the unbelievable gall of some ex-tenants

I'm not sure what the process is but please ask your PM to have them registered as bad tenants who damage properties on whatever tenant databases are available.

This will ensure that the next landlord is aware of the problem and also provide at least some punishment - as it seems they wont get any from the system.

I wouldn't expect too much from the judge either. Going on what I've read on here from previous people's experience, the judge is no help at all sometimes.

What a pain, though at least you dont have to pay airfares for them to attend couort (what the...?)!!!!!

Good luck

TB

Lizzie, does Landlords Insurance come into play here? We had a tenant skip the country and head to Texas USA after owing 3 businesses plus us money for outstanding debts. Insurance came through (albeit with Excess taken into account!:().

Are you covered in this respect?

have just heard that one of our tenants has decided to stop paying rent as of 11 december. Seems as landlords we should expect to not receive any rent for the month or so of xmas... we are lifestyle providers after all

Hi there
just heard that one of our tenants who is overdue with paying the rent has a party this weekend - priorities are up the creek!
thanks

I'm glad I got lucky…. 1st tenant found by the PM, , about 3 weeks of advertising in early '04.. Still there with only 2 late rent paymets, both times called PM beforehand & fixed before next rent…

Your line about the sick child & karma can sound a bit harsh when you (I) read it...

Obviously we need to take care in how we choose the right tenants I guess...

does Landlords Insurance come into play here? Are you covered in this respect?

insurance company did an assessment and declared it poor housekeeping rather than malicious damage so they wouldn't pay ... which is true i guess. i can appeal but i really want the ex tenants to pay!

Ugh. Ask your PM to list them on TICA right away so they won't get another rental until they pay up. I would be letting them know they are on TICA as well and that their names won't be removed until they pay the costs in full.

Once they pay you for the damage then they can be removed from TICA but if I was a PM I wouldn't be giving out any glowing references for them.

I was curious.When a tenant gets into arrears, does the PM still get paid from the client? If so, is it now, or after you are able to collect from the tenant.

tribunal yesterday - apparently every ruling that day went in favour of the tenant.

they have to pay a measley $2,200 - $100 each above the bond! ah well, just as well i'm over being frustrated and can put it all down to the cost of doing business. maybe i should've taken the $2,900 initially offered, but i expected better logic from the magistrate. the problem is - the tenants won't learn from this. they'll be all smary and arrogant with "victory" and go away thinking they can do it again.

but i did get some revenge - 3 of the 4 obviously didn't get their mail forwarded so i'm sure they'll get a bad credit rating from telstra, the gas company, the comm bank etc ... as, for the last 3 months, all these envelopes have been put in the bin unopened.

at least $2,200 is better than nothing - and having to pay for the priviledge of them attending - like kathyrnd did!

tribunal yesterday - apparently every ruling that day went in favour of the tenant.

they have to pay a measley $2,200 - $100 each above the bond! ah well, just as well i'm over being frustrated and can put it all down to the cost of doing business. maybe i should've taken the $2,900 initially offered, but i expected better logic from the magistrate. the problem is - the tenants won't learn from this. they'll be all smary and arrogant with "victory" and go away thinking they can do it again.

but i did get some revenge - 3 of the 4 obviously didn't get their mail forwarded so i'm sure they'll get a bad credit rating from telstra, the gas company, the comm bank etc ... as, for the last 3 months, all these envelopes have been put in the bin unopened.

at least $2,200 is better than nothing - and having to pay for the priviledge of them attending - like kathyrnd did!

However, we are stretching the payments over 12 months. Make them wait , just like they made us wait for our rent.

I'm not sure who is worse...the tenants or the tribunal

I'm sorry for you Lizzie....and completely underwhelmed....as you know my faith in ressy tribunals supporting LL's is below low. :(

ah well, just as well i'm over being frustrated and can put it all down to the cost of doing business.

Ok...most people won't touch this Lizzie....but can I ask if the time and filth and stress and money being forked out being adequately compensated ?? :(

at least $2,200 is better than nothing

True - but what they consciously did to your house should not be allowed to slip past with just that. :(

Good wishes to find some decent tenants who shall treat your asset with more respect. Big mobs of good karma vibes to you gal. :(

....but can I ask if the time and filth and stress and money being forked out being adequately compensated ?? (

of course not ... but after 8 years in this game (and dealing with hubby's ex!!), not much stresses me. once i've had the intial vent, i am very good at filing frustrating items at the back of my mind.

i am also a great believer in what comes around goes around - and that success is the best form of revenge. getting stressed does nothing to contribute to either of those adages.

anyhow - lots happy news this week. expecting my approved 4 townhouse plans out of council unaposed and unconditional - planning officer let it slip that he'd email the consent thru to me once he's finished his report.

we've solved the shadowing problems for another rebuild that i'll sell da approved once it's thru council.

the sale fell thru on my big loss maker, but there is a queue lined up behind wanting to view the property - so i'm being arrogantly confident that it will sell for more than the first offer and that good karma is coming in my direction.

i've also made a decision regarding the losses trapped in the trust - will sell all the properties in that trust, will make a little profit with no cg to pay (due to losses - and it will not pay out all the losses, but as a good portion is depreciation i'm not to worried). will end up with a mere $140k mortgage against our $1.2mil ppor for the trouble. our cashflow will be significantly improved and i'll start looking for the next development site.

only problem is - i've already found the next site. fortunately it is overpriced so hopefully will sit there for a while, while i cash up, and can make a reasonable offer ...

now - where did i put those scratchies ....

Last edited:
Back