The Wolf of WALL ST

Following on from a post by Ausprop, I checked out Peter SWITZERS site for feedback on the latest RBA increase and saw this from the Wolf of WALL ST

Video Link

Now also a movie Link here by Martin Scorsese starring Leonardo DiCaprio

And a Book review

Could there be a more compelling poster child for the dark side of modern capitalism than Jordan Belfort?

As a 31-year-old multimillionaire stockbroker, Belfort once landed his helicopter on his back lawn, flying with just one eye open because he was so stoned he had double vision.

He sank his 50-metre motor yacht, complete with seaplane and helicopter, after overruling the captain and taking it into a Mediterranean storm.

He organised a midget-throwing contest to entertain brokers on his trading floor.

And when he wasn't completely out of his head on drugs, or getting executive relief from prostitutes in the presidential suites of luxury hotels, the man nicknamed "The Wolf of Wall Street" was presiding over a firm that swindled investors out of $US200 million ($A215 million) in a shares fraud that landed him and his chief confederates in prison.

Last edited:
May as well post the blurb on the movie WALL ST 2 "Money Never Sleeps" here also ;)

Clicky Link

Plot:
"Emerging from a lengthy prison stint, Gordon Gekko finds himself on the outside of a world he once dominated. Looking to repair his damaged relationship with his daughter, Gekko forms an alliance with her fiancé Jacob (Shia LaBeouf), and Jacob begins to see him as a father figure. But Jacob learns the hard way that Gekko – still a master manipulator and player – is after something very different from redemption."

images

I was getting excited about Wall St 2, then they pushed the release date out to make the Cannes film fest. Now I have to wait :(

Yeah me to, i must have watched the orginal Wall St more than 20 times.
Apparently Oliver Stone made the movie as a sought of moral fight back against wall st, but it ended up being an idolised movie of the wall st young guns.

Lunch is for wimps

I was also a fan of the original.

The young Charlie Sheen as the protege Bud Fox and youngish Michael Douglas as GG.

My favourite line when GG was asked " what about lunch" and GG replies....." Lunch is for wimps" . T'was at a time in the late 80's when I was working pretty hard myself and rarely indulged in midday sustenance. I would quote that line :p

Here's a few more I like:

GG to Bud Fox..............." The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's ********. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price per paper clip. We pick that rabbit out of the hat while everybody sits out there wondering how the hell we did it. Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it. You've got that killer instinct. Stick around pal, I've still got a lot to teach you."

And perhaps this from the moral Carl Fox to his son Bud........." Stop going for the easy buck and start producing something with your life. Create, instead of living off the buying and selling of others. "

That last one is sage for the times. Perhaps Lehman's, Goldmans et al should have paid attention to that one, instead of onselling smoke and mirrors in the scheme of Ponzi that now affects so many globally ;)

Thanks for the release date Mr. Wing. I can't wait. :D

Edit..........Here's a link to memorable quotes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094291/quotes

Last edited:
I saw that movie whilst I was living in the US when it first came out and literally saw it after 2 weeks after first visiting NYC. I soooo wanted to be Bud Fox - the wealth, the deals, the power, the girls.

...And perhaps this from the moral Carl Fox to his son Bud........." Stop going for the easy buck and start producing something with your life. Create, instead of living off the buying and selling of others. "

That last one is sage for the times. Perhaps Lehman's, Goldmans et al should have paid attention to that one, instead of onselling smoke and mirrors in the scheme of Ponzi that now affects so many globally ;)

Its ironic that the "90% of Americans with little or no net wealth" that actually paid and still paying for the Lehmans and related Ponzi schemes.

saw WALL ST 2 - Money Never Sleeps last week, funnily enough talking to the FIL he said that Money may not sleep but a couple of pensioners from the retirement village did when they saw it with him. Apparently they regularly go down and watch a movie then have a coffee and catch up afterwards as they discuss the movie (modern version of the Tuesday book Clubs?)

SALT got a good rating, but not WALL ST 2 or INCEPTION

On my part, I prefered the original but still found the sequel interesting

At first i thought Jordan Belfort was one of the poorest excuses for a human life not worth the oxygen he breathed.
I bought this book from a second hand shop, I still think crooks shouldn't profit from their crimes.
But maybe that's where i went wrong, in not having that attitude of steal anything from anyone to make money for drugs & hos.
And after being caught and ratting on all those around him, spin some more BS to take people's money. Once again pretending to be helping them making money.
Hard work makes money, Belfort BS make millions.
He calls it "powers of persuasion", or tell the suckers what they want to hear, then bleed them dry.
It seems he's now raising money to pay off old debts, maybe he can pimp out his gf. How much Jordan?

I'll likely end up watching the movie, but no chance of me paying for it, I wanna be a multimillionaire like him.

I don't know about anyone else, but I found Wall Street 2 quite boring. Also, I didn't like the actors in it (other than Michael Douglas of course or I wouldn't have bothered seeing it). Shia LeBouf was just horrid and so was the 12 year old who played his girlfriend. Yuk! Didn't like it at all!

SALT got a good rating, but not WALL ST 2 or INCEPTION

SALT - pensioner's rating - go see boring movie so loud it keeps you awake until the end. comment on Angie's lips.

WALL ST 2 - pensioner's rating - couldn't understnad why the old guy didn't have a pension. maybe the office he works in will provide one for him. boring.

INCEPTION - pensioner's rating - what? what did he say? sorry i missed that. how did they not die in the car if they were all asleep? what? what?

I don't know about anyone else, but I found Wall Street 2 quite boring. Also, I didn't like the actors in it (other than Michael Douglas of course or I wouldn't have bothered seeing it). Shia LeBouf was just horrid and so was the 12 year old who played his girlfriend. Yuk! Didn't like it at all!
I agree... hopeless.. too much romance. It needed more of what made Wall St 1 so good.
- the wealth, the deals, the power, the girls.
:D

another underwhelmed patron here.

lacking in suspense, plot intensity, character strength and depth.

Being a hard core leftie, Scorsese obviously thinks everyone idolizes greenies, no matter how limp.

The title of this thread gets me every time. I'm booking tradies at the moment. One of them I need to sandblast the paint off a wall. So I rang him up yesterday about that quote for the wall of Wolf St.

It may surprise the lefties and the righties alike on this forum that I actually dont mind teh Jordan Belfort Story.

Yes he is making money from beiing a reformed crook but I think his story is very important. Dont dangle money (in the world he lives) and no story.

In a world full of Enrons, Barings Banks, Hedge Funds, NAB, Rio Tinto and AWB scandles Jordan belforts story although sensationalistic and morally reprehensible is also a reflection of what DOES go on the world of Investment Banking and the like.

I know this because I lived it. When I say lived it - I mean I have been part of this culture and know how things operate. His story doesnt surprise me. What surprises me is how outsiders cant beleive the kind of morons who actually control billions of dollars of our money.

Thats why I have little faith in Financial Institutions and also why I think that a free market - if left too free, can screw up. No ones in charge people and the ones who think they are play a different game to you and I.

Jordan is a poster boy for smart people with no moral self awareness. Loved his books and post jail he actually shows remarkable self awareness. Very Insightful and honest accounts.

Cheers
Aussie

Same here. It was nowhere near as good as the original. After all the buildup it was a bit of a letdown, although some of the reviews (Gekko is subprime - Boom!) prepared me for the worst.

I thought my wife was going to go to sleep, and we went to an early evening showing. Her first words after it finished were, "I can't believe it went only two hours, it felt so much longer".

An "honest" account from a dishonest dope head?
Not in my book.

Ive met plenty of CEOS and 'respectable' bisuness people who do heavy drugs. You would be surprised. The higher you go the worse it gets.

Its like lawyers, soliciters and doctors - very high percentage who abuse drugs, suffer breakdowns and the like. That is the hidden reality.

Never said it was good!

Back