There is such thing as haunted houses?!

We have one the story was a Man hung himself in side the hallway but in the mid 1960's, we have had this one over 20 years,been flooded a few times,roof blew off,but it was only when the 2011 floods tenant did a runner and I slept inside the cleanout shell of the house,so the desperados
would not knock of the copper hws and the pipe work,started in the afternoon when I was under the house jacking the blown stumps back up,sounded like someone was walking up stairs,went up several times thinking someones there,same thing happened that night,even my dogs could tell that something was not right..

Yikes !

My family bought this hobby farm when l was a kid. Great big old farm house. To this day l still think l use to hear walking around in that place.
l lived up there on my own for 12mths once and l never did feel comfortable , ever. Who knows l guess.
l use to mentally ride the foot steps of as possums or something under the house , just so l could sleep.

Last edited:
That's weird , just last night l caught the end of a clip on the news . An RE agent was saying to the reporter , well if a house is 100yrs old , how far back are we suppose to report to a buyer , the people that died in that house. The whole 100yrs , the last 50 , what ?
Anyone see the rest of it ?

That's all l caught of it but this very subject must have came up on the news over the wkend. SOmeone must of had trouble with a haunted house .

I never really believed in any of this stuff. But some weird stuff has happened over the last few months that has me questioning.

We bought this house off my mum, we moved here when I was 13. My little sister was 9.

Since moving in here my two boys have never slept well - I just wrote it off as normal kid stuff. Then we moved to Sydney for a year - they slept perfectly fine in that house. Moved back here and again with the sleep problems.

I asked my biggest boy (age 8) what was going on. He described a man who would watch him while he slept. He had a beard and a hat on and he was not a nice man. Ok, a nightmare I thought. A week later I asked my 6yo who described the same man. Weird but not out of the question for brothers to be talking to each other. Then I remembered my little sister always used to sleep with a knife under her pillow (same bedroom). We always teased her about it. I rang her and asked why. She described the exact same man. I asked if she had ever talked to my boys about him and she said absolutely not, in fact she hadn't thought about it since she moved out (10+ years ago!).

The boys are sleeping on the couch until I can work out what to do. I'm trying to find out the history of the house (have done a title history search) but have only got back to the owner before my mum. Would love to find out more....

Oh, and I love the house. Never had any problems being here alone, never felt anything weird etc...

Tim I don't know if you are joking or trying to belittle those who believe these things. I've not experienced this stuff, but when one house has a turnover every six months or so, renters or purchasers, and the people who I know who've been in that house and won't go in again, and these people I know are normal (whatever that is), then I take what they say on face value.

You live in Brisbane. Let me organise that you stay the night in my friends house, where the young tough footballer refused to say. See you you go with your theories? I say, don't judge what other people see or feel.

We had a farm stay years ago and the old shearing shed was beside the original homestead. It was falling down, but the shearers slept in it to keep warm and dry. I cannot imagine many shearers 30 years ago being too namby pamby but they all refused to sleep in one room, and (from memory) stopped using the house.

A young shearer fell through a guard rail in the Blue Mountains and was haunting the house. He didn't die there, but dozens of tough, country men refused to sleep in the house. Riddle me that?

I say allow others to believe what they believe. I felt nothing in my friend's bathroom but her own family don't use it. Ridicule away, but I'll pay for you to spend the night in Boggo Road. A painter there a year or so ago when it was closed said none of the big, tough looking painters would stay after it started to get dark. Several saw a face at a particular window. So they all must be namby pamby hysterical blue collar painters?

Lets clarify something here. Smart people can believe stupid things. Strong people can believe stupid things.

Somehow trying to justify a claim because such and such is a tradie and that's what a tradie said or did or believed... I'm sorry that just doesn't count for ****.

Run me a falsifiable scientific based experiment with measurable variables that rules out all extraneous variables and finds consistent results proving something supernatural and I'll believe you.

Actually do that and you'll be an overnight millionaire because there are MANY atheist organizations putting up LOTS of money for any proof of anything supernatural. The reason James Randi still has his million dollars that he put forward and the reason why no one else has had to pay a cent...wait for it... it's because no one ever...EVER has EVER proved ANYTHING supernatural.

So yes the he said she said stuff is all well and good, but unfortunately a psychology degree and working full time for years with people with severe mental health conditions means that I don't just believe rubbish people claim with no evidence.

I wonder if any of you have actually even google searched scientific explanations for all these claims before blindly believing them.

I'm sure I sound like a *****. But you are all grown ups. This post is the equivalent of a bunch of kids talking about Santa Clause. "I saw Santa Clause last night" - "A friend of mine rode in Santa Clause's sleigh" - "Santa brought me so many presents and drank the milk and ate the cookies I left him".

That's all well and good to believe when you are 5 years old. But bloody hell if you heard a bunch of adults talking like that surely you'd roll your eyes.

Sure believe in ghosts but like any stupid beliefs don't be surprised if someone calls your belief stupid from time to time. This "rule" that everyone can believe whatever they want doesn't fly.

Do you know that 1 in 3 people will have a diagnosable mental health condition sometime in their life. Do you know how rubbish human perception is? Change blindness videos will hopefully enlighten. Do you know how easily human perception is manipulated by SO so many substances, drugs, gas leaks, lack of sleep, dehydration, blah blah blah blah. Yet you are trying to convince me to take people's second or third hand stories on face value.

And please let me clarify I'm not calling anyone here stupid. In fact extremely smart people can believe extremely stupid things. Superstitious beliefs and behavior is a result of pattern recognition which humans do so well, but evolution has made us see patterns when they are not there, because seeing a pattern that isn't there is more preferable to not seeing a pattern that is there. And pattern recognition ability is the foundation of the IQ test. So you can be well and truly seeing way too many patterns then are currently there as a result of having an incredibly high IQ. Which is why intelligence and appeals to authority based on such are rubbish. The only true test of a theory is the scientific method.

Skinner showed superstitious behaviour develop in pigeons years ago by randomly giving them food which they paired to certain behaviours while they received their food. So you had pigeons spinning in circles, jumping from perch to perch back and forth, and pecking at the same spot in the cage constantly. The difference here is we have language and we are able to point out to a fellow human when they have a belief that is simply superstitious nonsense.

l use to think oh well, who cares if it's only an investment house . But then , if tenants won't stay in it long and maybe one day it gets out , and then maybe you can't even sell it !
So really , even if your not gonna live in it, it could still lead to big problems .

I have never believed in this sort of things but.....

My first PPOR was a 'huge' (for Sydney) Victorian cottage, it was completely derelict but close to the station and a bargain price. The house was a bit creepy when I bought it but I put it down to the derelict state. The house was so creepy inside that I didn't want to be in any of the rooms alone and neither did anyone else. I had a friend come over and do a smudging ceremony the night I got the keys where he went around the rooms with a saucepan of burning incense rocks. At the end of the ceremony the saucepan broke and I felt much better in the house. I completely restored the house and never felt uncomfortable in it again. I ended up staying there 5 years and only sold as I outgrew it.

Lets clarify something here. Smart people can believe stupid things. Strong people can believe stupid things.

Somehow trying to justify a claim because such and such is a tradie and that's what a tradie said or did or believed... I'm sorry that just doesn't count for ****.

Run me a falsifiable scientific based experiment with measurable variables that rules out all extraneous variables and finds consistent results proving something supernatural and I'll believe you.

I don't really care if you believe me. I'm passing on stories I've heard. I don't believe or disbelieve. But I'm not so arrogant as to call someone who believes there "could" be something out there that we done understand "stupid".

Actually do that and you'll be an overnight millionaire because there are MANY atheist organizations putting up LOTS of money for any proof of anything supernatural. The reason James Randi still has his million dollars that he put forward and the reason why no one else has had to pay a cent...wait for it... it's because no one ever...EVER has EVER proved ANYTHING supernatural.

So yes the he said she said stuff is all well and good, but unfortunately a psychology degree and working full time for years with people with severe mental health conditions means that I don't just believe rubbish people claim with no evidence.

I wonder if any of you have actually even google searched scientific explanations for all these claims before blindly believing them.

I'm sure I sound like a *****. But you are all grown ups. This post is the equivalent of a bunch of kids talking about Santa Clause. "I saw Santa Clause last night" - "A friend of mine rode in Santa Clause's sleigh" - "Santa brought me so many presents and drank the milk and ate the cookies I left him".

I can see a difference, but then I don't have a fancy degree :roll eyes:.

That's all well and good to believe when you are 5 years old. But bloody hell if you heard a bunch of adults talking like that surely you'd roll your eyes.

Sure believe in ghosts but like any stupid beliefs don't be surprised if someone calls your belief stupid from time to time. This "rule" that everyone can believe whatever they want doesn't fly.

Do you know that 1 in 3 people will have a diagnosable mental health condition sometime in their life. Do you know how rubbish human perception is? Change blindness videos will hopefully enlighten. Do you know how easily human perception is manipulated by SO so many substances, drugs, gas leaks, lack of sleep, dehydration, blah blah blah blah. Yet you are trying to convince me to take people's second or third hand stories on face value.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything at all. I'm saying I don't judge like you seem to want to do. But if you think anybody is stupid who is open to allowing the possibility there is something going on, after thousands and thousands of normal people reporting such things, then so be it.

And please let me clarify I'm not calling anyone here stupid. In fact extremely smart people can believe extremely stupid things. Superstitious beliefs and behavior is a result of pattern recognition which humans do so well, but evolution has made us see patterns when they are not there, because seeing a pattern that isn't there is more preferable to not seeing a pattern that is there. And pattern recognition ability is the foundation of the IQ test. So you can be well and truly seeing way too many patterns then are currently there as a result of having an incredibly high IQ. Which is why intelligence and appeals to authority based on such are rubbish. The only true test of a theory is the scientific method.

Skinner showed superstitious behaviour develop in pigeons years ago by randomly giving them food which they paired to certain behaviours while they received their food. So you had pigeons spinning in circles, jumping from perch to perch back and forth, and pecking at the same spot in the cage constantly. The difference here is we have language and we are able to point out to a fellow human when they have a belief that is simply superstitious nonsense.

I'd still like you to spend the night in the house near me :D. All those people who didn't know each other, didn't know the story of the house and who up and left after short periods clearly were just stupid.

I'd still like you to spend the night in the house near me :D. All those people who didn't know each other, didn't know the story of the house and who up and left after short periods clearly were just stupid.

Yes I am judging superstition as stupid beliefs. The person holding them may or may not be stupid. There is a distinction there if you cared to look.

And I love the appeals to the masses, that thousands of people hold a belief and therefore it should be respected and not judged. Most of the world isn't educated, why would I just want to go along with the masses?

And I'm glad my degree didn't impress you. I shouldn't have wasted my time with formal education, I should have just spent my time listening to ghost stories and then forming my world view based on that.

Bah anyway it's only evidence and science that I'm banging on about here, what's the point of paying any attention to that sort of stuff right.

I have never believed in this sort of things but.....

My first PPOR was a 'huge' (for Sydney) Victorian cottage, it was completely derelict but close to the station and a bargain price. The house was a bit creepy when I bought it but I put it down to the derelict state. The house was so creepy inside that I didn't want to be in any of the rooms alone and neither did anyone else. I had a friend come over and do a smudging ceremony the night I got the keys where he went around the rooms with a saucepan of burning incense rocks. At the end of the ceremony the saucepan broke and I felt much better in the house. I completely restored the house and never felt uncomfortable in it again. I ended up staying there 5 years and only sold as I outgrew it.

Burning rocks to get rid of ghosts...

Okay yep I give up. Logic has no place here.

Bah anyway it's only evidence and science that I'm banging on about here, what's the point of paying any attention to that sort of stuff right.

Remember when civilisation thought the earth was flat. They didn't have the equipment or means to discover it was round until technology and thinking caught up to what is real.

There are lots of things that were thought that there was no way it could be real or happen but time has proven it wrong.

I'm not saying I believe in ghosts but nor am I saying that I don't believe they're real. I just think our technology isn't advanced enough to prove or disprove so in the meantime I will keep an open mind.

No I don't believe in Ghosts,God,spirits etc

I have a brother that is a Funeral Director has his own business in regional NSW and him and his family live on the premises.

It's a big old house situated away from other houses and not far from the Cemetary.
Anyway they keep the cool room at the back of the house where you walk down the stairs into a attic room.
Here I am one Saturday night sitting in the study area which has the door entrance to the downstairs cool room.
The door is always locked .
So here i am sitting in the study about 1am when everyone went to bed and I'm watching TV and..... There was a knocking sound coming from inside the cool room door !!! Yes someone was knocking to get out !!!

Anyway I knew it was my nephews playing tricks !!! With scary laughter .. Omg I nearly died myself !!

but sleeping or living in a house with bodies is common for country funeral directors and my brother has never ever saw a ghost and neither did I because ... It's all baloney !

Remember when civilisation thought the earth was flat. They didn't have the equipment or means to discover it was round until technology and thinking caught up to what is real.

There are lots of things that were thought that there was no way it could be real or happen but time has proven it wrong.

I'm not saying I believe in ghosts but nor am I saying that I don't believe they're real. I just think our technology isn't advanced enough to prove or disprove so in the meantime I will keep an open mind.

Technology isn't advanced enough? Video cameras have been around for a while now. But I'm sure there is some convoluted reason why those things apparently can't see ghosts when people apparently can.

In science you have to prove your theories before they are believed. They are not believed first or given the benefit of the doubt. That's why you've never been given an untested drug or treatment by a doctor.

I'm very open minded. But there is a difference between being open to scientific evidence and being open to people's bs he said she said claims.

Yes I am judging superstition as stupid beliefs. The person holding them may or may not be stupid. There is a distinction there if you cared to look.

And I love the appeals to the masses, that thousands of people hold a belief and therefore it should be respected and not judged. Most of the world isn't educated, why would I just want to go along with the masses?

And I'm glad my degree didn't impress you. I shouldn't have wasted my time with formal education, I should have just spent my time listening to ghost stories and then forming my world view based on that.

Exactly! Glad you are finally seeing some sense. :)

You know, I've never once said I actually believe in ghosts, but I'm certainly open to the concept. I know enough very normal people who have experienced things to keep an open mind. Think back to when they burned witches because they didn't understand them. Does that makes witches "real"? No, but it doesn't disprove anything either except that they burned people because they didn't understand and were afraid of what they didn't know about.

And as Kinnon said, the earth used to be flat, didn't it?

It still happens today (replace witches with something else).

Last edited:
Frankly I'd be more scared of real people than ghosts. People are far more dangerous and capable of harm than any supernatural being. When was the last time you heard a ghost sticking a knife into someone and stealing their wallet?

In most cases, the fear of ghosts is simply the fear of the unknown. If a ghost introduced himself to you formally, and told you about the time he got stone drunk and ran naked through the CBD then fell asleep in a fountain, you probably wouldn't be as afraid.

maybe a video isn't the right technology to record these type of events. Did atoms exist before we had the technology to see them? Did protons and neutrons? Did cells in your body exist before microscopes? Did the earth revolve around the sun before we could quantify it?
I could put links to dozens of videos of "ghosts"( for lack of a better word) but I am guessing that Tim would say they were all fakes, tricks of light etc. and you know what? They might be. They also might not be. If you can't prove it is a fake through scientific methods......
Like the others on here I have had some experiences that I can't explain. Ghosts? I dunno. Other dimensional beings? I dunno. Some kind of energy memory? I dunno. Psychosis? My shrink says no :D
I am open minded and I think that we don't have all the answers. I am comfortable with the thought that there might be "energy" out there that we aren't aware of yet.
Like gravity was for millions of years, we could "feel" it effects i.e. we didn't fly off the planet and we fell over every now and then but we didn't know how to measure it, we couldn't see it, hear it, we still can't video it......

http://www.outerplaces.com/science/...n-one-direction-fans-with-theoretical-physics

While fielding questions about the origins of our cosmos, the future of theoretical physics, and humanity's place in the universe, Steven Hawking was asked the most important question of all: "What do you think is the cosmological effect of Zayn leaving One Direction and consequently breaking the hearts of millions of teenage girls across the world?"

His answer was epic and suitably technical: "Finally, a question about something important. My advice to any heartbroken young girl is to pay close attention to the study of theoretical physics. Because one day there may well be proof of multiple universes. It would not be beyond the realms of possibility that somewhere outside of our own universe lies another different universe. And in that universe, Zayn is still in One Direction. This girl may like to know that in another possible universe, she and Zayn are happily married."

If Hawking was replying to this thread he could well have said: In that universe that dead person is still alive. :eek: :D

I like the way the logic is going here.

I think it should be applied to other beings as well.

There are non scientifically verified videos of things like unicorns. Are they fake? I don't know. Best to keep an open mind.

And does the tooth fairy really exist but we just haven't gotten the right measuring device to detect her yet? Maybe. Best to keep an open mind.

What do they say about having your mind so open that your brain falls out?

I like the way the logic is going here.

I think it should be applied to other beings as well.

There are non scientifically verified videos of things like unicorns. Are they fake? I don't know. Best to keep an open mind

And does the tooth fairy really exist but we just haven't gotten the right measuring device to detect her yet? Maybe. Best to keep an open mind..
Define what is considered a unicorn first and a tooth fairy first
What do they say about having your mind so open that your brain falls out?
Can happen :D

Back