nothing really to do and therfore we go to bed.

You & I know both know we are way too irresponsible to be able to do all that on our own

oh I see waht you're saying.. sure bars have to close early cuse otherwise, you & I asre so stupid that we havewoudl sit there all night, then not be able to get up for work How would Perth run then ?

Lucky the government saves us from ourselves and akes sure we have nothing really to do and therfore we go to bed.

You & I know both know we are way too irresponsible to be able to do all that on our own

I think the reason behind Perth not having small pubs open late is the lack of pokies.

I am not saying I am in favour of pokies but they do subsidise pub opening hours. You only need a few one armed bandits to justify keeping a staff member on. Drinkers you need three or four times as many.

I think the reason behind Perth not having small pubs open late is the lack of pokies.

I am not saying I am in favour of pokies but they do subsidise pub opening hours. You only need a few one armed bandits to justify keeping a staff member on. Drinkers you need three or four times as many.

Sure, that might as well be the reason

My son says he feels that Subiaco has a much higher crime rate than Northbridge, The Saphire Bar being well known for street brawls. Would be interesting to see the stats.

Amazing article.

Bias : I wrote it.

well it's a pleasure to meet you :cool:

1683172155_58bf9f3354.jpg

Back