The Story of Baa the Sheep - Pets vs the Law

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/s...-costs-sheep-owner-200000-20130627-2ozrh.html

If someone is judged by how they treat animals, then Vu Ho deserves a lofty place for his fondness for his pet sheep, Baa.

But the price of that friendship is now about $200,000 after Mr Ho lost a court appeal against a council order that he remove the 16-year-old sheep from his Springvale property.

The Court of Appeal ? the highest court in Victoria ? on Thursday upheld a Supreme Court decision that the City of Greater Dandenong was entitled to order Mr Ho remove Baa because the animal was livestock and it was inappropriate she was kept on a suburban block.

The Court of Appeal also ordered that Mr Ho pay the council's legal costs.
Advertisement

He has been resisting the council's orders for two years and appealed against last year's loss in the Supreme Court on the grounds the council did not have the power to make laws concerning the keeping of animals.

Far from give up his fight, the Vietnamese refugee, who taught himself the law because no legal firm would help him, is now considering another appeal, this time to the High Court in Canberra.

"Last year, in May, I said I have to fight to defend the Australian value of justice," he said outside court.

"I have lost in the second round but we still have another one.

"This is a matter of justice, it's not a matter of money. My sheep cost me only $60, it doesn't matter."

Mr Ho said he would refuse to let council officers remove his pet of 13 years, and vowed to "fight to the end" because of the principle at stake.

"It doesn't matter to me. Before I came to Australia I risked my life as a refugee. It's nothing. If we lose, you lose money."

On how much money the fight could end up costing him, he was sheepish.

"Let me see. We never know in the future," he said.

City of Greater Dandenong mayor Angela Long said the council was disappointed Mr Ho had taken his fight to the courts, as ratepayers should not bear the cost of responding to unnecessary legal action.

"The council has shown its concern for Baa the sheep and for Mr Ho's future welfare through offering, on numerous occasions, to help find a suitable location for Baa the sheep and suggesting other actions which would not place Mr Ho's future in such financial jeopardy," she said.

Cr Long said the council's laws were designed to protect public amenity and were consistent with others across the state, designed to ensure livestock such as sheep, goats and cattle had sufficient space to graze.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/s...wner-200000-20130627-2ozrh.html#ixzz2nY9eAPS1

If this were me, I would not let the council ram their rules and regulations down my throat like that. What would ewe do?

That reminds me that the US national anthem is about a sheep barbecue in an Indian teepee.

Sheep barbecue? "O'er the ram parts we watched".

Indian teepee? "The home of the brave".

One would have to pity the Man by the photo of his pet and the way the side of the house is falling apart,sounds like something out of a Aesop's-Fable,if it was in the USA he would be down the local gun dealer..

Dear Council,thanks for mutton, you are a Woolly Bully ;)

One would have to pity the Man by the photo of his pet and the way the side of the house is falling apart
He's a Sheepskate

Council have a pet peeve , so if you can't bleat them, join them

Fleece Navidad

Back