I'm pricing up a build at the moment.
A small 4 bed double garage.
$99,000. Base price
$15,000 extras like double garage, ensuite
$3000 upgrade package
$35000 site costs and basix
$10,000 carpet,tiles,blinds
$7000 driveway,fence, grass.

Total of $169,000 but we are talking a entry level home around 14.5 squares. Finished product is 50% above base price.

In Canberra there's not as much choice for project builders, but I've been told that it is possible to do a custom built 4x2 for $400k. Hopefully that's a fair estimate.

In Canberra there's not as much choice for project builders, but I've been told that it is possible to do a custom built 4x2 for $400k. Hopefully that's a fair estimate.

My friends have bought a house and land package in Canberra. Forget the name of the suburb. Its a new one on the northern entrance to Canberra. 4x2x2. Good size on a very small block. $480,000

Cheers

geezus - here in WA i can get a 4x2 turn-key (that's floor cover, blinds, paint, site works etc) for 190k.

what are you blokes doing wrong?

what are you blokes doing wrong?
They're getting gold-plated taps.

I have a quote here for a weatherboard 4x2 for $87k + $6k delivery + $6k connections but I still need floor coverings and window treatments and so forth with that. It'll end up being around $110-120k. Don't *need* landscaping, carport, paved driveway etc here. Gravel driveway is pretty standard.

They're getting gold-plated taps.

I have a quote here for a weatherboard 4x2 for $87k + $6k delivery + $6k connections but I still need floor coverings and window treatments and so forth with that. It'll end up being around $110-120k. Don't *need* landscaping, carport, paved driveway etc here. Gravel driveway is pretty standard.

Hi elf,
Would u mind elaborating what the $6K delivery is? Is that for a relocatable home?
Thx
JB

My friends have bought a house and land package in Canberra. Forget the name of the suburb. Its a new one on the northern entrance to Canberra. 4x2x2. Good size on a very small block. $480,000

Cheers

The $400k is just for building the house, the land is extra!

WATCH OUT! for the totals at the end of the estimates, some builders will give you allowances for ie, 8k kitchen, tiles for 1 row around the floor , no air, etc...

and if you don't like those options you will be paying for the upgrades and extras, easily could add to another 50k +.

WATCH OUT! for the totals at the end of the estimates, some builders will give you allowances for ie, 8k kitchen, tiles for 1 row around the floor , no air, etc...

and if you don't like those options you will be paying for the upgrades and extras, easily could add to another 50k +.

And we've actually got to get the block first. The rising prices in Canberra, whose property market paused only for a nanosecond in the GFC, limit what we can spend on a build. And then there's the block itself - it is one side of a duplex and a block of 15x49x26, almost 900sq which isn't too bad. And if possible we'd like to be green and connected to the grid. So a few challenges ahead. But if you have a web site and could send me a link I could give you a call.

Back