"The Week That Was: 10-16/11, 1999"

Hi All,

Finally, another big week of posts (of course, not by today's standards). A new record for number of threads at 8, and an equal record of total posts at 25. This last figure was helped by Les' contribution of 7! Were you just a little addicted, Les? The big number of threads was due to some of the newbie "lookers" daring to ask a question. Some of them hung around for a while but didn't get as hooked as Les.

Topics included: Purchasing as an Individual v Company or Trust, Landlords Insurance, Next IP, Investors Club, Commercial v Residential (No Reply), House v Unit.

Quotable Quotes:

From Les: "And, of course, negative cashflows are handy when you are on a high income, but so are nights when you sleep well - it's a trade-off, and a very individual thing."

From Les: "Crikey - all the tycoons are hitting the forum on the same day."

From Les: "You mentioned redundancy (ain't it great - I've been there, too)."

From Les: "The whole Real Estate investment game is quite complex, isn't it. There are so many options, probably 95% of which I'm not even aware !!!"

From Les: "Your comment re relatively cheaper properties puts me back in "Brisbane" mode."

From Les: "I think your Bank (or lender) is being very HUNGRY!"

From Les: "I recommend "Don't give them another cent!!!!!!" Tell them to take a running jump."

From Les: "And I often mention Tax deductions - it may sometimes sound like I'm advocating for the TAX OFFICE to pay us. But, in reality, they are simply giving us back OUR OWN MONEY that we have OVERPAID, thus allowing us to pay for losses in Before Tax dollars."

From Les: "One other thing, please turn off Caps Lock on your keyboard when entering an article. Capital letters are considered to be SHOUTING. ;^)."

Me again: I'm not often left speechless but what CAN I say? Except you crack me up, Les. I laugh everytime I read these quotes. I hope you'll entertain us more for years to come. BTW, how many options are you aware of now?

URL's:

http://www.investclub.com.au

Give me a moment to compose myself to announce this week's Classic Post. (Pause) That's better! Well, again it was a tough choice between Les, Les and Les. But as he was the only one who had the balls to answer this question from TH, my gong goes to LES. Sorry, for shouting. BTW, please don't use forum names like TH. The find text function stops at every word that contains TH. And you know how many of THose THere are, right?

Here's TH's question:

WHICH SHOULD BE CONSIDERED TAKING NOTE OF FUTURE VALUE INCREASES ETC A 250K 20YR GOOD CONDITION UNIT AT A BEACH SUBURB OR A 250K NEW HOUSE AT THE WESTERN SUBURBS RENTS APPROX THE SAME

Me again: How did you understand what this person was saying, Les? Don't worry about spelling, TW. At least I can make out what you're saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

G'day Mike et al,

Yes, I was a wee bit addicted at that time, wasn't I? I'd spent nearly 12 months reading, doing a seminar or two, and, by that date, I'd actually closed on my first 2 IP's. So, you could say I was enthused ...
(which probably had me shouting a bit too ;^)

But, yes, the forum was a chance to share thoughts with people with a common interest - and I guess I got hooked. What a great way to go ....

The really good thing though, is that it has allowed me to meet up with a number of you - thanks to GeeCee's original "lunch" at the Rocks. And others (TW, Rob & Tracey, Brent H, etc.) have taken up the mantle, and the whole thing now just "rocks" !!! I hope to meet up with a whole bunch more of you at the Rocks in May, too. Our own "secret squirrel" club meet (see a recently mentioned, but archived, posting .....)

Oh no !! I shouldn't, but I can't help myself - "All together, in the key of C

"Here we go gathering nuts in May..."

Still enjoying your posts Mike - I hope you can get a good, fast link from England ;^) See you at the Rocks, mate

Regards,

Les

Reply: 1.1

Hi Les,

I have to tell you that I think you've been a great sport re some of your previous writings being dredged up as Quotable Quotes. It occurred to me recently, however, that other people may not feel the same way.

When I started TWTW I wanted to create a post that was entertaining and informative. I didn't realize then that some people like yourself or others with a humorous or colourful style would be consistently in the spotlight. Although I have a thick skin like a rhinoceros, but thankfully not a big ar** like one, I shouldn't presume that others will feel comfortable with some of their writings treated that way.

So if anyone doesn't want their writings to be included in Quotable Quotes or Classic Post or both, tell me here or drop me a line at my e-mail address.
Also if anybody has any suggestions to improve the content of TWTW, I'll take that on board too.

Regards, Mike

Reply: 1.1.1

Hi MIke,

I wanna drop you a line, but I cant find you're email address?

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Sorry Everyone,

I did take e-mail "hide" off for that e-mail but it didn't work. So it is: [email protected]

Regards, Mike

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

G'day Mike,

Your quote:-

>> "When I started TWTW I wanted to create a post that was entertaining and informative."

Mike, in my view, you have succeeded - please don't stop now. Your (sometimes slightly wicked) sense of humour is certainly appreciated by this little black duck.

>> "I didn't realize then that some people like yourself or others with a humorous or colourful style would be consistently in the spotlight."

Yeah, as you know it was a pretty small stage in those days - often I went into print (even knowing NOTHING of the subject matter) just so that posters would not feel 'ignored'. Thankfully it's not like that today. Now you can pick from a 'smorgasbord' of posters with a huge range of skills, ideas, encouragement, humour, etc. It's great!!

>> "I shouldn't presume that others will feel comfortable with some of their writings treated that way."

Ah, Mike, this must make you a SNAG!! A sense of humour, and sensitivity too - how can one bloke have SO MUCH TALENT!!!" ;^)

You've got my vote - keep on doing it,

Regards

Les

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

G'day Mike,

Les wrote:
>You've got my vote - keep on doing it

You have my vote, too! I appreciate your humour, too!

Cheers
Apprentice Millionaire
(aka Jacques in the old forum)

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.2

Hi Les,

In my formative years when I was Mike the Tike my mother would call me "sausage" or "pet". Now I am a SNAG! I've discussed this with my shrink and he has advised me to stay away from barbecues for the time being because of my compulsion to throw myself on one.

Regards, Mike

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.2.1

There are worse names to be called than a SNAG...

Although being sensitive and a guy arent necessarily new age ....

Back