The Rolls-Royce and the Cadillac

A

Anonymous

Guest
From: Anonymous


Re: Attitudes.

1) If a pom in the UK sees a Rolls-Royce, he says to himself: 'come the revolution (or whatever), you won't have that any more'. (The more bitter of them might even run a coin across the paintwork).

2) If an American in the USA sees a Cadillac, he says to himself: 'one day, I'm gonna git me one of those, and maybe I'll git me two of them'.

What do the learned Forumites think is the attitude to wealth in Australia?

(As you can see, I have too much time on my hands today...)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sim

Administrator
Reply: 1
From: Sim' Hampel


If an Aussie in Australia sees a new Falcon, he says to himself "nice shape, but it'd never come close to a Commodore on the mountain"

?? ;-)

 
Last edited:
Reply: 2
From: Owen .


I think the Aussie "Tall Poppy" syndrome is alive and kicking but it's only a public persona ie "Look at that rich bastard in the Porsche!"

Privately, I think most are envious and given half a chance would be driving the same thing. Only a small proportion are actually doing anything about achieving their dream though.

I live in Sydney and I think the pursuit of that dream is a bit more prevalent here as there are more rich people flaunting their wealth. When it's shoved in your face it either drives you forward or drives you away.

Owen

"Gambling promises the poor what property performs for the rich – something for nothing"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 2.1
From: Jakk Bass - The SLUM LORD


G'Day All

all I can say is

"Winners are Grinners...and the rest can please themselves"

regards
Jakk
still the SLUM LORD
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 2.2
From: GoAnna !


I think most in Australia would see the wealthy as "lucky" or having an unfair advantage.

As a nation we dislike people who inherit wealth, or people who gain it via large corporate bonuses. We prefer it if people gain wealth via becoming a sports hero, movie star or winning tattslotto.

Most choose not to become wealthy because it will make them one of those "rich bastards" and because it requires a change of thinking and habit.

So they would prefer to say "It's all right for him" or "You're so lucky" as this allows them to go on envying and resenting without being challenged to change.

GoAnna !
"Few things are harder to put up with than a good example."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 2.2.1
From: Duncan M


> Most choose not to become wealthy because it will make them
> one of those "rich bastards" and because it requires a change
> of thinking and habit.

I think you're wrong..

Some ppl might SAY they CHOOSE not to be rich often using the familiar
catchcry of the famous Aussie Battler (read.. Aussie Loser) "Money isnt
everything" in a vain attempt to convince those around them and even
themselves that they aren't insanely jealous of someone who has oodles of
cash.

You're kinda right on the second count that another reason they might
'choose' not to be rich is that it takes a change of thinking, rather they
see that becoming rich involves hardwork, and with so much quality
television viewing available there's just not enough time available to do
that hard work..



Duncan.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sim

Administrator
Reply: 2.2.1.1
From: Sim' Hampel


On 7/4/02 1:54:44 PM, Duncan M wrote:
>
>with so
>much quality
>television viewing available
>there's just not enough time
>available to do
>that hard work..

I don't work on my investments and such while Buffy or Angel is on. Guilty as charged.

 
Last edited:
Reply: 2.2.1.1.1
From: Owen .


People think that when I am watching 'Enterprise' that it's a small business show....


Owen

"Gambling promises the poor what property performs for the rich – something for nothing"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 2.2.1.1.1.1
From: Felicity W.


If there's one thing I REALLY hate, it's being told how LUCKY we are.
Forget all the scrimping and saving, the juggling act to keep all the balls in the air, the overtime, the extra jobs... you get the picture!
We are where we are today because we were willing to do that bit extra, and we'll be further ahead in the future because we keep doing it.
I really do HATE being told I'm lucky.
Keep smiling
Felicity :cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sim

Administrator
Reply: 2.2.1.1.1.1.1
From: Sim' Hampel


I'm with you there Felicity.

There was a great quote that someone posted once (not sure who said it), something about "it seems the harder I work, the luckier I become"... I like that.

 
Last edited:
Reply: 2.2.1.1.1.1.1.1
From: DB Bear


I have to disagree with the notion of the rich ones being the ones with the Rolls and the Cadillacs. It seems to me that the wannabes drive around in the flashy cars with the flashy jewellery etc but the fair dinkum rich ones are less ostentatious about it. I've met a few rich people through previous employment and they don't look that flash. The idea of the rich driving in the fancy cars and having the fancy jewellery and sipping the umbrella drinks on the deserted island all day is actually a Hollywood concept.

Deb
 
Last edited by a moderator:
W

WebBoard

Guest
Reply: 3.1
From: H T


yeah i think aussie's hate anyone who shows off his/her wealth, for example if im driving my llovvely vh commodore that looks like it should be in the tip, i notice how polite the average joe is, like they wont hesitate to let me drive in to a heavy lane of traffic. As soon as i drive my wife's old but expensive looking merc, the attitude is noticably different.
I think they make ajudgement like "oh the poor old fella, looks like he's battling for a quid" when they see me in a commodore, despite the fact that i could probably buy and sell them a couple of times over.
as much as i hate to admit it, that "i can do that" atttitude of the septics is one big reason why they are the power house of the world..

HT
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sim

Administrator
Reply: 3.1.1
From: Sim' Hampel


On 7/4/02 4:42:00 PM, H T wrote:
>
>as much as i hate to admit it,
>that "i can do that" atttitude
>of the septics is one big
>reason why they are the power
>house of the world..

That, and a lot of creative accounting huh ? ;-)

 
Last edited:
W

WebBoard

Guest
Reply: 3.1.1.1
From: H T


fair point sim but think how innovative the yanks in other areas like medical research, IT dev. etc. think of all the billions of asian's, ... when have they come up with just one original idea thats been revolutionary?
all they do is copy..badly and aspire to capitalism.r>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
W

WebBoard

Guest
Reply: 2.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1
From: Chris G


Hi peoples,

Sorry but I have to disagree with the idea of someone who drives a "flashy" car or has nice jewellery etc being considered a "wannabe" or to be "showing off".

There ARE a lot of people who drive a mercedes (actually probably more in the HSV or low range merc, bmw etc range) or whatever purely because they want to be seen as rich (when they may not even own the valve caps..:p).

Having said that there seems to be a bit of a general perception (probably not by forum members)that to drive anything other than a 10yr old Commodore is "showing off", being a "wannabe" or simply being wasteful when I see it as merely enjoying the fruits of your efforts. There is little purpose in amassing wealth if you are not allowed to enjoy some of it along the way...:p

Cheers
Chris

PS: I DO let drivers of "flashy" cars into the lane infront of me....just so I can have a perve..:p
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 4
From: Michael G


Hi,

I've personally been told its wrong to minimise tax by co-workers, or that its unfair (though the fact they have the same opportunities if they wanted to spend as much time learning as I do).

I'd say if an Australian saw a Monaro they'd wonder who the owner scammed/cheated to get that?

Michael G
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 4.1
From: Dale Gatherum-Goss


Hi

I have a client who is a bank manager and drives a new Audi - he loves the car but hates the reactions from people . . . mainly because he is Aboriginal and they all think he must have stolen it or something!!

True story.

Dale
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 5
From: Dale Gatherum-Goss


Hi

With a topic like this, I just had to tell you this joke and I apologise if it offends anyone but it is risque . . .

Three little boys were sitting on the curb and one says:

"when I grow up I am going to sell drugs"

Yeah, said the other two, why?

"so I can buy a Cadillac like that one there"

Mmmmm, said the other two.

Then, one of the other boys said:

"when I grow up, I'm going to rob banks"

Yeah, said the other two, why?

"so I can buy a Rolls Royce like that one over there"

Mmmmm, said the other two.

Finally, the last little boy said:

"When I grow up, I'm gonna give guys blow jobs"

What!!!! Said the other two boys. Why you gonna do that???

"Well, said the little boy, my sister does that and she owns both those car"

The moral: not everything is worth the price.

Have fun and I'm sorry if I offended.

Dale
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 5.1
From: Felicity W.


Following on to an earlier comment about driving old cars....
I have mostly driven cars that fall into the "classics" (ie 25+ years old) and apart from other drivers having a tendency to get stroppy if I'm going past them, have very little trouble.
I get into my hubby's company car, and I'm astounded how many close calls I experience.
My conclusion - they take one look at my beaten up old car and just assume I don't have insurance, so stay out of my way.
Keep smiling
Felicity :cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top