The Refugee who tried to pay back their welfare

He came through legal channels. Enough said.

We should be proud this man is here. We need more like him; legal or illegal - it does not matter as long as they work hard, abstain from criminality and make an effort to fit in.

Our Immigration Dept has a long history of letting in perfectly legal people with documents and all who are unappreciative of their new country, Australia. Good to see they made an exception with this fellow.

Speaking of "Legal Channels" I believe Arthur Phillip arrived here with his band of criminal pals without visas.

We should be proud this man is here. We need more like him; legal or illegal - it does not matter as long as they work hard, abstain from criminality and make an effort to fit in.

Ah yes but we knew exactly who this guy was before he came in. Qualified engineer, had a sponsor who was a doctor, relatively young and presumably no criminal history because we know who he is. Sought asylum in Greece. Chalk and cheese.

Our Immigration Dept has a long history of letting in perfectly legal people with documentsa nd all who are unappreciative of their new country, Australia. Good to see they made an exception with this fellow.

..and a short history of letting in illegals who are unappreciative of their new country. Wonderful.

Speaking of "Legal Channels" I believe Arthur Phillip arrived here with his band of criminal pals without visas.

Sure, this is very relevant. Christopher Colombus arrived in America unannounced too I guess we better say similar things about Americans.

I thought if you were sponsored you couldn't collect welfare in the first 2 years. He says he got it when he arrived in 1999. Unusual.

Regardless it's great to see people new to this country appreciate the help and then get to the job of helping support their new country.

My mum arrived here in the late 50's as an immigrant - apparently because they needed workers.

She tells me she was in the hostel only days when a bus arrived and took them to the employment office (as it was known then) in the city and allocated jobs.

She and a large group of other migrants were on a bus bound for the Riverland to grape pick about 2 weeks after arrival.

She said they were housed in lined iron sheds with concrete floors and given bunks to sleep on.

It was stinking hot and unpleasant but said it didn't occur to any of them that this was in anyway not normal or unacceptable.

I'm sure if they did that now it would be considered inhumane :confused:.

He came through legal channels. Enough said.

this implies that other channels are illegal, which is incorrect if the people are genuine refugees.

in case you missed it the first 1000000 it has been said,

"• Asylum seekers who enter Australia without a valid visa by boat or plane are not
illegal. They are permitted to enter without prior authorisation because this right is
protected by Article 31 of the 1951 Refugee Convention which recognises they have
good cause for entering without a visa.
• No offence under Australian law criminalises the act of arriving in Australia without a
valid visa for the purposes of seeking asylum."

..and a short history of letting in illegals who are unappreciative of their new country. Wonderful.

A) who are the illegals being let in
B) where is the proof they're unappreciative?

this is a thread highlighting something good, why does it have to be negative?

Ah yes but we knew exactly who this guy was before he came in. Qualified engineer, had a sponsor who was a doctor, relatively young and presumably no criminal history because we know who he is. Sought asylum in Greece. Chalk and cheese.

You are completely naive to think that fake ID documents cannot be bought overseas. Having documents from tin-pot dictatorship countries is no assurance of being free of criminality.

As for "qualified engineer" - well, more often than not engineering or medical qualifications from third world countries are seldom recognized here. Which is why he got off his bum to go to TAFE. Full marks to the guy. We need more like him.

Digressing, there are plenty of lily white South African immigrants who arrived here, documents and all, who have been named by Truth and Reconciliation Commission for serious human rights violations (including murder) in South Africa. I know one fellow who is now employed as a Policeman in WA. A nice enough chap, with some very robust views.

"• Asylum seekers who enter Australia without a valid visa by boat or plane are not illegal. They are permitted to enter without prior authorisation because this right is protected by Article 31 of the 1951 Refugee Convention which recognises they have good cause for entering without a visa.
• No offence under Australian law criminalises the act of arriving in Australia without a valid visa for the purposes of seeking asylum."

Oh these rules only applies to persecuted white refugees from Zimbabwe or the former Yugoslavia. In the eyes of the chattering classes (who are well represented here), all other refugees (especially the dark-skinned ones) are criminals for wanting a new life in Australia.

Last edited:
are criminals for wanting a new life in Australia.

the assumption being that if yuo are that well healed to get here then you are not a genuine refugee. You can't take what someone else has just because you want it - it's theft. On a larger scale it's invasion. Otherwise there is simply no point to border control

the assumption being that if yuo are that well healed to get here then you are not a genuine refugee. l

well that's a pretty stupid assumption by anyone who makes it.

so only poor people can be persecuted?

aaron has mentioned the bahais in iran, so a poor bahai whose life is in danger is a genuine refugee but if the person has more money or has relatives who can help pay for his trip here he is no longer persecuited?

as for theft and invasion i genuinely have no idea what youre saying here. who is stealing what?

well that's a pretty stupid assumption by anyone who makes it.

so only poor people can be persecuted?

aaron has mentioned the bahais in iran, so a poor bahai whose life is in danger is a genuine refugee but if the person has more money or has relatives who can help pay for his trip here he is no longer persecuited?

I think the gist of it was that they don't need to come all the way here if they are merely escaping persecution as there are plenty of places on the way and continuing onto here is an economic decision, the upshot suggesting kevs plan will work, tho it added flying refugees the next likely big thing

The bahai refugees would now go to PNG, if kev manages to pull it off and get back in, which shouldn't meet with any objection?

as for theft and invasion i genuinely have no idea what youre saying here. who is stealing what?

72. Basic definition of theft

(1) A person steals if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to
another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

(2) A person who steals is guilty of theft; and "thief" shall be construed
accordingly.

A person, being someone claiming to be a persecuted person but in fact just someone wanting a better life and therefore is dishonest, appropriates property, as in taking common wealth assets and benefits... presumably permanently

If non-deserving persons are allowed in nilly willy for fear of being labelled a racist then all border control is lost. As great as it would be to let 6 billion people in to all have a quarter acre block and 2 cars, it just doesn't add up.

I thought if you were sponsored you couldn't collect welfare in the first 2 years. He says he got it when he arrived in 1999. Unusual.

Regardless it's great to see people new to this country appreciate the help and then get to the job of helping support their new country.

My mum arrived here in the late 50's as an immigrant - apparently because they needed workers.

She tells me she was in the hostel only days when a bus arrived and took them to the employment office (as it was known then) in the city and allocated jobs.

She and a large group of other migrants were on a bus bound for the Riverland to grape pick about 2 weeks after arrival.

She said they were housed in lined iron sheds with concrete floors and given bunks to sleep on.

It was stinking hot and unpleasant but said it didn't occur to any of them that this was in anyway not normal or unacceptable.

I'm sure if they did that now it would be considered inhumane :confused:.
Only if you are a sook.

I'm sure the refugees wouldn't be; they are mostly appreciative.

It's the bleeding hearts crew that are.

We just can't live in a world of discomfort anymore...we have rights, you know. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back