The "Why"...

Simon Sinek has a simple but powerful model for inspirational leadership all starting with a golden circle and the question "Why?"

His examples include Apple, Martin Luther King, and the Wright brothers -- and as a counterpoint Tivo, which (until a recent court victory that tripled its stock price) appeared to be struggling.

Interesting TED Talk, here:

http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action.html

-We usually know WHAT we do

-Some know HOW we do it

-But, do we know WHY?

I am inherently lazy.

Well thats not exactally true. I have spent my whole adult life (all 9 years of it) working my guts out. From Uni when I had to not only attend class but also pay my way through by working about 40hrs a week, to all my jobs where I dream of anything under 50hrs a week. I am now working 7 days a week for up 3 months straight. Admitedly now days I have at least put myself in a possition where I get 12weeks leave a year.

The why is easy - I dont want to spend my life working. I enjoy traveling, driving, boats, sports etc. All this costs a lot of money, however to have money you either need to a) work - and have no time to enjoy the money - or - b) invest like a maniac for 15 years and then have the rest of your life to enjoy your hard work.
Lock in b) thanks Eddie

Blacky, you can lead a nice lifestyle whilst investing. just means you may be a little slower getting there but at least its enjoyable.

Bumpity bump arrr rump-apum-pum...

OO

Why we do it?

We see something and think we can do that or improve something eg. (people who write books)

Why do we do it?
Reward $, experience eg. holiday, thrill

Why do we do it?
To provide shelter, security, comfort.

Why do we work for someone else = comfort, security & shelter.

Why do we branch out and start doing something different be it IP, starting a business, property developing - because we can choose to do this!

cheers
Sheryn

I just like the challenge. It keeps me busy. Is interesting. requires brain work and strategies and is addictive.

Also i love to have fun. And this requires money. I love being out and about. I am an adult version of ADD i can't sit still.

And i want to do it all. Why not. I will only live once so risk isn't a factor for me. Sure i calculate and add it in. But i am not controlled or ruled by fear. After everything i have seen, done, experienced. I am not scared of anything. Everything is worth a try (with research etc).

I don't say "WHY". I say "WHY NOT?"

j

and Joyce that brings us to the next question, what makes your brain what to think "Why not ?!" etc.

perhaps an interesting analogy, perhaps a long stretch, but hasnt even western medicine said something along the lines of we know what the heart does, we know the body neeeds it to do it, we know how it does it but we don;t know what makes it do it.. why does it work ?

Back