The Supercar Club

Hi there,

I found this site quite interesting:

http://www.supercarclub.com.au/index.php/how-it-works

Do car enthusiasts here think it may be cost-effective?

As opposed to for instance renting a car from a place like this:

http://melbourne.sportscarrentalson...=Melbourne&sp=&so=&bodytype=&sch_allsubct=yes

I think it may be more cost-effective if you use the ''Monaco'' membership (as opposed to the entry level ''Bathurst'' membership) as your $ value per point is cheaper (ie. total annual membership cost divided by points available for that membership), and if you're driving the more expensive cars eg. Ferrari's, Lambo's...

Thanks.

Hi Jit,

It comes down a lot to objectives - why do you want to drive them?

For me, I'd love to drive a fast car to see what the limits are - on a racetrack.... in so saying I would much rather prefer to get my backside into an open wheeler than a road registered thing.

Having said that, I have had as much fun driving a "bad" car on a track as a half decent one - i.e. you can need a lot more skill trying to keep an el cheapo Korean thing on the track than a euro sprots car.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Jit,

It comes down a lot to objectives - why do you want to drive them?

For me, I'd love to drive a fast car to see what the limits are - on a racetrack.... in so saying I would much rather prefer to get my backside into an open wheeler than a road registered thing.

Having said that, I have had as much fun driving a "bad" car on a track as a half decent one - i.e. you can need a lot more skill trying to keep an el cheapo Korean thing on the track than a euro sprots car.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Ill drive a Ferrari F430 and you a Hyundai Getz... bring it on :D

On other side of things, its my dream to one day own a Ferrari or a Lambo thanks to my IPs and other investments. Im nearly 30 soon, but Id love to be able to afford an exotic car by the time I am 40. Can this be done with IPs?

Ill drive a Ferrari F430 and you a Hyundai Getz... bring it on :D

You're on - let's make sure its an autocross track to make it even more fun :D

Actually, I've been on the track in a little bimmer against some Ferrari owners.

Observation: most of them power down the straight and disappear off into the distance, only for me to nearly stack into them at the next corner as they pussyfoot there machine around.... Now Porsche owners on the other hand - man, I swear 1 guy on a 930 lapped me 10 times in the time I could do one lap.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

i kept up with a great many number of "ferraris" and "porsches" in my 12A powered Datto 1200...

in fact, i was even outbraking them too. geez that was a fun car.

These clubs take all the fun out of owning an exotic car:

- The crazy insurance costs
- The astronimical cost of service let alone a repair
- The "sorry, that part is not available at the moment in Australia, we can fly one in, it will be here in 2 weeks and cost you $2K plus labour."
- The "I can't go on holidays and leave the car in the garrage"

These clubs take all the fun out of owning an exotic car:

- The crazy insurance costs
the insanely stupid i-could-buy-a-house-for-that-much costs.
- The astronimical cost of service let alone a repair
there ain't no "DIY" option - even the oil for a Modena 360 has to come from Ferrari, Shell dont stock it- even thought they make it.
- The "sorry, that part is not available at the moment in Australia, we can fly one in, it will be here in 2 weeks and cost you $2K plus labour."
try 6 weeks ex-italy with 100% prepayment and hope-to-god it's the right part number when it arrives.
- The "I can't go on holidays and leave the car in the garrage"
that's 'cause you suck.

and so on and so forth.

On other side of things, its my dream to one day own a Ferrari or a Lambo thanks to my IPs and other investments. Im nearly 30 soon, but Id love to be able to afford an exotic car by the time I am 40. Can this be done with IPs?

Yes, it can. Also helps if you live overseas where the cars are 25% of the cost of buying in OZ.:)

yes you would be better served to spend enough time OS to be non-resident tax payer in Oz and have your cool Lambo or whatever over there. Aussie is tall poppy syndrome so anythign more than a falcon is considered unjustly rich. just come out here for the summers.

Can you import Ferrari's, Lamborghini's etc... to Australia??

Also, I'm starting to think that forming a ''car syndicate'' with say 4 other people you know, may be a better way to own one of these cars.

A bit like boat syndicates or for holiday homes shared between families.

Eg. buying a second-hand Ferrari 360 Modena for say 200k, so 50 k cash input per person.

Or each person may put in say 25k cash and borrow the other 25k.

And each owner gets use of the car for 13 weeks a year, according to some sort of flexible schedule, and with certain guidelines on the use of the car.

These aren't exactly cars you drive to do the groceries, so that's a lot of potential drive time per owner.

You split the annual rego/insurance/servicing between the 4 owners.

I think it would be far more cost-effective than these ''supercar clubs'' or short-term car rentals, and with more certainty of getting the car when you need it.

Although, you would only have the one car.

One recent model Ferrari or Lamborghini is enough for me though!

I think I could afford to do this today... just need to find 3 other willing participants in the scheme.

Last edited:

Also, I'm starting to think that forming a ''car syndicate'' with say 4 other people you know, may be a better way to own one of these cars.

A bit like boat syndicates or for holiday homes shared between families.

Eg. buying a second-hand Ferrari 360 Modena for say 200k, so 50 k cash input per person.

Or each person may put in say 25k cash and borrow the other 25k.

And each owner gets use of the car for 13 weeks a year, according to some sort of flexible schedule, and with certain guidelines on the use of the car.

These aren't exactly cars you drive to do the groceries, so that's a lot of potential drive time per owner.

You split the annual rego/insurance/servicing between the 4 owners.

I think it would be far more cost-effective than these ''supercar clubs'' or short-term car rentals, and with more certainty of getting the car when you need it.

Although, you would only have the one car.

One recent model Ferrari or Lamborghini is enough for me though!

I think I could afford to do this today... just need to find 3 other willing participants in the scheme.

I dont think I could share the car with other people, especially if you are one of the people that has to foot the bill...

Some things in life are not for sharing, your wife/GF, your tool box and your car. :)

I think I might just save up and invest my cash and hope one day to pay for it and enjoy it alone.

i kept up with a great many number of "ferraris" and "porsches" in my 12A powered Datto 1200...

in fact, i was even outbraking them too. geez that was a fun car.

Wow, I did some really mean things to my 1200's (in my youth) but adding a 12A is really cool. Not sure about the out braking....

There are several options for personally importing a car to Australia, and they range from being extremely difficult through to being nigh-on impossible. It makes setting up a SMSF look like a day in the park.

The easiest option is if you have genuinely lived overseas for 12 months and owned a car for that time. You can then take that car back to Australia tax free and with no restrictions other than making it roadworthy.

Contrary to popular opinion, the taxes on importing cars aren't prohibitive in the slightest, if you're importing something that costs say about $40k overseas, it's the rules that stop you.

I was looking at buying a Porsche 911 in the UK for about 22k pounds. Back 2 months ago that worked out to be less than A$40k. The same car here would cost $110k-130k. However, even though the GST and import duty on such a car would have only added about $10k to the total cost and transport about $4k, the rules prohibit you from personally importing such a car, unless you've genuinely owned and used it overseas for the past 12 months.

It's almost enough to make me liveback in the UK for a year...almost, but not quite. However, if I was posted back in the UK, I'd definitely buy a car there and hold it for a year before shipping it over.

Back