The secret to my success

Ok Getting back to See Changes' initial post - he is announcing he has three secrets. What he's really saying is he has a system / methodology he believes is reliable for his purpose, and it consists of three distinct parts. Armed with this system, he believes he can make solid decisions in just about any circumstance. Much like the blackjack player who knows never to split 4s, 5s or 10s....SC's system is the guiding beacon by which he must abide. And it works for him.
He gives clues as to the three elements :
1. The unique data source. Is it a subscription service such RP Data ? Is it freely available statistical data from government websites ? Or is some perverse data being observed / collected from SS itself ? We just gots to know. Keep guessing folks - he might give this part up under duress ?
2. Optical Input device. I'll guess this is some sort of you-beaut Optical Scanner used to organise masses of raw data from this unique data source. It helps him sort the wheat from the chaff to identify which regions / suburbs are ripe for an increase in property values. He has deduced parts of Logan to be one such example in times gone by, and has acted accordingly.
3. The proprietary software is his own concoction, and its not for sale.He's just saying he's an analytical type of guy, that has devised a system that meets his parameters and he has acted deliberately on its findings with solid success. No psycho-babble / mantras, no luck, he's just suggesting becoming systemised is all. Am I getting warm SC ?

Silly me. I thought SC has deleted his post mentioning these 3 secrets.

If a datasource needs OCR to read it, it is printed one. It could be as simple as the lists in the PI magazines. If so, the real secret is the software or how he analyse trends such as vacancy rates, yields...

Thread reminds me of lost... Haha nah don't mind it. People need to think for themselves. Need to work out what works for you, there is no point finding out the key is to develop property if you don't have the time or means for it. You need to find what works for you and repeat as often as possible. The purchasing in a rising market helps, purchasing whenever you can afford to the best of your ability works (this could mean so many different things to different people)

I wonder if See_Change is taking the same approach as the book Think and Grow Rich - continually refer to a secret which the reader needs to discover but never actually spell out what the secret is?

That way each reader can discover, or make up, their own secret. Either that or end up reading the book a lot of times trying to discover the secret.

I'll stake my 2 cents that this is what we'll see if/when See_Change does his big reveal.

E.

E,
Can't wait for this one, spinner come in:)

Perhaps someone won lotto and that's the secret, who knows, all I can say is its getting bigger than Ben Hur:eek:

1. Start early.
2. Buy good quality property whenever you're able.
3. Hold onto it for a long time.

Not a very sexy strategy and it won't get you there very quickly, but it can work really well if you buy well.

agreed and it's a double edged sword... property investment is not so much about property, it's primarily about deflation of debts that you have to others, and of course the inevitable fact that in a growing city a specific property will outstrip inflation. what starts as a median property can become a blue chip

That's probably a pretty good bet WM. I remember a post by see change where he mentioned being overly analytical in the past and these days using not much more than a combination of Somersoft talk and realestate.com.au 10 year trend graphs.

As an aside Myf, shouldn't you update your byline to at least P plates by now? :p

Hard work can be important , but it has to have direction behind it . I don't think that the " just do it " attitude on it's own works . It still has to have focus and direction.

Cliff
No I guess "Attitude" alone will not get you there,Some for many years now have used this site as a "Barometer" on investing,a few had it right when different upswings happened some even prior too the "GFC"..

A Old Greek Man told me a long time ago when working on one of his many properties in New-Farm,You can walk down the street and see nothing or see everything just depends on how open your mind and eyes are,but that's no Secret,all anyone has to do is read,..

BTW,The book the secret,goes back a long way if you trace the text model back into the 17th century same idea just different timeframe and diet..

Last edited:
I'm betting
1. Data source is Somersoft
2. A certain Optical Input Device is a pair of eyes
3. The proprietary software is his brain

KISS ;)

And the Winner is ........ :D

Every thing I've learnt about property investing is on somersoft . I just had to read it . By using my brain , I got to stage where I knew what to do without other people having to tell me . I listened to all the experts but didn't follow any of them . Everyone is different . Knowing your personal strengths and weaknesses you will develop a system ( rules ) that works for you .

I do have rules that I use that I will post in the near future , but I developed those by using the above. As this post shows , many people use different rules to get where they want , but if you read their stories ( Keith and Rixter are good examples ) they have taken ideas from others and used them in their own way to achieve what they wanted .

Cliff

And the Winner is ........ :D

Every thing I've learnt about property investing is on somersoft . I just had to read it . By using my brain , I got to stage where I knew what to do without other people having to tell me . I listened to all the experts but didn't follow any of them . Everyone is different . Knowing your personal strengths and weaknesses you will develop a system ( rules ) that works for you .

I do have rules that I use that I will post in the near future , but I developed those by using the above. As this post shows , many people use different rules to get where they want , but if you read their stories ( Keith and Rixter are good examples ) they have taken ideas from others and used them in their own way to achieve what they wanted .

Cliff

Im 26 and only a few years into my property investing plan. a lot of friends my age will be asking me questions about wanting to invest in property. i don't know how many of them actually listen but every time i say start with somersoft.

To me somersoft feels like going to an exam and having all the answers in front of you when everybody else dosn't. instead of having 1 or 2 mentors (some people are lucky to have that), here on somersoft I'm surrounded by successful people who have all achieved success in different ways. its great :)

Im 26 and only a few years into my property investing plan. a lot of friends my age will be asking me questions about wanting to invest in property. i don't know how many of them actually listen but every time i say start with somersoft.

To me somersoft feels like going to an exam and having all the answers in front of you when everybody else dosn't. instead of having 1 or 2 mentors (some people are lucky to have that), here on somersoft I'm surrounded by successful people who have all achieved success in different ways. its great :)

Blair, kudos to you, I get some young investors PM me asking for advice, I tell them to view some of your posts because you are doing some great stuff. I don't many your age developing/building 4 unit site in Melb:)

Good for you

Good points . Depends whether you want to get in before anything happens or as things are starting to happen . Late last year in Brisbane , there weren't many buyers where we were looking and , from talking to agents in Logan that we knew , no buyers in Logan so you could low ball .

Now there are more buyers , the market has started to move so you're unlikely to pick up bargains and if you want to buy at the bottom end of Logan , you'll have a lot of competition , but it hasn't moved much and to the best of my knowledge the bottom end in Logan is still below its peak from the last cycle .

To me it looks as though it's at the place it was when we started investing in the last cycle .

The fact that everyone here is talking about investing in Brisbane doesn't mean it's too late . If everyone was talking about their 50 % profits ( as they are in sydney ) then I'd be looking elsewhere .

If you already had good exposure in Brisbane and wanted to diversify , then maybe elsewhere .

If you know Brisbane , have already bought there and want more exposure there ........

Cliff
Devan, I'll add my experiences with Brisbane Southside. Mixed bag!
It's not too late to invest in Brisbane, still opportunities. In past year One of my properties is up about $50,000, one down about $20,000, I just saw an unreal deceased estate sell for a very reasonable price 10k's from city.

Last edited:

Very good Cliff ! I like the way you set this up and let it unfold.

The "secret" is also excellent and everyone can use it.

I'm a girl who owns 4 properties. I know many people who have made money in property many different ways. I judge success by if someone can retire comfortably with a passive income. Ultimately, you want to pay down debt. I would be able to buy more property if my income was bigger. I can't be an executive so I just got a second job. Obviously, the quicker I get deposits together the better. You make money by time & luck, buying in areas that are the ugly ducklings and to those interested, praying ;-)

200 replies and 10,000 views in one week ....

:eek:

not my aim , but it shows the power of " marketing " , in this case with a "catchy" title

Cliff

Back