"The Week That Was: 9-15/2, 2000"

Hi There,

Back again with another TWTW, and a very subdued week it was. Only 12 posts but no thread longer than 3 posts. Oh, for a good discussion. It's a relief that we're now getting some good discussions happening on the New Forum.

Topics Included: Quest Apartments, Depreciation, PIA, One IP v Three IP's, Holiday Units.

Quotable Quotes:

From Bill: "Sorry for the delay. My PC had a heart attack and I am only just back on line. Think it will take me a year to catch up on forum news!"

From Stu: "I'd be interested to hear any comments about investing in the Holiday Unit market on the Sunshine Coast."

From Stu: "Well no one seemed to be able to help me but in Jan's blue book I found some of the answers I was looking for."

Me: It's not much fun not getting a response, hey Stu?
When that happens it's good to have a few of Jan's books around to refer to, isn't it?

Classic Post:

Ian's turn to get the gong for his reply to this question from Stu:

"OK Guys, here's one for the collective knowledge base. The Choice: Buy 1 x IP for $450K in Albert Park, Melb. or 3 x IP for $150k each in Mentone, Melb. The rents work out to about 9 - 10% either way. I'm tending towards the Albert park option (1.5 years old v's 3 - 4 years) & fewer headaches. Well, what do you think ?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Mike_,

Sorry for asking such a simple question.
When you post topic such this one - The Week That Was: 9-15/2, 2000 - Do you pull'm out of archive or do you make fresh one each time.
The reason I am asking is that dates are different and it is a bit confusing. Or may be it is something wrong with my computer. Sometime it calls me - Murray, Rolf, Cathy or Mike. Says welcome Peter or something similar. Machine has mind of it's own...

Regards
Serge G.

Reply: 1.1

Hi Sergey,

This series of posts called The Week That Was is a nostalgic trip back to the Old Forum which started on the 31st August, 1999. This forum (the New Forum?) started life on the 1st March, 2001.

Each installment of TWTW looks at a weeks worth of threads from the Old Forum archives. I also include posts that were added to a thread even though it may have been posted months later.

In my last installment of TWTW titled The Week That Was: 9-15/2, 2000, Stu's question started a thread sometime during that week. However, Ian's post is dated 17/2 which is 2 days into the following week. I include it, though, as if it were posted in the same week for simplicity. Practically, it would be time-consuming to track down replies which were posted months apart.

Incidentally, the American software uses the American form of dates which is to put the month before the day, so Ian's post date is February 17 (2/17). The way we express it is 17th of February.

I don't know if that adequately answers your question. If not, let me know.

While I have your attention, I agree that the spell checker is not the best feature of this forum. It seems to assume that few spelling mistakes will occur. It contains American spelling in its dictionary and so will see correct English as incorrect. It also seems to be missing a few words.

The spell checker's dictionary can be modified by the administrator of the WebBoard to improve it but I think that's a job Ian Somers is unlikely to take on. I think your suggestion of using Word's spell checker is good or don't worry about spelling mistakes at all. I'm sure most people are only interested in the info. If it's good, we're hardly going to criticize the person for poor spelling.

Regards, Mike

Reply: 1.1.1

Thanks Mike_.

It makes sense now.

It is good idea to post old notes from time to time. At least we can see that some of the questions has raised and answered before.

And spelling, oh well, I guess we have to do our best and hopefully it will work out the right way. We can always ask again if it is any concern of interpritation.

Thank you.

Regards
Serge G.

Back