The Real cost of building a home

We are starting to look at the cost of our build for our next PPoR.

It has to be custom built as it is on a slope and is an achitect design.

General enquiries about costs have come back with around $12k per square as an average, up to around $15k per square.

What this doesn't include I don't know yet, but I will make some enquiries today and get back to you.

What do people think of Rawson Homes's Bederra. Presumably you can render the bricks on the facade and tone down some of the interiors but the plan seems quite good.

What do people think of Rawson Homes's Bederra. Presumably you can render the bricks on the facade and tone down some of the interiors but the plan seems quite good.

the home will age very quickly, try and go with a split level desighn , rather than directly two story, you can still have the two story, but taken up with two or three split levels,

Hi Craigb,

Could you explain the difference between a split level design and a two story?
Also why did you say that home will age quickly?

Thanks

in my opinion , and i have spoken dallee about this , it seems to me the newer style flat roof ,and curved roof desighns , came in and every one wanted one, then they were not so popular any more, it was one of those cutting edge roof desighns that lasted 4 years or so, the square box desighened homes are going to do the same ? imop.

two story homes , sound great, untill you have to climb up and down the stairs all day long, usually flights of 9 < 12 steps to be able to get from 1st to second story, some time they can't be avoided, units and town houses, they are particurly nast for over 50, yo and young kids, a killer for mum as she is usually the one going up and down tending to beds and washing chores, they are painfull, , but you can achive the same, up stairs desighn by incorporating three sets of split levels , dividing the home into , three seperate living areas and allowing for ie 5 steps down to formals and beds , and five steps up allowing for access to upstairs, thus the living areas are in the middle of the home, 5 up and 5 down allow for a comfortable walk either way, reduce accidents , and its somthing those over 50 can deal with,

Craigb are you a building designer? Can this be done also on a very small block - will it still use the space as well as a standard 2 storey home would? is it more expensive to build? i know exactly what you are talking about but i cant afford an architect and none of the project builders seem to have anything of this kind of house.

no i am actually a builder, i have desighns tucked away in my head , both from training and experience, draw somthing down and start to overlay it upun each other , the idea i had in mind would fit on a block of about 790 m2 ish,

Craigb are you a building designer? Can this be done also on a very small block - will it still use the space as well as a standard 2 storey home would? is it more expensive to build? i know exactly what you are talking about but i cant afford an architect and none of the project builders seem to have anything of this kind of house.

Clarendon do split level homes, eg this one and http://www.clarendon.com.au/Homes/Detail.aspx?IdDataSource=42&state=nsw#. Craig may correct me, but I think this is similar to what he means. My kids thought these were great - lots of separate spaces.

yes sort of , with the plan , look at the plan on the left , walk up the stairs , and the garage is lower than the floor so you would enter in the left hand side and the 5 steps would get you to the right hand living areas , then the next five steps get you back over to the left hand side , and your on the third level, ish , i probly did a bad job explaining that , Sheesh ! i tried, ???

Back