"The Week That Was: 31/8-6/9, 1999"

Hi All,

This is for two of my favourite posters, Les and Michael, and anyone else who has a bit of the Old Forum Blues. Due to a human condition that we are apt to suffer from time to time called nostalgia, many millions of dollars have traded hands over the milleniums. Who knows, it may even have propped up whole economies. But for my forum buddies, this trip down memory lane is free to you.

I'm going to attempt to do the nearly impossible and read every post from the inception of the forum. Then I will review a weeks worth in a post called The Week That Was. I'll try and capture the highs and lows and some of the irreverence or the irrelevance. Strap yourselves in, this is going to be a blast.

In the first week beginning, Aug 31, 1999, there were only 4 new posts. A lone voice calling themself EAB was the very first with a post appropriately titled, "Am I Number One?" Where are you now, EAB? EAB's first post was also the longest thread with five replies spanning approx 3 weeks. EAB had to wait 2 days for the first reply. A familiar name amongst the respondents was Les, who is still with us today. Fantastic effort, Les!

EAB also has the dubious honour with his second new post, of submitting a post that never received a single reply. If that has ever happened to you then you know the feeling. Boy, it smarts! Alas, unless he/she changed their handle, EAB's final post was about 6 months later on Feb 27, 2000.

The property game is full of nasty surprises and playing it with a sense of humour will get you through the bad times to the finish line. So my choice for Quotable Quote of the week for its humour is from "Only 3 investors in the whole of OZ" by Chris H 9/5/99.

It goes: "The books sell well, the videos and seminars go well, the forum is deathly quiet. Come on someone must have more questions or comments on property. "I am considering buying a house boat for my family and animals, apart from the large looming flood are there any advantages with this type of purchase?" - Noah. Sorry at my attempt at humour but I keep checking in for a chat about property but to no avail."

Me again: Finally, the Classic Post gong goes to Mark Noonan's reply to this perennial question:

"My wife and I have one rental property at present and are considering buying elsewhere and renting our own home out, any tips/pitfalls?"

I'd like a dollar for each time this question has been asked. See Mark's reply in the attached file. Stay tuned for further installments of The Week That Was.

Regards, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

G'day Mike

How I remember that post, even without needing to go back to read the old forum.

Great to hear you are going to do a "Week That Was". I sure will look forward to the laughs and expletives that will come shining through from those earlier posts. Especially the date when The Wife finds the forum and starts the expletives, um, or should I say colourful posts that she is famous for (or is that infamous for?). hehe....

Cheers
Robert

Reply: 2

Mike,

Fantastic idea, and I admire your fortitude and commitment. Even reading that post brought a smile to my face.

I have been holding off making comment about whether this forum is better than the old one, and I can now say that I preferred the old one.

Interestingly though, I think it's because many posters seemed to have deserted it. I miss the humour, wit and knowledge of people like The Wife. Don't know if it's because of the new forum, or because the quality of the questions and content has diminished.

So, to try and help with the latter, I am going to make an earnest attempt at adding some life to the topics. I am going to try and come up with interesting questions that we all would like answered, and also make a concerted effort to reply to as many postings as possible.

Also, we need some controversy. Something to argue about, something to debate, something to express our views on, something to be passionate about.

Let's bring passion to this forum.

Let's have fun whilst we all learn from each other. Let's drag back those that have deserted this forum. Lets get serious about making money through property. This forum was and still should be one of the best vehicles to learn free information from like-minded investors. We all should make a concerted effort to keep it that way. I'm going to try and do my bit to help.

Great idea Mike, can't wait for the next instalment.

Paul Murphy

Reply: 3

Mike, you have way too much spare time and obviously no social life.

Reminds me of me actually ;-)

Keep up the good work !!

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 4

Congratulations Mike!

I'll be looking forward to your posts!

Cheers
Apprentice Millionaire
(aka Jacques in the old forum)

Reply: 4.1

G'day Mike,

The first few months will be "easy meat" - in my recollection, by about March/April 2000, you'll need to take a week off work to get through a week's worth of postings.

This could turn into a "Life's work" for you ;^)

Regards,

Les

Back