The Reno;Priceless experience.

Two weeks ago it was revealed that my mother/father in law were leaving their very rundown rented house and shifting to a very run down property on the lake which by the way they owned but due to recieving $80/week rent and paying $40 /week for where they were the $40 was a bonus as they are on a pension.
With neither very healthy and able to fix the other property to a respectable state i suggested to my wife we spend some $$$ and bring it up to scratch.
My wife has 4 other sisters with husbands and the thought of approaching them for some contributions didnt seem right to me(i dont think they could afford to)so we went ahead and spent $2600 and with all their help,(sanded,painted,tiled, demolished,layed vinyl,laminated,carpeted,new taps,bath tub,kitchen handles,door,vanity,mirrored,)basically AUCTION SQUADDED the place over 4 days from friday morn.
The experience far outweighed the personal cost to us.
To say her mum nearly collapsed is an understatement.(she wasnt allowed to watch at all and was kept in the dark)
Before this i had basically no exp in Renos and i just wanted to say that i couldnt believe how enjoyable it was.Ive learnt lots of new skills that i didnt know i had in me and it was all pretty much common sense.Im fairly fussy so just followed on with that.Also couldnt believe how far the money went.
Anyway just wanted to share my experience with you all and say to anyone interested in Renos if you get a chance to do one or even help with one(for no monetary reward) get in there and have a go,it will be invaluable in the long run.

Darren

This thread has reminded me of a conversation I had with someone yesterday...

I was showing another agent this forum, and he was aghast at the information in here...

But then he said, "Where do you list your houses for sale?"...

So I showed him Cav Empt and tried to explain how it works...

Then he asked, "But how do you make money out of this forum"...

I said, I don't, that's not what we are here for. This is a forum for learning... We learn from each other through discussing ideas.

He was very confused. But slowly he understood why we were here. I was very proud to be able to show it to him and to help him to understand why we are here :)

(I have to say that this gentleman is over 60, and is not computer literate... But a very nice person, he just didn't understand what the site was about...)

asy :D

On another forum, I gave some advice (in MS Word) which saved a person a week's work.

Her friends and family could not believe that people helped out in forums like that (and like this) for free.

She was a Boston person- but just happened to have been coming to Australia a few weeks after. I did not feel it beneath my principles to accept a beer- the only physical reward I've had for advice given.

www.wopr.com/lounge

for queries related to MS products- Office, VB, Windows, Outlook... plus a couple of lighter ones.

and a quite active puzzles forum (I've refrained from posting puzzles from that one into here).

I moderate the .NET, VB/VBA and Cooking. Untl last week, I also did Excel and Word, but that was just getting too much.

Originally posted by geoffw
www.wopr.com/lounge

for queries related to MS products- Office, VB, Windows, Outlook... plus a couple of lighter ones.

and a quite active puzzles forum (I've refrained from posting puzzles from that one into here).

I moderate the .NET, VB/VBA and Cooking. Untl last week, I also did Excel and Word, but that was just getting too much.

PUZZLES!!!! - You've been holding out on us Geoffw !

GD&R
Luke

Darren,

That was a really nice thing that you did. The 'feel good' will keep you on a high for weeks.

Always remember..what goes around, comes around. Something nice is headed your way :)

Darren,

Good for you, and your wife's family. It is an experience none of you will forget and it will give you warmth just thinking about it.

That's the nice thing about doing voluntary work. Financial rewards aren't the only thing in life worth crowing about. If we want to be happier people on the inside, we should strive to do for others without expectation of reciprocation.

I takes my hat off to you :)

Oh, and one thing you overlooked...

Every time you visit your mother-in-law you will smile and so will she...

Not many men say that... hehe

asy :D

Back