things looking up in SE Q'land - Michael Matusik

Another article from a respected commentator about Q'land picking up

Back in the black: Things are finally looking up for South-East Queensland
By Michael Matusik
Thursday, 21 November 2013

The tipping point between caution and optimism has finally passed.

It is often a fine line, but sometime in the past six weeks it has gone from dark to light (well, lighter) when it comes to residential real estate across South-East Queensland.

Property cycle

There is an eight year property cycle ? yes, the text books talk about seven years ? but the Australian statistics suggest it lasts about eight years. But what?s one more year between friends. Usually, it is five years of good and three years of, well?not so good.

But for more than five years, South-East Queensland real estate has been subdued to say the least. The 2008 financial knock-down began a slump that was prolonged by deluges, cyclones and domestic political uncertainty.

But now it looks like South-East Queensland has just started to enter its growth phase. It is likely to be growth this time round, not GROWTH! But we are going to the black side of the ledger and finally leaving the red. About time!

Sales volumes

Sales volumes are up across South-East Queensland for the first time in years.

When looking at detached house sales for the last 12 months:
Sunshine Coast 5,800 sales (up 26% on year before)

Moreton Bay 6,650 sales (up 21%)

Brisbane City 16,000 sales (up 14%)

Redlands 2,600 sales (up 23%)

Gold Coast 6,500 sales (up 22%)

Logan 4,000 sales (up 18%)

Ipswich 2,800 sales (up 12%)

Lockyer Valley 526 sales (up 29%)

Toowoomba 3,250 sales (up 25%)

When it comes to apartment sales, they are also up ? 27% on the Sunshine Coast; 3% in Brisbane (apartment sales in Brisbane have been rising for two years now, with today?s volumes up 19% on 2011 figures)and up 20% on the Gold Coast on last year.

Townhouse trading is also increasing, quite quickly in fact, up 49% on the Sunshine Coast (it must be all that new Kawana infrastructure, hey Kochie!); up 20% in Moreton Bay (Caboolture; Pine Rivers and Redcliffe); up 23% in Brisbane; up 27% in Redlands; 17% on the Gold Coast and 22% in Logan. Falls in townhouse sales are still occurring in Ipswich and in Toowoomba.

Increasing prices

End prices are also starting to rise across South-East Queensland. Price rises always lag sale volumes.

When looking at typical detached house prices for the last 12 months:
Sunshine Coast $453,000 (up 4% on year before)

Moreton Bay $390,000 (up 3%)

Brisbane City $520,000 (up 4%)

Redlands $455,000 (up 4%)

Gold Coast $490,000 (up 6%)

Logan $353,000 (up 1%)

Ipswich $298,000 (up 2%)

Lockyer Valley $290,000 (up 4%)

Toowoomba $327,000 (up 10%)

A similar trend can be seen for apartment and townhouse sales across the south east corner of the state.

The entry-level market - up to $500,000 (oh, and how it is so easy to dismiss half a million bucks these days) ? is quite strong and occupies a large part of the price bell curve. There is still a lot of property priced under $250,000 across Queensland, and even in the more populated and relatively expensive South-East.

Sydney leads

Traditionally, South-East Queensland lags the southern markets, following behind Sydney by about 18 months and when their market is moving, then twelve months behind Melbourne/Victoria.

Investors (and some residents) are forced out of the southern markets. I read that Sydney?s current median price is $690,000 and BIS Shrapnel are predicting it to exceed $800,000 within the next three years.

I recently suggested at a housing conference presentation that the Brisbane (region) median detached house price could reach something like $530,000 over a similar time frame (mid 2016). Many in the room smirked, some even guffawed. Today, the middle price across the Brisbane region is about $450,000. So $25,000 or a 5% gain per annum over the next three years, doesn?t seem that unrealistic to me.

More jobs

Anyway, that is really academic for now. In order for South-East Queensland to experience such price growth, more jobs need to be created in Queensland. Whilst investors will follow potential, interstate migrants move because of work first; cheaper housing second and a distant third, because of our warmer climate.

Whilst mining is holding up somewhat better than many expected (for now) and gas, tourism (somewhat) and agribusiness is helping Queensland?s economy, new housing construction, as we pointed out last week, is the missing ingredient.

Easier housing construction means more jobs. More jobs mean more interstate migrants, which will lead to more sales and higher end prices.

The South-East Queensland market during 2014 depends on one thing - new jobs.

I've been seeing similar things, with more people bidding at Auction and properties selling for closer to advertised price with less time on the market.
2014 is going to be an interesting year in Brisbane.

"closer to advertised price?" try site unseen offers over asking price!
the gold rush is on my friends.

Nevertheless, MM would impress me more if he clarified where the new jobs are.
Personally, I've never seen so many IT, mining, and public servants hitting the unemployment ranks, as I have in the last 12 mths. And roll on Qantas...doesn't matter about GM, afaik they don't employ many in SE Qld.

Though at the end of the day, I suppose it comes down to whether Syd/Mel are worse.

"closer to advertised price?" try site unseen offers over asking price!
the gold rush is on my friends.

Nevertheless, MM would impress me more if he clarified where the new jobs are.
Personally, I've never seen so many IT, mining, and public servants hitting the unemployment ranks, as I have in the last 12 mths. And roll on Qantas...doesn't matter about GM, afaik they don't employ many in SE Qld.

Though at the end of the day, I suppose it comes down to whether Syd/Mel are worse.

I think campbell newman is hoping mining and gas revenue will filter through to the broader ecomomy creating jobs in the process-as what happened in past. Time will tell....

This is interesting, thanks for the info.

Logan $353,000 (up 1%)

Ipswich $298,000 (up 2%)

I have a property in Nerang and the agents are selling stock now as investors and FHB have jumped into this market, sounds like this market is now recovering.

This is interesting, thanks for the info.

Logan $353,000 (up 1%)

Ipswich $298,000 (up 2%)

I have a property in Nerang and the agents are selling stock now as investors and FHB have jumped into this market, sounds like this market is now recovering.

Inflation is 2.2% so in real terms Logan has had growth of -1.2%

As far as any of these areas go my only interest would be in potential future growth, the indicators I look for is supply vs demand, how quickly properties are selling today, how much stock on the market. We know the market has been flat, however once we start seeing some of these changes then there is probably a good chance that investors who get in early will capture the growth.

As far as any of these areas go my only interest would be in potential future growth, the indicators I look for is supply vs demand, how quickly properties are selling today, how much stock on the market. We know the market has been flat, however once we start seeing some of these changes then there is probably a good chance that investors who get in early will capture the growth.

I completely agree. Like others on here I like certain areas of Brisbane, imo barring any floods or natural disasters the "affordable" suburbs should see growth shortly.

I don't like seeing potentially misleading statistics published hence why I comment. Really consider what costs are involved, and what growth has or could be achieved. The goal of the guru is to sell, they do this through manipulation of data to create hype and entice the consumer into an impulsive buy.

I understand and agree, stats can be fudged and can be very confusing and I have also found in many cases conflicting information. I am a simple person, I would rather find out from people who are living/working on the ground as to what is happening.

At the end of the day it really is not rocket science, if one identifies an area of interest and gets on the net and everything is under offer, probably a good chance things a moving, start to dig deeper.

I've started looking for properties within 10km from CBD in Brisbane, to purchase as my PPOR and hopefully rent out later. I work in the CBD, so was looking at freestanding houses at Wooloowin, Albion, Grange, Windsor, Coorparoo, Holland Park, Fairfield, Annerley and East Brisbane pretty much anywhere.

Went to a few open houses on the weekend and there are always 10-20 groups per property. Even went to a 'dump' at Camp Hill and there were people all over it.

Basically anything that's 3x1x1 on a 400m2 block of land is asking $550-$600+ and all selling in less than a week with 6-8 backup contracts some higher than asking price. Apparently all the Southern investors are coming up and throwing money at property. It's not even the end of Jan yet!

I've started looking for properties within 10km from CBD in Brisbane, to purchase as my PPOR and hopefully rent out later. I work in the CBD, so was looking at freestanding houses at Wooloowin, Albion, Grange, Windsor, Coorparoo, Holland Park, Fairfield, Annerley and East Brisbane pretty much anywhere.

Went to a few open houses on the weekend and there are always 10-20 groups per property. Even went to a 'dump' at Camp Hill and there were people all over it.

Basically anything that's 3x1x1 on a 400m2 block of land is asking $550-$600+ and all selling in less than a week with 6-8 backup contracts some higher than asking price. Apparently all the Southern investors are coming up and throwing money at property. It's not even the end of Jan yet!

Yes, its no surprise that brisbane is moving. Not the sydney kinda movement of 2013 but it is showing strength.

Of the suburbs you mentioned, yes they are all good ones. Camp Hill is a fantastic suburb [id say better than all the ones you have mentioned] and thats why even a 'dump' as you called it will have plenty of interest.

Anecdotal evidence- yes, the southerners [ syd/mel]are looking at brisbane as properties in syd/mel are just too expensive compared to their salary growth [ which in most cases is nowhere near house price growth- therefore making property a much more expensive proposition in their home states].

Yes, its no surprise that brisbane is moving. Not the sydney kinda movement of 2013 but it is showing strength.

Of the suburbs you mentioned, yes they are all good ones. Camp Hill is a fantastic suburb [id say better than all the ones you have mentioned] and thats why even a 'dump' as you called it will have plenty of interest.

Anecdotal evidence- yes, the southerners [ syd/mel]are looking at brisbane as properties in syd/mel are just too expensive compared to their salary growth [ which in most cases is nowhere near house price growth- therefore making property a much more expensive proposition in their home states].

Your tight there eew

We bought a 3 bed house (old school) on 1400 Sqm in Birkdale for 370k.massive renno (30k) and we will be able to rent out for 400 a week
5% yield on a subdividable block with the house at the back

Where we live in melbourne is a similar sort of area to Birkdale and a similar property would be worth at least 1.5 mill

Back